Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID God Bless Moderators

Book your train ticket here

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
God Bless whoever shut down comments on the recent post "Good news possibly coming from Spain!"

Absolutely no disrespect to anyone who posted or wanted to post, but I immediately started to hyperventilate as the politics started unfolding in that thread. I totally appreciate Covid discussions and immediate information, but one reason I love this forum is that it stays on point about something we all love so much, whether we've gotten there yet or not.

I've watched my immediate community and outward nations devolve/disappear into a black hole on this topic, and this protected space on something that is coming to fruition for me finally has been deeply cherished.
Again, no disrespect intended towards anyone or their desire to communicate.
With appreciation and gratitude...

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
Thank you from me too.
I don't have the usual social media accounts - but am grateful for this quiet space. It is remarkable - due in large part to all the mods' eagle eyes and steady hands.

Mods have the thankless and endless task of keeping things civil here - I wouldn't know, but am guessing it's a much harder task than it used to be

Past OR future Camino
Camino Madrid/Frances 2021
Future- del Norte 2022
Everyone has an opinion and the only opinion that matters is the right one..............
I walked from Madrid to Sahagun and then to Santiago last year in Sept -Oct. There was little talk about COVID, we all just tried to be kind and not let it ruin our walk. Everyone had an opinion but we kept it to ourselves and enjoyed the Camino while trying to be particularly sensitive to the local seniors.

jimsantiago

I was the OP of the thread in question. It didn't seem to get particularly uncivil to me, but I understand that we all have varying levels of tolerance for free and open discourse. In any case, we are simply guests here, and the mods have every right to manage the space as they see fit.

I hope to meet some of you on the Way soon.

Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
we all have varying levels of tolerance for free and open discourse
It's not free and open discourse that's the issue, but rather the potential for things to go south into nastiness. The mods know where the triggers are and sometimes they do shut down a thread before everyone thinks it's time. In my mind, that occasional annoyance is a very small price to pay for a space online that isn't poisoned with divisiveness - with everyone attacking everyone just because of differing opinions.

Camino Creative Credencial Workshop
A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

jimsantiago

It's not free and open discourse that's the issue, but rather the potential for things to go south into nastiness. The mods know where the triggers are and sometimes they do shut down a thread before everyone thinks it's time. In my mind, that occasional annoyance is a very small price to pay for a space online that isn't poisoned with divisiveness - with everyone attacking everyone just because of differing opinions.
I take your point. It is unfortunate that so many find it impossible to debate dispassionately and without resorting to personal attacks.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads