• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Girl walking Camino in mid September looking for advice

Alenka

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello peregrinos!

To begin with I must say this forum is absolutely great.
I am new here...I am planning my Camino in mid September and I have been reading posts here and looking at pictures for the past couple of weeks. Very helpful!
Also it is very nice to see how all of you guys love the Camino. makes me even more excited about my upcoming trip.

Even though I have done a lot of research I would like to get some advice from you guys, who have done it.

I have 14 days for it and I want to do the French route.
My plan is to start from Leon...I figured the distance by some guide....and it is also very easy to reach from Madrid. I have also included a bufer of two days. question is, is it doable? I am in a good physical shape, I like trekking, but never walked such distances.....

Also, was wondering about the sleeping mat. I see on the posted pics, some people do carry it. I wasnt planning to. What do you think? Do I need it?

And lastly clothes....Would it be cold enough to have a feather vest?
And the poncho quality...I have a simple one from a market.. do you guys recommend to buy a pro one?

Thank you in advance for your helpful comments!

Alena

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think 2 weeks from Leon is definitely doable.. It took me 12 days and my preparation was Camino itself
I would suggest a ferrino trekker raincoat.. It worked great for me.. In addition it works as great 3rd layer
I took the sleeping mat but didn't need it

Buen Camino!

Alena, Leon to Santiago is probably doable in 12 days but depending on how Camino fit you are. You will need to walk nearly 320K in that time, averaging some 27K a day, everyday. Many pilgrims who have commenced their journeys in St Jean or Pamplona have built up stamina and are "Camino fit" by the time they get to Leon, such daily distances are easier then. Setting out anew you are urged by many to take it slowly at the start.

You might wish to consider starting in Astorga or Ponferrada.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tincatinker has the right of it...pressing from Leon leaves you precious room for sight seeing, smelling the roses, getting a nice Camino tan, or...a broken leg.
This is your first Camino and the experience should be one of excitement and wonder...not sweat (OK...girls don't sweat, they glisten) and trudging along.
Take your time...the Camino beckons.
Arn

320 km is a lot for 12 days.

You likely won't need a sleeping pad.

You need a jacket at least for evenings ... a down jacket would be light but it doesn't perform well when it gets wet.

You do need good rain gear. The squalls in Galacia are over quickly but they put down a lot of water in a short time. Risks that go with inadequate rain gear are hypothermia and a soggy pack.

Doable, but I would plan to start at either Hospital De Orbigo or Astorga by getting to Leon and taking a bus/train to either one of those. At a minimum, from Leon to Hospital you will NOT be missing much. There are gorgeous sections on the stretch after Hospital De Orbigo and you will really want to slow down and take in the scenery, history, even the Camino in itself.

I took a windbreaker and used clothing layers to warm up when needed. I also took a poncho for raingear and that was all I needed. When it rains torrentially on the Camino nothing is waterproof, so might as well just worry about those days of misty or moderate rain. There was only one day on my entire Camino that it rained torrentially (between Villatuerta and Estella) and we sought shelter at an old barn until it passed. Afterwards, we got on the Camino which had flooded with waters to our kness and we kept going, even had to "daisy-chain" to crossed a flooding bridge (of course American pilgrims were the first ones on the line :); I still emailed with one of them!). I also had misty rainy days every day from Logrono to Burgos; again, a poncho was fine. The only caveat that I found with the poncho was if it was windy. The wind lifted the poncho sometimes which could get annoying. Otherwise, easy to put in a hurry and it keeps you dry while also ventilated. Hope this helps. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
BTW, pilgrims the weather here on 7 Sept is wonderful. It took several months for summer to arrive and it finally did so last week!

BTW, pilgrims the weather here on 7 Sept is wonderful. It took several months for summer to arrive and it finally did so last week!
Dan-- very glad you are enjoying the weather in Spain. How is the knee coming along? Hope all is well.

Olivares, you are a sweetheart for asking. Some day I will be walking again just like all the other pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Olivares, you are a sweetheart for asking. Some day I will be walking again just like all the other pilgrims.
Dan-- Once a pilgrim, always a pilgrim ;)! I was struggling the day we met at O'Biduedo and knowing that you were in pain, I could NOT believe my eyes when I saw you later on in Triacastela (as a matter of fact, I was sure I was confusing you with somebody else!). You are a true pilgrim and I can only wish you Buen Camino!

