Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Go on Primitivo or Finish on del Norte?

QuailHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte y Primitivo (2018)
I am approaching Oviedo and a decision on which route to take. I started in Irun and, although the first week was tougher than I expected, I completed the standard stages in decent shape. Since then I’ve probably gained a bit of strength.

I’m concerned about all the elevation change on the Primitivo, but Whitson’s book doesn’t rate the climbs any harder than those in the first week of the Norte. Plus, if I do the Primitivo I should have time to walk to Finisterre and Muxia, which I did not do after the Frances in 2016. Can any folks help with an assessment of the Primitivo compared to the Norte, especially the first week? Thanks!

Fred

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do both! I stayed on the Norte and the following year or so went back to where you leave the Norte to go to Oviedo. Loved both!

I just finished El Norte April 6th. I detoured via Vilavisciosa to the a Primitivo first to Valdedios (stayed at the mountain monastery), then on to Polo de Siero (good municipal albergue & pilgrim friendly family restaurant/cideria across the street, at the exit of town, nice walk to Oviedo if you follow the hospitalero Robert’s variantbroute map), to Oviedo then back to the Norte via Avilés. I decided to leave the Primitivo for its own Camino. Plus the rest of the Norte is still very nice.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We're on the Norte now, at Deba, and did the primitivo last year. So far, they're pretty comparable, and your first week on the norte will have gotten you well prepared. Hospitales stage is strenuous, but not on an order of magnitude harder. You'll sail through!

Hi,
If I may to jump in this topic, I would like to address very similar question. I am landing in Asturias airport before midnight and I will have ~2 weeks for my Camino. I thought to join Camino del Norte from Aviles, because of the sea, nice views. However, I am a little bit afraid that it will be mostly near the highway with lots of cars, which I assume would distract my minds. For this reason, I started thinking whether should I move to Oviedo to do the Primitivo, as it looks like more into the wild? Also, I saw route adjustments, just to avoid asphalt roads, but I dont want to follow any electronics, just the real camino.
Could anyone share experience/suggestions, which way to take?

I had good experiences on both ways. If I pass that way again and have nothing planned, I'd probably flip a coin at Villaviciosa - there's that little between them. If it came up for the Primitivo I'd consider cutting across after Lugo to stay at the monasterio de Sobrado dos Monxes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
If I may to jump in this topic, I would like to address very similar question. I am landing in Asturias airport before midnight and I will have ~2 weeks for my Camino. I thought to join Camino del Norte from Aviles, because of the sea, nice views. However, I am a little bit afraid that it will be mostly near the highway with lots of cars, which I assume would distract my minds. For this reason, I started thinking whether should I move to Oviedo to do the Primitivo, as it looks like more into the wild? Also, I saw route adjustments, just to avoid asphalt roads, but I dont want to follow any electronics, just the real camino.
Could anyone share experience/suggestions, which way to take?

Having only finished El Norte 1 month ago I can say that your impression that it will be mostly road from Avilés onwards is not correct. The coastal paths from Avilés to Ribadeo were beautiful, they are GR hiking paths that are marked, beautiful beaches, inland sea blow holes, jaw-dropping gorgeous sea cliffs. Then you go down direction to Sobrado dos Monxes and stay at the monastery. Just my experience. Buen camino.

Hi Fred,
What did you choose? I'm on the Norte near Llanes and my plan is to go to Primitivo. I might switch to the Norte since lots of people continue here and haven't spoken much people yet that go to the Primitivo. Are there people walking now?
I really enjoyed the first week from Irun and don't like the asphalt last days so think mountains will work for me if I'm fit.
Caroline

I walked the Norte in spring 2016, but turned onto the Primitivo for more variety. I loved them both and felt they each had their own beauty. Doing the combo gets my vote.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just finished El Norte April 6th. I detoured via Vilavisciosa to the a Primitivo first to Valdedios (stayed at the mountain monastery), then on to Polo de Siero (good municipal albergue & pilgrim friendly family restaurant/cideria across the street, at the exit of town, nice walk to Oviedo if you follow the hospitalero Robert’s variantbroute map), to Oviedo then back to the Norte via Avilés. I decided to leave the Primitivo for its own Camino. Plus the rest of the Norte is still very nice.
Hi Colette. How was the weather in March?

Hi all, I continued on the Primitivo this May 20-30th; It was a great choice, because of:
*beautiful route, hills and woods, nice albergues, villages and bars on the road, nice people (young-old, sporty)
*hills climbing and descending, great views. If you've started the Norte in Irun you're trained and it's duable. It's not that high like the Alps or Picos de Europa. I didn't find it steep but I had good weather and good hiking poles.
*less asphalt and big cities/industries than on the Norte. However, I talked to people who continued on the Norte and they liked it as well, though they took a train out of Gijon.
*weather, we were really lucky and had some sunny days around 20 degrees while on the Norte it was colder/cloudier. After the sunny days we had fog in the woods but it was nice too.
* Hospitales is about 25km and 1000m climbing without facilities, it was not a problem.

Last edited:
Hi all, I continued on the Primitivo this May 20-30th; It was a great choice, because of:
*beautiful route, hills and woods, nice albergues, villages and bars on the road, nice people (young-old, sporty)
*hills climbing and descending, great views. If you've started the Norte in Irun you're trained and it's duable. It's not that high like the Alps or Picos de Europa. I didn't find it steep but I had good weather and good hiking poles.
*less asphalt and big cities/industries than on the Norte. However, I talked to people who continued on the Norte and they liked it as well, though they took a train out of Gijon.
*weather, we were really lucky and had some sunny days around 20 degrees while on the Norte it was colder/cloudier. After the sunny days we had fog in the woods but it was nice too.
* Hospitales is about 25km and 1000m climbing without facilities, it was not a problem.

Thank you for this. I’m walking the Norte this summer and was thinking about this. The Primitivo it is!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am planning Norte from Santander and then Primitivo this spring (May/June). Is it safe to go alone through hills/mountains on Primitivo? What if lone peregrino tweaks his/her ankle?

You should still have enough people coming through behind you, even if you have to wait an hour or two. I wouldn't worry. I walked it in mid May 2016 and it's probably even busier now.

No problemo. As said above, you may well not be in a pack, but there were at least 20 of us on about the same daily schedule when I walked.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No problem. Also good connection with cellphone most of the track.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.