• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gijon in contrast

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Primitivo 2019
Norte September (2022)
Walked into Gijon yesterday late afternoon and it made my day walking along the beach front after a long day with no bars open on a Sunday. The dogs where on the beach having a great time. I walked out the next morning into the industrial heartland past the steel works the contrasts was interesting. I know it’s not for everyone and I believe a lot of people try to avoid this area but that’s what is real too.

Attachments

• IMG_0927.MOV
    51.5 MB
  • DA188F9A-3142-49DB-B482-39CAB083EF48.jpeg
    DA188F9A-3142-49DB-B482-39CAB083EF48.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 795
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yep. That too is the Camino - The good, the bad and the ugly! I've walked that stage from Gijon on two occasions, the last time this past July and luckily that first industrial part only lasted about an hour then you are into the forest with pleasant paths.

For those who complain about leaving Leon (which by the way I also have done x number of times and don't get the complaints), this is a whole other story.

I agree. I walked the Norte in September 2019 and really enjoyed the stretch into, through and beyond Gijon. The contrast between the elegant seafront and the somewhat grim industrial landscape that follows is all part of the attraction of The Way. Good luck with the rest of your Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's nice to hear people say good things about Gijon. My husband and I rented an airbnb and spent over a week in Gijon at the end of our spring 2019 camino. We really liked staying there. We weren't looking for anything touristy. We just wanted to pretend we were living in Spain for a while. Here is a blog post I wrote about it: https://crowley.pw/cdn2019/2019/05/07/living-in-gijon/

Walked into Gijon yesterday late afternoon and it made my day walking along the beach front after a long day with no bars open on a Sunday. The dogs where on the beach having a great time. I walked out the next morning into the industrial heartland past the steel works the contrasts was interesting. I know it’s not for everyone and I believe a lot of people try to avoid this area but that’s what is real too.
Thanks for sharing this video, I was in Gijon in June - beautiful! And all those dogs playing on the beach... in my preparation for the Norte (and my first Camino) all I seemed to read about dogs were how many were chained and behaved aggressively. I was so surprised by how many loved and friendly dogs we met along the way. And for my two kids missing home and our beloved dog and cat, they took every opportunity for furry cuddles. I can't imagine our Camino without these creatures (and their kind owners) to entertain us and lift our spirits.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back