Doable, but I would plan to start at either Hospital De Orbigo or Astorga by getting to Leon and taking a bus/train to either one of those. At a minimum, from Leon to Hospital you will NOT be missing much. There are gorgeous sections on the stretch after Hospital De Orbigo and you will really want to slow down and take in the scenery, history, even the Camino in itself.

I took a windbreaker and used clothing layers to warm up when needed. I also took a poncho for raingear and that was all I needed. When it rains torrentially on the Camino nothing is waterproof, so might as well just worry about those days of misty or moderate rain. There was only one day on my entire Camino that it rained torrentially (between Villatuerta and Estella) and we sought shelter at an old barn until it passed. Afterwards, we got on the Camino which had flooded with waters to our kness and we kept going, even had to "daisy-chain" to crossed a flooding bridge (of course American pilgrims were the first ones on the line :); I still emailed with one of them!). I also had misty rainy days every day from Logrono to Burgos; again, a poncho was fine. The only caveat that I found with the poncho was if it was windy. The wind lifted the poncho sometimes which could get annoying. Otherwise, easy to put in a hurry and it keeps you dry while also ventilated. Hope this helps. Buen Camino.

Thank you guys for helpful answers!
I will do start from Hospital de Orbigo or Astorga.
I also managed to get a poncho today. happy day!
I have one more thing to ask though.
when I arrive to my first albergue on the first day after travelling from Madrid, can I present myself with empty passport and be eligible for pilgrim accomodation?
I ordered the passport online and hopefully will get it before I leave. :)

Thank you!

A.

when I arrive to my first albergue on the first day after travelling from Madrid, can I present myself with empty passport and be eligible for pilgrim accomodation?
I ordered the passport online and hopefully will get it before I leave. :)

Thank you!

A.
Alenka, of course you can, everyone has to start somewhere :cool:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Alenka I didn't need a sleeping pad, but I cut a section from a yoga mat to use as a pad to keep my backside clean and dry when I took a sit down break. As regards a vest, I took a feather one last year and found it was not good under a raincoat - it ended up very damp. This year I bought a lightweight fleece with zip out sleeves and for me this was perfect solution.
Buen camino!

And, what makes you so sure the other pilgrims are walking?
Look around, I'll bet some are trudging, some walking with purpose, some skipping and, the odd pilgrim not walking at all. Oh, the last pilgrim is probably me relaxing under and umbrella with a cool, icy cerveza waiting for Alenka.
Buen "It's five o'clock somewhere!" Camino,

Arn

@Alenka I didn't need a sleeping pad, but I cut a section from a yoga mat to use as a pad to keep my backside clean and dry when I took a sit down break. As regards a vest, I took a feather one last year and found it was not good under a raincoat - it ended up very damp. This year I bought a lightweight fleece with zip out sleeves and for me this was perfect solution.
Buen camino!
Magwood,

thank you for your comment.
My sleeping big is very warm...and weights 1.5 kilo.
It will be a significant difference in weight if I dont carry it with me.
But I do get very cold......but maybe I could get a lighter one.
What do you mean, you didnt need one....there are blankets in the albergues? If so, do they have possibly enough
that I could have two when worse comes to worse? Or do they have heatings there? :)

Thank you!

A.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And, what makes you so sure the other pilgrims are walking?
Look around, I'll bet some are trudging, some walking with purpose, some skipping and, the odd pilgrim not walking at all. Oh, the last pilgrim is probably me relaxing under and umbrella with a cool, icy cerveza waiting for Alenka.
Buen "It's five o'clock somewhere!" Camino,

Arn

:)

Magwood,

What do you mean, you didnt need one....there are blankets in the albergues? If so, do they have possibly enough
that I could have two when worse comes to worse? Or do they have heatings there? A.

When I referred to a sleeping pad, I guess I mean what you refer to as a sleeping mat, ie a foam rubber type insulation layer. Like I said I took a small section to use as a pad when sitting down on the ground.
Personally I would take a sleeping bag, but not one that weighs 1.5 kilos, that is way too heavy. You could easily half that weight and have a bag that is warm enough for September/October. Albergues do mostly have blankets, but not all of them, so if you tend to get cold you should definitely take a bag. A lot of pilgrims also take a ultra lightweight silk liner as well, which will give extra warmth or can be used alone if the nights are very warm.
I also took a treated under sheet which acts as a barrier to bed bugs. If you want more details and links take a look at my blog post of my assessment of gear here. It's a bit detailed but you can scroll down to the section on sleeping gear.

