• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gite in Espelette open in october???

yvonne75

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francès, via de la plata, camino del norte, camino portuguès, camino primitivo,
Does anyone know if the gite in Espelette will be open in the beginning of october? I intend to walk the camino Baztan and will start thursday 4th october 2018.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The generally trustful Gronze says that is it open all year round (which is typical of municipal albergues). But the phone it mentions is not the same of the city hall webpage
Note that reservation is "fortement conseillée". Usually in municipal gîtes there is not a resident hospitalero, but a person that comes to receive and give you the keycode.
Good Baztan camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last edited:
Does anyone know if the gite in Espelette will be open in the beginning of october? I intend to walk the camino Baztan and will start thursday 4th october 2018.
No problem private albergue will be open

I got a message from the townhall that the gite in Espelette is still closed. They advised to contact mr.Le Sauce who rents rooms for pilgrims tel. 06.71.05.20.04

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@yvonne75 Yes I think at the back of my mind I felt that I had never heard it had opened again - which means it has been closed for two years!!
I stayed at the hotel, because I had no success contacting the other numbers I was given, but that was only on the day I was arriving. You should have time to make advance contact.
Buen camino. It is a lovely route.

Thanks for the info we will be heading that way end of next week.

As @biarritzdon says, the hotel is lovely, a really hospitable family place, and very comfortable but slightly expensive, although they do give a pilgrim rate.
Yes - we (the 'Baztan 5') had a wonderful experience there. It is definitely worth the price, especially if you drag in as we did soaked to the skin after all day in the rain....
May you have much better weather and Bon Chemin, Fleur!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes - we (the 'Baztan 5') had a wonderful experience there. It is definitely worth the price, especially if you drag in as we did soaked to the skin after all day in the rain....
And VN, don’t forget the added benefit that we were able to put all of our soaked shoes and clothing in the boiler room where it all dried quickly. ;)

And VN, don’t forget the added benefit that we were able to put all of our soaked shoes and clothing in the boiler room where it all dried quickly. ;)

Ah, thanks for those very happy memories!

@Yvonne - someone posted recently that they stayed with M. le Sauce, so hopefully that works out for you if needed. Wishing you a Buen Camino del Baztán.

No problem private albergue will be open

WE the Baztan 4 stayed last week with Andy la Sauce in rooms above his art gallery. Charming man, comfortable rooms. Breakfast was included but wasn't anything much to write home about. I would recommend it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks. These little bits of information always so helpful!
I hope you enjoyed Espelette - a funny little place. I felt obliged to buy a souvenir when I was there but didn't want liqueur or pyjamas or a larger than life size pottery pepper. So I bought a little jar of dried peppers for cooking. I put it in side pocket of my rucksack - and found it again three Caminos later!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back