• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD God Bless Moderators: Shutting Down Comments to Keep the Forum on Point

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
God Bless whoever shut down comments on the recent post "Good news possibly coming from Spain!"

Absolutely no disrespect to anyone who posted or wanted to post, but I immediately started to hyperventilate as the politics started unfolding in that thread. I totally appreciate Covid discussions and immediate information, but one reason I love this forum is that it stays on point about something we all love so much, whether we've gotten there yet or not.

I've watched my immediate community and outward nations devolve/disappear into a black hole on this topic, and this protected space on something that is coming to fruition for me finally has been deeply cherished.
Again, no disrespect intended towards anyone or their desire to communicate.
With appreciation and gratitude...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you from me too.
I don't have the usual social media accounts - but am grateful for this quiet space. It is remarkable - due in large part to all the mods' eagle eyes and steady hands.

Mods have the thankless and endless task of keeping things civil here - I wouldn't know, but am guessing it's a much harder task than it used to be

Everyone has an opinion and the only opinion that matters is the right one..............
I walked from Madrid to Sahagun and then to Santiago last year in Sept -Oct. There was little talk about COVID, we all just tried to be kind and not let it ruin our walk. Everyone had an opinion but we kept it to ourselves and enjoyed the Camino while trying to be particularly sensitive to the local seniors.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was the OP of the thread in question. It didn't seem to get particularly uncivil to me, but I understand that we all have varying levels of tolerance for free and open discourse. In any case, we are simply guests here, and the mods have every right to manage the space as they see fit.

I hope to meet some of you on the Way soon.

we all have varying levels of tolerance for free and open discourse
It's not free and open discourse that's the issue, but rather the potential for things to go south into nastiness. The mods know where the triggers are and sometimes they do shut down a thread before everyone thinks it's time. In my mind, that occasional annoyance is a very small price to pay for a space online that isn't poisoned with divisiveness - with everyone attacking everyone just because of differing opinions.

It's not free and open discourse that's the issue, but rather the potential for things to go south into nastiness. The mods know where the triggers are and sometimes they do shut down a thread before everyone thinks it's time. In my mind, that occasional annoyance is a very small price to pay for a space online that isn't poisoned with divisiveness - with everyone attacking everyone just because of differing opinions.
I take your point. It is unfortunate that so many find it impossible to debate dispassionately and without resorting to personal attacks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.