• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Giving in and doing

Maple Leaf Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
My flight is booked. I'm testing my newer gear and still finding ways to keep trimming down the weight of my pack to under 10kg. Focusing on simplicity. I'm doubling my daily walking regime. Bought the excellent Wise Camino Guide for my iPad mini. I've also told friends and associates of my plans so that I can't back out.

All I have to now--for the next eight weeks before I land in Spain--is to resist all my lingering doubts and fears about what I've gotten myself into.

There are the usual worries for a man my age: What if I get hurt? What if I'm lonely? But then there is the catastrophized thinking: What if someone steals my bank card? What if the ATMs for some reason won't work? What if there's never room at albergues and I'm left sleeping on the street? What if something happens back home and I have to end my walk early?

What if I fail?

The what ifs are endless.
I silence them only with my resolve.

There's a YouTube series from a few years ago by a married couple who did the CF in winter with their infant.

So I remind myself of that every time I get worried: "hey someone with a baby did this. You can too."

So I'm giving in and doing this.

Feet on the ground July 11.

Wish me luck.
And all advice is welcome.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Maple Leaf Walker,

How excited you must be as you prepare for your camino! Do relax , travel light and enjoy the journey.

Remember
"Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence
and nothing too much...."

----Ralph Waldo Emerson,
----Country Life, 1858.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@SabineP and @mspath Excellent advice. Many thanks. And I love that Emerson quote.

I'm reminded of what Thoreau said: “The walking of which I speak has nothing in it akin to taking exercise, as it is called, as the sick take medicine at stated hours …but it is itself the enterprise and adventure of the day.”

Here's to the enterprise and adventure of living.

My flight is booked. I'm testing my newer gear and still finding ways to keep trimming down the weight of my pack to under 10kg. Focusing on simplicity. I'm doubling my daily walking regime. Bought the excellent Wise Camino Guide for my iPad mini. I've also told friends and associates of my plans so that I can't back out.

All I have to now--for the next eight weeks before I land in Spain--is to resist all my lingering doubts and fears about what I've gotten myself into.

There are the usual worries for a man my age: What if I get hurt? What if I'm lonely? But then there is the catastrophized thinking: What if someone steals my bank card? What if the ATMs for some reason won't work? What if there's never room at albergues and I'm left sleeping on the street? What if something happens back home and I have to end my walk early?

What if I fail?

There's a YouTube series from a few years ago by a married couple who did the CF in winter with their infant.

So I remind myself of that every time I get worried: "hey someone with a baby did this. You can too."

Wish me luck.
I was pickpocketed in Madrid and started my Camino with no credit or debit cards, and still had a wonderful Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Success is a state of mind, not a fix point. You will succeed, not matter how your Camino evolves, if you allow yourself.

Buen Camino!

Regarding your comment "what if I fail" its not an exam or test, its a journey and an experience to be savoured whatever the outcome. Btw You have already started... Just let it happen and it will somehow sort itself out....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rest assured: I'm baby-free on this Camino. But it's a good reminder to me that others have persevered under much, much, much tougher circumstances! ツ

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@trecile Wow that's a rough way to start. Good to know that no matter what, we manage.
I also only had 20 euro in cash, and that's because someone in the walking tour I was with when I was pickpocketed gave it to me. Fortunately, my husband was able to send me money via Western Union that day, and I was able to get my credit and debit cards sent from the banks, though I didn't have them for the first week or so.

Dear Maple Leaf
First of all: you will not fail. There's no bar to be reached or grade to achieve. It is YOUR camino, walk as much as you feel like, untill you feel like. Try to stay baby-free if that's your coice, lol!

About the random things, the camino is quite unpredictable. My husband is the fit military guy that does pack marches with ton on his back. I'm just the normal small 35yo girl. On the camino, he was the one who broke down and has a sunstroke... Guess who was the one walking to the next city carrying 2 backpacks, than coming back and walking into town AGAIN carrying a big dude?

