• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Glass in my foot - advice please

Walrusonthecamino

Time of past OR future Camino
CP (2018)
Planning to walk my first Camino in less than 10 days, and a couple of days ago managed to step on a microscopic splinter of glasss, now lodged in the sole of my foot. Tried to squeeze it out, which has simply made the foot sore, also soaked it in white vinegar; tonight I have applied a paste of bicarbonate of soda in the hope of drawing it out. An A&E nurse friend says to leave it to work its own way out, but my gut instinct is to get it out ASAP. Either way, my foot hurts and I am really afraid for my Camino. Any advice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm also confused why you wouldn't go to someone and get it taken out.

But if there's some reason, or there is residual discomfort, get some of those little sticky corn pads and create a donut around it to minimize direct pressure??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Planning to walk my first Camino in less than 10 days, and a couple of days ago managed to step on a microscopic splinter of glasss, now lodged in the sole of my foot. Tried to squeeze it out, which has simply made the foot sore, also soaked it in white vinegar; tonight I have applied a paste of bicarbonate of soda in the hope of drawing it out. An A&E nurse friend says to leave it to work its own way out, but my gut instinct is to get it out ASAP. Either way, my foot hurts and I am really afraid for my Camino. Any advice.

Until this is resolved, you can use a 'doughnut' made of molefoam, or even a bunion pad, to surround the affected area. This will help to keep the sensitive part of the foot elevated above the ground, or insole, as you walk. It may help help make things bearable for you.

When adhering the pad, be sure to clean the area with alcohol (hand sanitizer works) to remove dirt and sweat and oils which will interfere with the adhesive. Also, you can apply a thin smear of Tincture of Benzoin to the skin where the adhesive will be applied, then let it dry. This will multiply the holding power of the adhesive. You can also cover the donut with omnifix tape or leukotape P.

I do hope you are able to get that glass splinter out soon.

I've had good results with Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate), made into a thick paste with a little water. Hold in place with a loosely applied plaster. It draws out thorns and wood splinters that are too deep or too small to reach with tweezers. I'd imagine this would work with a speck of glass as well.
It's easier to make up the paste with a finely ground medical grade, though if you can only get hold of the chunkier bath salts they will do ok.
Hope you manage to remove it soon.

Last edited:
Good Morning! The good news is that you obviously don't have neuropathy! I have pulled twigs, stones, small bits of metal, rocks, rubber, small toy chips, pins and glass out of the soles of feet. Unfortunately, the "owners" of these items had no idea due to his or her neuropathy. Your goals are to reduce the risk of infection and protect this area. An x-ray won't help because it won't pick up the glass, but are you sure that it is a glass splinter? There will also be a hesitancy of the doctor to start probing and cutting because that can make a wound bigger, and maybe the splinter is already out?? Could the pain that you have be the result of inflammation and trauma?

Use what Davebugg suggested for a protective dressing.

To reduce your risk of infection, apply an antimicrobial dressing. I don't know where you are, but the easiest thing would probably be an antibiotic cream for a couple of weeks, (for this acute wound). If your wound ends up as chronic (which I'm sure it won't), switch to iodine or PM me and I can give you other choices and suggestions. Once your wound is closed and you are walking, continue to protect this area with a simple bandage because your wound will still be healing. A lot of remodelling goes on in each skin layer and under the skin and walking is friction and shear on your feet, so trauma can still occur. Oh, and if you're still having some problems with your foot before you leave, you might want to get a prescription for antibiotics filled before your walk "just in case". Insurance may not cover a pre-existing condition. On that cheerful note Buen Camino! It will all be well!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

here's a suggestion - it really works!!!

it uses an oral syringe for dispensing children's medicine

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...s/mums-trick-remove-splinters-calpol-13788100

If pulling it out was unsuccessful, then seriously, let it be. The skin will reject it. 10 days is plenty of time, don't worry and don't aggravate the wound. If the wound is now open, steralise it. Keep your weight off it. It means you won't be able to train in the meantime but you'll be fighting fit to start your camino in 10 days

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Actually it’s not a simple case of ‘get someone to take it out’ due to size/transparency and the fact that skin grows over a tiny wound. ‘See your doctor’ makes all kinds of assumptions, with no knowledge of an individual’s circumstances (geographic location, healthcare system, logistics, finance and medical history). For the record, I did finally manage to see my GP, who advises Epsom salt bathing and a magnesium sulphate dressing overnight, with review tomorrow.
To those who did take time to make helpful and kind responses to my very first post on this forum, my thanks.

If your GP can not resolve the problem maybe a surgeon who can use ultrasound to pinpoint location of the glass splinter can remove it. I hope you get it resolved soon!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife had a small glass splinter in the foot... long story - short.... we could not remove it ( and you could not just go for the pain because -as we later saw - the splinter was curved and ached at a different point as where the wound with the top end of the splinter was). After several days the little wound got pus-filled. Now one could see the pus. And after weakening the skin with a needle the glass splinter and the pus came out.
So maybe - if the doctor does not find it now - just wait and use the donut and the other while-waiting tips ( but of course waiting is not easy 10 days before a camino).