When I referred to a sleeping pad, I guess I mean what you refer to as a sleeping mat, ie a foam rubber type insulation layer. Like I said I took a small section to use as a pad when sitting down on the ground.
Personally I would take a sleeping bag, but not one that weighs 1.5 kilos, that is way too heavy. You could easily half that weight and have a bag that is warm enough for September/October. Albergues do mostly have blankets, but not all of them, so if you tend to get cold you should definitely take a bag. A lot of pilgrims also take a ultra lightweight silk liner as well, which will give extra warmth or can be used alone if the nights are very warm.
I also took a treated under sheet which acts as a barrier to bed bugs. If you want more details and links take a look at my blog post of my assessment of gear here. It's a bit detailed but you can scroll down to the section on sleeping gear.

Great! Thank you, very helpful!

A.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thank you!!!

Hi Alenka!
I just finish my Camino in august, and it took me 15 days from Leon to Santiago, but I´m not very fit myself, so I guess depending of your training is perfectly possible in the days that you have.
I carry a mat, but after the 5th day (I start from SJPP) I decided send it home, along with a lot other stuff I didn´t really need it. And never regret it. So, I just leave that at home. I also walk with other people who carry it too, and they didn´t used it, not once. At leaset that you plan camp it´s not really necessary. But my sleeping bag was my best friend at night, it was light but hot in off most of the time.
About the clothes that was really a touchy subject to me. I walk all July and finish in August, so summer, right? not quite, at lease not for me (I´m from Venezuela), I need to buy swetters, and a raincoat (the one I took was to light). I´m not sure about the weather in September, but a good raincoat for me was the solution, I also used it for the wind, specialy the morning leaving O Cebreiro. And the rest I work with layers, a lot in the morning and less and less later. At Galicia its almost all the time raining so be prepared for that.
The mayority of albergues doesn´t have any kind of mants, especially in Galicia. So don´t count with that.
Good Luck and Buen Camino!

This poncho may work for you. I have it and find it a very good compromise between function, cost, quality, and weight. Whatever you do, keep it light. Some are made very durable but also heavy. Consider a middle way options. On a funny note, I did see a few people in plastic garbage bags during my walk earlier this summer - but then that was probably the lightest option of all. Enjoy your Camino!

Kelty Adult Rain Poncho
by Kelty
Link: http://amzn.com/B004GEQ5T6

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Magwood,

that I could have two when worse comes to worse? Or do they have heatings there? :)

Thank you!

A.
Hi,

I did the route from Leon to Santiago late May/early June. We took 13 days with 11 walking days (2 days off). My observation is Leon is well worth seeing but the trip from there to Hospital del Orbigo is OK but could be missed. Because of inclement weather we bused from Astorga to Ponferrada. That is one regret I have as we missed the Iron Cross but there was snow in the mountains and we were not equipped. Oh well next time. But beware, there can be snow at high altitudes in late May or late September.

I agree with an earlier commentator, the Camino is to be enjoyed not rushed so you may wish to consider busing from Leon to Hospital and if you need to, again from Villafranca (valley walk along highway then steep climbs) to O'Cebreiro or O'Cebreiro to Tr1castella. You will know by then how you are walking and your stamina so you don't need to decide until then.

I heard the Albergue Verde in Hospital is highly recommended and very comfortable.

I did not bring a sleeping bag, just a bag liner. Next time I will bring a sleeping bag. While most albergues had blankets, I would have preferred my own bag for cleanliness and warmth. There are some wonderful, very light weight, breathable bags available.

I did bring a poncho from home, but not much better than a plastic bag. The winds made short work of it on day 2. In Astorga I bought a poncho/long jacket. It fits like a poncho but zips up and has sleeves. Fit over my backpack easily and with a little practice I could put in on while walking and get it in place. It kept me and my pack dry and while it provided good insulation, I didn't feel like I was in a sauna. Loved having sleeves for flexibility.

May was my first Camino but it will not be my last. I am thinking of the same route next September and plan to do SJPP to Santiago in 2016.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back