• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

gijon to santiago

azzy

Time of past OR future Camino
june (2016)
I am walking the camino in June but cannot decide to take the portugese costal route from porto or the north route from gijon to santiago. any info would be appreciated

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am walking the camino in June but cannot decide to take the portugese costal route from porto or the north route from gijon to santiago. any info would be appreciated

Azzy:

I can not speak for the Portuguese route but the Norte from Gijon to Santiago is a great walk with the exception of the first day. Gijon to Aviles is very industrial. After that it is a great walk, mostly along the coast until you reach Galacia where the route turns inward. It is the gentlest part of the Norte but a great walk.

You could also consider the Primitivo. Gijon to Oviedo is only a one day walk. The Primitivo is also a great walk through mostly rural areas with some great mountain views to the south.

Either choice would be good.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Azzy:

I can not speak for the Portuguese route but the Norte from Gijon to Santiago is a great walk with the exception of the first day. Gijo to Aviles is very industrial. After that it is a great walk, mostly along the coast until you reach Galacia and the route turns inward. It is the gentlest part of this Norte but a great walk.

You could also consider the Primitivo. Gijon to Oviedo is only a one day walk. The Primitivo is also a great walk through mostly rural areas with some great mountain views to the south.

Either choice would be good.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thank you Joe. It will be my first time and the more I read about it the more i dont know which way to go. i really like being on the coast but the experience is one i cant wait to have no matter what route i take.
Azzy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We loved the Norte - stayed on it and did not take the Primitivo. No regrets. The walking, particularly in Galicia, is lovely.

We loved the Norte - stayed on it and did not take the Primitivo. No regrets. The walking, particularly in Galicia, is lovely.

Hi Jazzy. I found your post and will be following it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ann, I have been getting a thumbs up from two women who walked the Portuguese route. Look at my posts

The issue with Gijon to Santiago is that you miss the best of the oceanside walking at the beginning of the route. You will however get 130km or so. And the beach just after Ribadeo - La Catedrales is spectacular. We took an extra day and went to walk around the amazing rock formations! Either way - Buen Camino

Kathy

The issue with Gijon to Santiago is that you miss the best of the oceanside walking at the beginning of the route. You will however get 130km or so. And the beach just after Ribadeo - La Catedrales is spectacular. We took an extra day and went to walk around the amazing rock formations! Either way - Buen Camino

Kathy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you!! We did decide to walk the Portugal coastal route..can't wait see the rock formations.. thanks for tip

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back