• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gluten and Wheat free bread

sabrinaray

Time of past OR future Camino
June 29th 2013
My daughter and I are about to embark (30 June) on our first walk along the Camino trail. Only doing the last 130km unfortunately as we are time poor and coming over from Australia with only 2 weeks holiday. But we are soooo excited!! My daughter is a Ceoliac and I was wondering if there is any bread she can eat along the way as I believe it will be a large part of food intake???? There must have been many other people on the trail with the same intolerance. We are travelling from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Good luck on that one! As you walk through tranquil green quiet beautiful Galicia the pastoralatmosphere is broken only by the occaisional but incessant horn blowing of small delivery vans. One is the daily arrival of the traveling fish monger and do stop by there is everything from octopus to fresh hake in the back of those vans. The other is bread van which usally comes around twice a day chock full of baguettes, batards, whole wheat and white breads all chiock full of gluten. I have never checked but I seem to remember seeing gluten free in the supermarkets of larger towns so consider stiocking up in Sarria, Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Melide, Aruza, Arca, and Santiago. Do be careful with the pilgrims menu-vegatable soup (usually meat based) may be thickened with bread, meatballs of course, fried fish, and know that many servers will have no idea what is in the food or even what a Ceoliac might be.
S

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great thanks for your advice I thought as much. I realise due to the lack of english and understanding this maybe a hard one. We will just have to bring over plenty of supplies and buy the bread at a couple of the big supermarkets like you suggested. :D Thankyou

I have the same problem. Last time I brought a couple of packets of gluten/wheatfree crispbread in plastic boxes ( hard plastic). That helped me through breakfast and lunch. For dinner I ate meat ("steak") and vegetables. Lots of fruit, raisins, dark chocolate and nuts throughout the day.

A Celiac friend of mine has traveled to Japan and South Korea using cards such as these and had great luck in communicating the dietary restriction.

www.celiactravel.com/cards/spanish/

She also went to New Zealand a couple of years ago and marveled at how easy it was to find gluten free foods in so many restaurants there.

I would think Tortilla Española (eggs, potato, onion, olive oil) would be GF, but the card should help to clarify.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My daughter and I are about to embark (30 June) on our first walk along the Camino trail. Only doing the last 130km unfortunately as we are time poor and coming over from Australia with only 2 weeks holiday. But we are soooo excited!! My daughter is a Ceoliac and I was wondering if there is any bread she can eat along the way as I believe it will be a large part of food intake???? There must have been many other people on the trail with the same intolerance. We are travelling from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela.
Unfortunately over much of the Camino Frances we were able to find only white bread. My wife has a gluten intolerance. She found though that the Spanish bread did not seem to bother her. I'm guessing that they do not use GMO wheat.

Im gluten intolerant and I brought gluten free hard bread with me to eat when I couldn't find anything else. In bigger stores I found some horrible gluten free bread (Bimbo brand). So dry, tasteless and non-eatable but I'm used to quite darker and more fibers. But I had a lot of tortillas instead.

I brought a card with info about my intolerances (I'm lactose intolerant and allergic to mushrooms as well) and some places told me they has wheat in the tortilla so then I had to buy fried eggs or something. I managed to walk 1120 km without eating gluten so it is possible.

But it takes some planning to not being able to grab a sandwich for breakfast and lunch.

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.