• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Glutenfree on Camino Portuguese (September)

HanaK

Time of past OR future Camino
(09/13)
Hi, I am from Prague, planning to walk for the first time, preferably Portuguese way. I have celiac disease. I am considering to walk about 3 weeks in September this year.
I consider to start at Agueda or Coimbra.
I wonder how easy would be to get GF food and meal on the way, in small villages - shops, pubs, restaurants.
Besides GF diet I have another limitation and I am not able to carry too much load, so I am dependent on buying food on daily basis. Besides, I have tendency to hypoglycaemias. But nevertheless I am very keen to solve the obstacles.
I have read lot of comments in forum regarding GF on French way. Can anyone compare both ways in regards to availability and (maybe also diversity) of GF diet?
Looking forward to any advice.
Hana

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buenos dias, HanaK.
I have just done a quick Google search on Gluten Free diets to see what your requirements might be:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/my01140

Allowed foods
Many healthy and delicious foods are naturally gluten-free:
• Beans, seeds, nuts in their natural, unprocessed form
• Fresh eggs
• Fresh meats, fish and poultry (not breaded, batter-coated or marinated)
• Fruits and vegetables
• Most dairy products

Although I do not have celiacs d. I do tend to prefer a low Gluten diet where possible. Recently I walked from Porto to SdC and beyond. This is what I found:

Beans: jars of cooked lentils and white beans are a staple part of the Spanish diet. I’ve been able to buy them in most village tienda from Porto to SdC. I add onions, a tin of tuna and tomatoes…..

Nuts Expensive but obtainable. Although almonds are produced in Portugal and Spain I have rarely been able to purchase them raw. Most tiendas sell almonds roasted, salted or blanched.. The same goes for peanuts. Walnuts eaten with dried figs are popular along the VdlP and other parts of Spain but are usually sold in the shell.

Fresh: eggs, meats, fish, poultry….possible

Fruits & vegetables: Yes, but rarely spinach or leafy greens. Locals tend to grow greens themselves.

Dairy products: yogourt, cheese, UHT milk in a carton. Butter is not always available.

I rarely eat out at restaurants or take the Peregrinos Menu. I tend to eat raw and carry supplies of nuts, dates and oats in my pack plus queso & tuna for emergencies. Sometimes when my journey lasts between four to six weeks, and if I have spare cash, rather than carry surplus kilos and suffer the frustration of vain searches in out-of-the-way places, I post ahead a two week supply of nuts & oats using the Correos de Listo.

I sincerely hope this is of use.
Cheers,
Lovingkindness

I must confess I am ignorant as to which products have or have not got gluten.

I can say that in most large-ish supermarkets will have explicitly gluten free options like cookies, cakes, corn-flakes, bread, toast. Labels will have "sem gluten" or "s/ gluten" and they will many times be included in a healthy living section of the supermarket.

Raisins and peanuts are generally available in most village shops, the same goes for fruit. So this could be a handy pick-me-up for your blood sugar.

I think it will be rare to find menus in Portugal that specifically geared towards gluten intolerance.

I would get a list of what is safe to eat and whenever in a bit town find a supermarket for some safe treats. Porto, Barcelos and Ponte de Lima are towns in the Camino that will have for sure supermarkets with gluten free options (cannot guarantee there will be a big variety).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I must confess I am ignorant as to which products have or have not got gluten.

I can say that in most large-ish supermarkets will have explicitly gluten free options like cookies, cakes, corn-flakes, bread, toast. Labels will have "sem gluten" or "s/ gluten" and they will many times be included in a healthy living section of the supermarket.

Raisins and peanuts are generally available in most village shops, the same goes for fruit. So this could be a handy pick-me-up for your blood sugar.

I think it will be rare to find menus in Portugal that specifically geared towards gluten intolerance.

I would get a list of what is safe to eat and whenever in a bit town find a supermarket for some safe treats. Porto, Barcelos and Ponte de Lima are towns in the Camino that will have for sure supermarkets with gluten free options (cannot guarantee there will be a big variety).

I have just walked Camino Frances gluten free, sin gluten in Spanish. I carried a packet of gf rice cakes in my pack, as well as a small tin of tuna, olives or capsicum. Often bought cheese or ham at supermercado and it was fine without refrigeration for a night. Goats cheese was my preference. Carried 2-3 pieces of fruit and some nuts also. Cafe bars didn't mind me having my own food as long as I bought a coffee. Restaurants were very helpful generally and I ate well. Costs more however as I was unable to eat the peregrina menu or menu del dia in most cases. Gf bread was almost impossible. Always had chocolate in my pack.
Not sure about Portuguese but I am planning it for 2015.
Hope this helps. Enjoy.
Anne

Hi, Just go to Marcedona and they have lots of Gluten free. I think if you order Rice/Potato dishes then they should be fine. Just remember to say SIN GLUTEN.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back