• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Giving directions

Felipe

Veteran Member
A question....what do you do when somebody asks you for the right direction in the Camino? That happens sometimes to me...I guess that people suppose that wisdom comes with age, although as you know, this is not necessarily true. :p
I always study thoroughly maps and guides, even browse Google Maps, and I am familiar with Camino signposting in Spain and France (they are not the same, and the first time this is not so obvious). And I usually try to be helpful and give indications when I can, but I am sometimes worried. If I choose a wrong path, this is just me...but to take responsibility for others choices is somewhat unnerving.
My last time I adopted a kind of "caveat", as in "Well, I think this is the right way, but this is just my opinion. It is up to you to follow me or not". The result was not the best: the couple of Dutch pilgrims that had asked me for directions gave me a very odd look (or maybe it was because I was trying to say this in French, and I am not very good with tricky subjunctive verbs).:rolleyes:
The easier solution, obviously, would be to say: “I don’t know, ask somebody else”, but this does not seem as the proper friendly Camino answer, especially when fellow walkers can see that I am walking in a (apparently) confident way, and actually there is nobody else in sight.
What do you do in these cases?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I learned how to say 'I'm not sure, maybe' in Spanish. That plus English and a shrug/head tilt accompanying the finger point usually got across that following me might end in one spectacular story. It's good that you're so prepared, maybe other can sense it. Or they figure if you all get lost you're at least a nice person with whom to wander

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A question....what do you do when somebody asks you for the right direction in the Camino? That happens sometimes to me...I guess that people suppose that wisdom comes with age, although as you know, this is not necessarily true. :p
I always study thoroughly maps and guides, even browse Google Maps, and I am familiar with Camino signposting in Spain and France (they are not the same, and the first time this is not so obvious). And I usually try to be helpful and give indications when I can, but I am sometimes worried. If I choose a wrong path, this is just me...but to take responsibility for others choices is somewhat unnerving.
My last time I adopted a kind of "caveat", as in "Well, I think this is the right way, but this is just my opinion. It is up to you to follow me or not". The result was not the best: the couple of Dutch pilgrims that had asked me for directions gave me a very odd look (or maybe it was because I was trying to say this in French, and I am not very good with tricky subjunctive verbs).:rolleyes:
The easier solution, obviously, would be to say: “I don’t know, ask somebody else”, but this does not seem as the proper friendly Camino answer, especially when fellow walkers can see that I am walking in a (apparently) confident way, and actually there is nobody else in sight.
Hi Felipe, better say sorry I don’t know.
Wish you well, Peter.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I had a wonderful experience last year. I am an early riser so I set out before dawn and was endeavoring to find "the arrows". After wandering around for many minutes, around the squre, side alleys, I eventually ended up at the hostel I had stayed at and I asked an emerging couple if they knew which way to go. They pointed to the arrow right in front of me! I burst out laughing and said"Isn't that how life is...you look everywhere for answers and if you look right in front of you, you will find what you need. Needless to say we became good friends.

I had such a wonderful experience trying to find my way out of two

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.