You will find strenghts you didn't know you have, and you will also understand your weaknesses much better. Listen to them all an do it on your pace. And only worry about things if they happen to you. If not, enjoy the opportunity of being in one of the most beautiful places in the planet.

Bon camino! :)

What if I fail?

Wish me luck.
Be hopeful my friend take each day and enjoy it and then one day you see and say wow I made it. I also have doubts but am hopeful a lot of people on the Camino to encourage you and help you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Maple Leaf
First of all: you will not fail. There's no bar to be reached or grade to achieve. It is YOUR camino, walk as much as you feel like, untill you feel like. Try to stay baby-free if that's your coice, lol!

About the random things, the camino is quite unpredictable. My husband is the fit military guy that does pack marches with ton on his back. I'm just the normal small 35yo girl. On the camino, he was the one who broke down and has a sunstroke... Guess who was the one walking to the next city carrying 2 backpacks, than coming back and walking into town AGAIN carrying a big dude?

You will find strenghts you didn't know you have, and you will also understand your weaknesses much better. Listen to them all an do it on your pace. And only worry about things if they happen to you. If not, enjoy the opportunity of being in one of the most beautiful places in the planet.

Bon camino! :)

There are many bars to be 'breached',trust me i breached them like The Alamo :)))

You will be amazed at what you can, endure and overcome. Most of it being the mental part of knowing that when you wake up each morning you must put on your pack and trek and trek and trek ....lol
YOU CAN DO THIS !!!! BUEN CAMINO !!!! :)

You definitely won't fail, you are not being marked on how you go. I am about to take a taxi up O'Cebrerio due to nasty blisters. I choose to do this so I can continue on (fingers crossed) for the rest of the walk, I am not failing, coming up short or cheating as far as I am concerned. I have achieved and had/ have more belief in myself now than what I have had in a long time. Enjoy x

Last edited:

€83,-
You may be pushed to your limit, and you may be pushed beyond your limits.
Unless you die out there, you will find yourself a few months later thinking about what you might've learned from all that madness and suffering.
I was raised to be a nice girl, a cooperative, supportive background worker. If something went wrong or someone was not happy, I was to immediately review my own behavior and attitude to ensure it was not MY fault, and to apologize anyway, even if it wasn't. (and I'm not even Canadian!)
The Camino taught me boundaries. Out there on the trail, and while serving as a hospitalera, I learned to say "Stop that, right now!"
I learned to trust my judgement and integrity enough to say "What you are doing/saying/being is Wrong, and this is why."
I learned to stop deciding if the needy person was worthy before I stepped in to help.
And I learned to say "I can't do this on my own. Can you please help me?"
and "I've had enough. I can't do this any more. Maybe that means I am a failure, but I've gotta listen to my body/heart/spirit."

The Camino is the finest teacher I've ever had. Every single day I learn something new. Get ready. Some of the lessons are pure hell.

What if I fail?
I think that "what if's?" are only natural. I know I've had many and I'm sure most pilgrims heading out are the same. You're going on a massive unknown adventure Maple Leaf - part of that unknown is excitement but part will be fear/worry. From what I've read, doubt creeps in whilst on the journey also....but is quickly replaced with wonder and friendships.
One of my main goals when I go in 9 weeks is to just relax and let things happen as they are meant to. Accepting that I cant control everything in life. The Camino is the perfect place to learn such a lesson!

What if I fail?

Wish me luck.

The first step the most important. Millon or 2 steps later you are there..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Regarding this Youtube video of a young man who did a winter crossing with wife and baby, he also had crap shoes as he was a vegan and wouldn't wear leather. The shoes he ordered hadn't turned up on time. He was carrying a huge weight because he was carrying his own stuff, his wife's stuff and the babies stuff. I watched the video and thought "he'll never make it" but he did.
Walking over the Napoleon route last year I was walking with a chap from Dublin and I mentioned this couple. He told me that he knew the young man in question and knew he'd make it. He was a paratrooper!

Back