• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Go Your Own Way: Following in the footsteps of Martin Sheen on the Way of St James

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
Hello all

Back in the autumn of 2018, in those happy days when we were all still allowed outside, I walked the Camino Francés and wrote a blog about it every day, for five extraordinary and memorable weeks.

I posted links here, which seemed to be quite popular at the time.

Given all the extra time that's suddenly become available, I've now converted that blog into an actual book with lots of photos, published initially as an e-book on Amazon's Kindle site.

41MmSckgUtL.jpg

An edited version will become available as a paperback in the next couple of days.

I've been in touch with the moderators here, as I'd like to donate some of the royalties to support the Camino in some way - I've been told that there will be a platform for this appearing here soon.

Here's a sample for you to take a look at in the meantime.

https://amzn.eu/doLECRx

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it - it's as close as we'll get to walking it for a while!

John

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m curious about your sub-title, ‘Following in the footsteps of Martin Sheen...’

Did you go to all the filming sites? Talk to the people who met him along the way? Were you inspired to walk because of the movie?

I was most definitely inspired to walk by “The Way”, as I set out in the opening chapters.

At that point, I assumed I’d see all of the filming locations along the route - I know better now, of course!

I did meet Dan, who ran a refreshment stall between Zubiri and Pamplona, who was very proud to have served Martin during the filming.

Put it like this - I'd never have considered walking the Camino until I saw that wonderful film, but my own experience was even more eventful.

Attachments

• B9050028-C187-4D01-9E28-15F9618F91BE.jpeg
    B9050028-C187-4D01-9E28-15F9618F91BE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Actually, I'm going to make the book available free of charge for a short period, starting tomorrow morning.

With the permission of the moderators, I'll post a link to that on Friday morning.

Something to say ”thank you” to everyone on here for their guidance and support in the past.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi John
Well.... 2 short days of making a go of it and I totally ate it up!!!
Nice work, Sir! 👍
And THANK YOU for letting us have it 🙏

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you very much John. Really looking forward to reading your book.
We also like The Way very much and had a great experience with Samuel at Sol a Sol Hostel in Hornillos del Camino in 2014.
His sister married Emilio Estevez's son after meeting him during the making of the film.
All the best, regards, Anne & Pat

This is the last day of the free download of the book, so don't leave it too late!

So far, more than 200 of you have taken up that offer.

If you enjoyed reading it, I'd love to hear your thoughts - a review on Amazon would be much appreciated and will help others discover it too.

I have already made three contributions to the albergues on Ivar's list - royalties from the book will help me make more in the future too.

Thanks again!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back