Update: As I was getting nowhere with the GP’s surgery, I eventually paid a podiatrist to remove it, as I was lucky enough to get a cancellation slot. Feel a lot better for it, and am hoping it is all out now. Her own mother has just completed a Camino at the age of 74, so I was in good hands. Training has gone to pot, but at least I am mobile again. Thanks for the help and support on here. Bom Caminho, everyone!

Good Morning! The good news is that you obviously don't have neuropathy! I have pulled twigs, stones, small bits of metal, rocks, rubber, small toy chips, pins and glass out of the soles of feet. Unfortunately, the "owners" of these items had no idea due to his or her neuropathy. Your goals are to reduce the risk of infection and protect this area. An x-ray won't help because it won't pick up the glass, but are you sure that it is a glass splinter? There will also be a hesitancy of the doctor to start probing and cutting because that can make a wound bigger, and maybe the splinter is already out?? Could the pain that you have be the result of inflammation and trauma?

Use what Davebugg suggested for a protective dressing.

To reduce your risk of infection, apply an antimicrobial dressing. I don't know where you are, but the easiest thing would probably be an antibiotic cream for a couple of weeks, (for this acute wound). If your wound ends up as chronic (which I'm sure it won't), switch to iodine or PM me and I can give you other choices and suggestions. Once your wound is closed and you are walking, continue to protect this area with a simple bandage because your wound will still be healing. A lot of remodelling goes on in each skin layer and under the skin and walking is friction and shear on your feet, so trauma can still occur. Oh, and if you're still having some problems with your foot before you leave, you might want to get a prescription for antibiotics filled before your walk "just in case". Insurance may not cover a pre-existing condition. On that cheerful note Buen Camino! It will all be well!
Awesome advice, very thorough explanation. I was thinking the same thing regarding the pain being from the inflamation and trauma of trying to remove it. Curious if you recommend hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound and help ward off infection? In regards to the insurance. Some will cover pre existing illness if you pay for the insurance within the required time frame after booking your airline tickets ...usually within 10 -14 days . I always as a rule read the exclusions first before reading the policy inclusions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Awesome advice, very thorough explanation. I was thinking the same thing regarding the pain being from the inflamation and trauma of trying to remove it. Curious if you recommend hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound and help ward off infection? In regards to the insurance. Some will cover pre existing illness if you pay for the insurance within the required time frame after booking your airline tickets ...usually within 10 -14 days . I always as a rule read the exclusions first before reading the policy inclusions.
Hello Iriebabel, Thank you and you have an excellent question about the hydrogen peroxide. This product works well for a dirty wound that you are trying to clean. The short version is that in wounds, the foaming action of hydrogen peroxide is caused by a chemical reaction to enzymes (protein molecules, of which our cells are made of and/or the "heme" in the hemoglobin, which carries oxygen. This bubbling action will help to clean out a wound, but you definitely want to rinse out that hydrogen peroxide because it is toxic to healthy cells. I would suggest only using hydrogen peroxide as an initial cleaner and then rinse or wash that wound well to remove the product and the debris. To ward off infection can get complicated, but if I was on a Camino, I would wash that wound with potable water and use an antimicrobial, like iodine or an antibiotic cream. Both are easy to purchase. I hope that this helps!

Hello Iriebabel, Thank you and you have an excellent question about the hydrogen peroxide. This product works well for a dirty wound that you are trying to clean. The short version is that in wounds, the foaming action of hydrogen peroxide is caused by a chemical reaction to enzymes (protein molecules, of which our cells are made of and/or the "heme" in the hemoglobin, which carries oxygen. This bubbling action will help to clean out a wound, but you definitely want to rinse out that hydrogen peroxide because it is toxic to healthy cells. I would suggest only using hydrogen peroxide as an initial cleaner and then rinse or wash that wound well to remove the product and the debris. To ward off infection can get complicated, but if I was on a Camino, I would wash that wound with potable water and use an antimicrobial, like iodine or an antibiotic cream. Both are easy to purchase. I hope that this helps!
Thanks for the info, again nicly explained. My mom swears by this...i guess its old school. I agree with a water rinse. I carried an antibiotic cream on my last camino fortunately I didnt need to use it

Scanning through the thread, I see a lot of good, sensible advice. I live in Texas--not the eastern part. The prickly-pear part. These plants have both big spines and tiny, near-invisible ones called glochids. Getting the glochids out after an incident is similar to your problem, I think. Have you tri3d cleaning the injury with hydrogen peroxide? It makes bubbles and can float out little bits from a wound. You may need to go over it more than once.

HTH

And things "working their way" have been known to go in rather than out. :(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Was already in the surgery and they couldn’t see anything obvious to remove, as it is really microscopic

Just to say I did exactly the same thing a few years ago just before my Camino and also went to a doctor who dug around and couldnt find it. I finally manages to dig it out myself, following the pain with a cuticle clipper
Good luck!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.