• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gijon to Santiago on Norte

jurissuits

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France (from Sarria) in April/May 2010, Camino Primitivo in May 2013
Hi, everyone,
making up my mind about Norte on May 2016. Found a lot of information with different numbers. How far is it? Around 360 kms?
Is it possible to walk in less than two weeks? I've done Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago in 8 days but that was 3 years ago... Now I'm 57..

Any suggestions?

jurissuits from Latvia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's around 350 kms. Whether you can make it in less than 2 weeks will depend on your level of fitness and other factors so it's difficult to say but if you made the Primitivo in 8 days you should be able to make the route from Gijón to Santiago in less than 2 weeks even if you are now 3 years older.

Hi, everyone,
making up my mind about Norte on May 2016. Found a lot of information with different numbers. How far is it? Around 360 kms?
Is it possible to walk in less than two weeks? I've done Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago in 8 days but that was 3 years ago... Now I'm 57..

I did it in 8 days last year and I'm no spring chicken either

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, everyone,

Any suggestions?

jurissuits from Latvia
Well, the Eroski website has it in 12 days, and 13 for the Primitivo. Take a look there and see how the distances compare.

Hi, everyone,

Any suggestions?

jurissuits from Latvia

Jurissuits:

You can walk from Gijon to Santiago in 14 days.

Just do not be disappointed by the first day. It is the ugliest day on the Norte, imo, very industrial. The rest of the Norte is great.

Ultreya,
Joe

"The Northern Caminos" book has Oviedo to Santiago in 11 stages and you walked it in 8 days

From Gijon, it has 13 stages while the red Rother book has 12 stages and a standard of just under 100 hours walking to Santiago

You should be fine

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Once I get to Oviedo on my my spring/summer walk I plan to walk on to Gijon in a day to visit friends and afterwards walk to Villaviciosa and start the Primitivo there, taking 2 days to Oviedo and then 12 more to Santiago. Does this help at all?

OK, thanks so far. Seems that I've been overly optimistic planning to reach Santiago in 10 days.. Must add a couple of days. Perhaps somebody knows if there are albergues between official stages? I mean if I pass the end of the stage are there albergues some 10-15 kms further?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perhaps somebody knows if there are albergues between official stages?

There aren't official stages. Guidebooks quote stages based on the preferences of the author(s) but they are just for reference (and may difer among authors) and nothing official. Anyone is free to walk at whatever pace s/he wants, making as much (or as less) stages as s/he wants and stopping to sleep wherever s/he wants.

I mean if I pass the end of the stage are there albergues some 10-15 kms further?

Take a look at http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte to know what towns along the route have an albergue and plan accordingly. As you will see, some towns that aren't quoted as end point of a stage have an albergue too. Another useful website is www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-del-norte that includes info not only about albergues but also about other accommodations like hotels, hostales, casas rurales, pensiones...

OK, thanks so far. Seems that I've been overly optimistic planning to reach Santiago in 10 days.. Must add a couple of days. Perhaps somebody knows if there are albergues between official stages? I mean if I pass the end of the stage are there albergues some 10-15 kms further?
Just take a look at the Eroski website, it will list all the albergues.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You're quite right - from Irun it took me 20 days but from Gijon it was 8 days along the Norte (not the Primitivo) - apologies for the confusion
Spursfan, could you share your daily stages you made from Gijon to Santiago please? With albergues you stayed in if possible.

And remember folks, please don't try this at home!
Gijon - Soto del Barco - Cadavedo - Navia - Vilela - Abadin - Baamonde - Boimorto - Santiago
Thanks, Spursfan, you can relax. We're not gonna try it at home. We'll try it on Camino.. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And remember folks, please don't try this at home!
Gijon - Soto del Barco - Cadavedo - Navia - Vilela - Abadin - Baamonde - Boimorto - Santiago

That is some walking! Looks like you had a few days in or around 50KMs. You must have been walking for about 10 hours per day.

I did 50KM once and swore never again. :eek:

Hi, everyone,

Any suggestions?

jurissuits from Latvia

Hello!

Just wondering how you achieved walking the Primitivo in 8 days? I am not looking to run, but this would greatly aide in my planning process.

Thank you and God Bless!

Alissa

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.