• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gloves Tip

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
If you get chilly fingers consider getting a pair of lightweight woolen gloves.
But what if they get wet?
Get yourself a set of those large size lightweight hospital gloves to pull over the top.
They are light as a feather and take up hardly any room.
Regds
Gerard

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you get chilly fingers consider getting a pair of lightweight woolen gloves.
But what if they get wet?
Get yourself a set of those large size lightweight hospital gloves to pull over the top.
They are light as a feather and take up hardly any room.
Regds
Gerard

LOL. Would probably look a little funky but still a good idea!:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
...now's my one and only chance to seem a little Ray Mears like:- If you find yourself walking in very windy freezing/snowy conditions with soggy woolen gloves and cold hands plunge your gloved hands into a pile of snow for approx 3 minutes or so until the outside of the gloves has a frozen coating. This icy layer seems to serve as an insulation and reduces the effects of evaporation and windchill so soon your hands will be, if not toasty warm, at least warmer. You may have to repeat the process a few times. I've made use of this tip a few times and it was a life saver for me on one occasion-though nowadays I carry wind and waterproof gloves as I use poles so my hands bear the brunt of the weather.
P.S. don't try this trick in thawing conditions and/or 'wet snow' for obvious reasons;)

Last edited:
...now's my one and only chance to seem a little Ray Mears like:- If you find yourself walking in very windy freezing/snowy conditions with soggy woolen gloves and cold hands plunge your gloved hands into a pile of snow for approx 3 minutes or so until the outside of the gloves has a frozen coating. This icy layer seems to serve as an insulation and reduces the effects of evaporation and windchill so soon your hands will be, if not toasty warm, at least warmer. You may have to repeat the process a few times. I've personal experience of this tip a few times and it was a life saver for me on one occasion-though nowadays I carry wind and waterproof gloves as I use poles so my hands bear the brunt of the weather.
P.S. don't try this trick in thawing conditions and/or 'wet snow' for obvious reasons;)
Ha! Alright, McGyver. Hope I never have the chance to try out this trick. :p

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Something I love almost as dearly as my electric coil is my extremely lightweight pair of lambswool gloves. I would never walk without them. I find that if my hands are warm, the rest of my body is warm. Bajaracer is absolutely right, even after walking for 7 hours in a chilling Galician rain, the soaking wet gloves still keep my hands warm.

I always walk in May/June, yet there are always early mornings where it is cold, and sometimes I leave my gloves on till late morning.

Accept no substitutes for real wool.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since my bypass surgery my hands seem to get cold very easily so I use gloves when walking, recently I bought merino gloves and I think they are great, light but still warm even when wet. God bless you Google and Amazon. :)

I've got a pair of Rab windproof fleece gloves. Not waterproof but they do resist rain for a while, stay warm when damp and dry really quick. Very thin and light too.

I've got a pair of Rab windproof fleece gloves. Not waterproof but they do resist rain for a while, stay warm when damp and dry really quick. Very thin and light too.

I love the idea of lightweight merino gloves, and might try them, but we have happily used cavers gloves for two caminos now and they work well - they fit snugly and you can use your fingers, but they are also waterproof.
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As crazy as it may sound, socks work great in cold weather. I used them for years to keep my hands warm during winter runs when gloves and mittens were insufficient (my thumb used to get cold in mittens).
But I have a question for glove wears who use walking poles: how is the grip? don't your fingers slip when walking with poles?

I used gloves for most of my Camino last year as it was cold most days and I didn't find any problems with grip. I used Berghaus liner gloves which were great for the cold but not so good when wet, I have since changed to merino wool gloves.

I walked in May 2013 and only had a few chilly mornings. I hadn't invested in any high tech or wool gloves. I did have a pair of the stretchy gloves (sometimes called magic gloves) that usually cost $1. They worked well to cut the chill but the day it was raining my hands were miserable (wet and cold). I use walking sticks so my hands were exposed all day.

I copied from another pilgrim this solution.

I used plastic grocery store bags over my $1 stretchy gloves and it worked well for the next cold/rainy day (going over O Cebreiero).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.