• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gites

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I have walked to Santiago through Spain more then once and am now attempting to broaden my horizons. Le Puy seems to be a good place to start despite having no French whatsoever to help get me along to SJPD. I think I have found a way to understand the different manifestations of those gites as found along the Camino and practical things like calling ahead to reserve a bed have all been comprehended however, some nagging questions remain such as are there set opening times and or curfews as in Spain? May one remain several nights in the same gite? Are pilgrims expected to be up and out the front door at 0730 in the morning? Does each gite set its own schedule? Please help. Learning some French must be my next challenge.

Scruffy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
scruffy1 said:
...are there set opening times and or curfews as in Spain?
While there are not set times, the French lunch hour is almost universally observed from 1200-1400, and many gites and Chambres d'Hotes will not open until 1500.

scruffy1 said:
May one remain several nights in the same gite?
Yes, if there is space available. Be sure to mention this requirement when making your reservation.

scruffy1 said:
Are pilgrims expected to be up and out the front door at 0730 in the morning?
No; in fact you might find it hard to get your breakfast done by that time. But you will be underfoot if not out by 0900 or so, unless you are staying another night.

scruffy1 said:
Does each gite set its own schedule?
Yes, the French are quite independent.

scruffy1 said:
Learning some French must be my next challenge.
My first trip in France, I knew hardly any French at all, having taken German in college. I could barely manage "Bonjour", "Je voudrais ...", and "L'addition, sil vous plait". I persuaded bilingual walkers to make my reservation calls for me. And that worked fine. By the next year, I had learned more French, could say where I was from and describe my day's walk a bit. That really helped in evening conversations. The French are very sociable and would really like to have a conversation. I've had great success with http://www.LiveMocha.com and the iPhone app from http://www.MichelThomas.com.

Your answer just in time, off for a vacation, thanks for all the information.
Scruffy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.