• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gluten free food on the camino

Darren

Time of past OR future Camino
2014-2015
Have read a few books on the camino and a lot of the meals prepared start with a soup, and I take it from produce available in the area, does anyone know if they(meal prepares) cook with a lot of gluten produce ie pasta ,wheat, soy some thickening agents or do they kept it simple and natural. Would also like to open this tread up to what other gluten free meals are available on the camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have read a few books on the camino and a lot of the meals prepared start with a soup, and I take it from produce available in the area, does anyone know if they(meal prepares) cook with a lot of gluten produce ie pasta ,wheat, soy some thickening agents or do they kept it simple and natural. Would also like to open this tread up to what other gluten free meals are available on the camino

You will able to find gluten-free stuff in special food shops but it´s expensive. People along the Camino both at home and restaurants just cook with the everyday stuff which contains gluten.

Buen Camino!

..., does anyone know if they(meal prepares) cook with a lot of gluten produce ie pasta ,wheat, soy some thickening agents or do they kept it simple and natural. ...

If you have a gluten allergy you will be best of cooking for yourself/ with your Camino friends. If you want to eat out, you should prepare a card in Spanish that explains your allergy and states that you become very ill when you eat certain products. Buen Camino!, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just finished he Camino gluten free, and there is a lot of awareness about gluten. I found gluten free cookies in the super mercados periodically (especially in big towns, although in some of the smaller towns, too!), and I could almost always eat two of the three courses for the pilgrims meals. Gluten is the same in Spanish, so my standard question was: " soy alergica con gluten. Como soy comer?" I realize that this just butchered a very beautiful language, but it got my point across. I only had trouble once, when I ordered an omelette "sin pan" without explaining my allergies. I got my omelette with some slices of bread sitting on top of it. So, I paid for another pilgrim's breakfast that morning...I also learned some dishes that are pretty much always gluten free and ordered those a lot...I only started to cook for myself because I was sick of eating out.ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1381815372.924245.jpg Beyond that, I had some wonderful food!ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1381815191.736274.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1381815219.200458.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1381815242.273064.jpg.ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1381815138.903066.jpg

I've been researching this because my mum has Coeliac's disease, so gluten is completely out. From what I've read there is a fairly good awareness of it, and we have our cards prepared to explain it without butchering the meaning with our very bad pronunciation. We are prepared to make many of our own meals though just in case.

thanks has put me a little at ease, and I'm not the one with Celiac its my wife to be when she has a reaction with gluten its of to hospital with a heart rate of over 200 bpm so I worried about treatment if something does go wrong

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Darren, every year we organise pilgrimage for guest who want gluten free food - its never a problem - we always tell the hotels we use, that one of our guests need gluten free food, and they always do their outmost to make sure there is something to eat without gluten. Let me know if I can assist you.

Once again, may I suggest that you at least TRY the wheat in Spain. It may not be a true gluten allergy, but an allergy to the bromine in the USA. Wheat in the United States makes me extremely ill because they spray it with bromine. . . ALL of it unless it is organic. Wheat in Spain is NOT GMO and it is not sprayed. They use no preservatives because the bread is baked daily and I was able to eat all the wheat I wanted while in spain with no problems at all. It was a miracle.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.