• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Goat & Sheep cheese?

howlsthunder

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2018)
Camino Francés (2020)
Hey all!

I have some food intolerances (gluten, corn, soy - all of which I've read up on in the forums and am not daunted by) -- and cow dairy. Luckily I can eat all the goat and sheep cheeses I want! Problem is, I do not speak any Spanish (and minimal French). Does anyone know about cheese selections in Spain and if it is easy to find goat/sheep cheese and what it might be named?

I'll be starting my walk in April and look forward to everything. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lots of goat and sheep cheese, some of the best in the world!
Goat cheese is Queso de cabra. It´s available everywhere, in "rulo" rolled form, or in rounds, or slices.
Sheep´s cheese is Queso de oveja. This is the local cheese out here in the meseta where I live.
It comes in varieties: Curado, (cured) which is sharp and hard and very good with tinto wine; Semi, or semi-curado, which is half-cured, great on sandwiches and travels well; and Tierno, fresh cheese. Soft and gentle, no knife needed to slice it. Great with fruit!
Cow´s milk cheese is lovely too, it is Queso de Vaca. Cheese labeled "Mezcla" is a mix of different types of milk.

Goat cheese is Queso de cabra.
Sheep´s cheese is Queso de oveja.
Cow´s milk cheese is lovely too, it is Queso de Vaca. Cheese labeled "Mezcla" is a mix of different types of milk.

Thank you for the information! Definitely going in my notes. It can be difficult to find good cheese where I live in Alaska, especially affordable goat/sheep cheese. I'm looking forward to experiencing all the [qualifying] cheese I can get my hands on. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Basque cheese is said to be the best goat and sheep cheese in the world. BTW....there are pictures on the animal which it comes from on most of the cheese packaging....which makes it easier to buy! I am one of those who did the Camino carrying fresh bread from the panaderias and fresh cheese and prosciutto or salami. Delicious!! Buen Camino.

Basque cheese is said to be the best goat and sheep cheese in the world. BTW....there are pictures on the animal which it comes from on most of the cheese packaging....which makes it easier to buy! I am one of those who did the Camino carrying fresh bread from the panaderias and fresh cheese and prosciutto or salami. Delicious!! Buen Camino.

Oh wow, that sounds marvelous! Maybe I'll be able to find some gluten-free bread, but in the meantime fruits and meats will do the trick! I really cannot explain how excited I am about the cheese - it was one of my favorite foods most of my life until we discovered that a lot of my chronic pain issues came from cow dairy. For a brief while there was a local goat farmer who sold cheese but they moved away about 10 years ago. CHEESE!!!!

Check your local regulations but as New Zealand is one of the most restrictive countries for bringing food into and they allow cheese, you may be able to take some home with you. We always take some (a lot) home - and even after six months the curado and semicurado are still perfectly edible, if a little dry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are in for a cheese treat. Lots of deliciousness to be found in España!
One of my favorite sheeps-milk cheese is Manchego.
Read here for more.
And if you are walking the Norte, you will pass by a big sign for another delicious sheeps-milk cheese, Idiazabal.
Read here for more.
And the list goes on and on.
Buen provecho y buen camino.

Last edited:
Even if you can't remember the Spanish words for goat and sheep cheese, the wrappers usually have a picture of the appropriate animal on them to aid in selection.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought some wonderful sheep's milk cheese from the white van man who sells coffee and snacks up on the crossing over the Pyrenees, some km after Orisson.

And I had many many meals (picnics and in bars) of bread, jamon, manchego and olives. Plus wine of course! I am so looking forward to going back to Spain in April.

Thank you for all the advice, everyone! I'm taking notes and am really looking forward to this trip. :)

Goat cheese is Queso de cabra. It´s available everywhere, in "rulo" rolled form, or in rounds, or slices.
Sheep´s cheese is Queso de oveja. This is the local cheese out here in the meseta where I live.
It comes in varieties: Curado, (cured) which is sharp and hard and very good with tinto wine; Semi, or semi-curado, which is half-cured, great on sandwiches and travels well; and Tierno, fresh cheese. Soft and gentle, no knife needed to slice it. Great with fruit!
Hello Rebekah!!! This discussion on Cheese by you is very good and helpful!! Thank you and good to see you on the forum adding value to the questions!!! Ed and patty

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is the type of conversations I like! One of my most important bags on El Camino was the one containing my daily ration of Queso de Vaca, Jamon Curado, and my bar of chocolate. Stop, eat a few pieces, drink some water, keep on walking! Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.