• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

globetrotter solar chargers for phones and cameras?

prilia

Hi,
I know that bringing phones and even cameras on the camino is generally considered intrusive but I have to be realistic and as I have an elderly mother and two kids at home I would like them to be able to contact me should the need arise.

I am therefore wondering about charging batteries at the albergues? I imagine I will not be the only one so therefore there could be long queues and I may not even get near a socket.

I have heard about a Globetrotter Solar Pack, an advanced portable charging system that can power any hand held device anywhere, anytime. Apparently it can charge a battery in as little as 4 hours in sunshine. It weighs only 200gms which I could cope with!

Does anyone have any experience of this and if so, is it worth bringing with me or am I worrying unduly and I will be able to charge my batteries quite easily?

I, no more than anyone, want the outside world to intrude on my camino but I would be happier knowing that my family can contact me if they needed to and so I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Many thanks,

Prilia

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Prilia, Don't bring too much heavy gear....you'll have to carry it every single day. Imagine carring such gear when you could leave your bag free for provisions .........or a free hand to help someone else along the way. If the worst comes to the worst for charging battereies.....have a cafe con leche / coffee / beer /vino tinto & ask can you do it......or spend quality time with some of the Spanish people you encounter & speak to them about your life.

Buen camino

Brian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Prilia, where are you based? .......& by the way it's Sláinte...ctrl alt etc

Buen Camino

Brian

PS. Sil ,J.Walker & Javier will give you best advice.

I have some experience with the portable solar charging systems. I bring along a Solio Hybrid 1000 for charging my blackberry on extended backpacking trips. The performance of these devices depends on many factors. Many of these devices require direct full sunlight to fully charge and may have charging issues when the weather is overcast. I have not seen a system yet that is water resistant enough to leave out exposed to rain or snow. Take into account what time of year you are waking (weather)and the amount of battery usage on your devices needing a charge. My Solio has been a hit or miss when it came to charging it's internal battery to full capacity. Unfortunately, I am leaving my solar charger at home for my Camino in April. I would look to see if your plug in charger would work better over a solar panel.

Mike

I don't know about solar, but I managed to charge my camera batteries just fine along the way by plugging in the charger. The only thing is you have to be SMART about it and keep an eye on your charger so it doesn't walk away.

Get a European cell phone charger for your model and charge in cafes and refugios along the way. As for camera batteries, I chose to just carry an extra pair with me...two batteries carried me 30 days and a few hundred pictures. Buen Camino!

Prilia hi

I am having the same dilema - have you started your camino yet ? If so did you take a solar panel and was it effective - which one did you take ? if not was it easy to charge things along the way.

I hope your camino brings /brought you everything you wished from it

Janey

Hi, I have a super excellent power-monkey. I've jused it two years running, it works like a battery cell - charges up when you find power and you can plug it into your devices whenever. It comes with lots of adapters for phones, it also did my ipod and some cameras. It powers itself from power plug points, usb ports and it also has a solar panel that you can buy for it!!
I managed fine charging both the powermonkey and my camera battery charger (sorry i like my technology...) on the camino frances last year. Yes sometimes it is hard to get a plug but then you probably won't want one everyday. I usually tried to get to a socket every 3 days or so and if not then the solar power thingy worked ok. You don't get a lot of solar power (esp if its raining) but i could usually get enough to recharge my phone for a bit.
Stay in the newish looking albergue with the huts in Atapuerca (just before burgos) they have a plug socket for every single bed!!! what a luxury! :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back