• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GoFundMe?

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
I’ve seen more and more GoFundMe for the Camino. Is this a new thing? Is it absurd? Is it acceptable?

I’m going for my third Camino, I am not retired so I have to work extra hours, save my PTO and wait 1 1/2 years for 1st Camino, 6 months for 2nd and over a year for my 3rd coming up this Summer. I’ve scrimped and saved never thinking about asking others to fund me. If this is the new thing, will you GoFundMe? (Just Joking 🤣)

Thoughts? :D👣

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I’ve seen more and more GoFundMe for the Camino. Is this a new thing? Is it absurd? Is it acceptable?

I’m going for my third Camino, I am not retired so I have to work extra hours, save my PTO and wait 1 1/2 years for 1st Camino, 6 months for 2nd and over a year for my 3rd coming up this Summer. I’ve scrimped and saved never thinking about asking others to fund me. If this is the new thing, will you GoFundMe? 👣:D

Thoughts?
No, it's not acceptable to me!

Not a completely new idea. A 21st century variation on the old concept of pilgrimage by proxy I think. There was a thread a couple of years ago about a man who offered to walk pilgrimages for a substantial fee to pay off the vows and spiritual obligations of his sponsors vicariously ;-)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
It seems to be a fairly common way to hustle up funds for various activities.
I would never do it, nor would I contribute to one, but if a prospective pilgrim can convince others to pay for their walk by rattling an internet tin cup, I say go for it.
Who knows, maybe the person throwing a few dollars their way feels better about themselves afterwards. :D

It is odd...but I can't see any moral problem with this (provided that the person actually does the pilgrimage and it is not some kind of scam).
This piqued my curiosity and browsed some announcements. Many are offering some kind of justification. And anyway, it is an agreement between adult, rational persons . And a cybernetic variation of the time-honored practice of squeezing your parents to make the "European tour" (promising museums and culture, instead of bars and parties...) :)
What surprises me is that somebody could actually give money to a completely unknown person, instead of going personally to the Camino. But I can imagine certain circunstances (being ill and incapacitated, for instance) where the idea would not seem so farfetched to me.
As @bradyus commented, in medieval times it was possible to make a "pilgrimage by proxy", basically hiring a pilgrim. Currently, I have read that the cathedral accepts that you make the walk this way -although I don't believe they would accept that you walk for probably 15 or 20 other people.

Last edited:
Not a completely new idea. A 21st century variation on the old concept of pilgrimage by proxy I think. There was a thread a couple of years ago about a man who offered to walk pilgrimages for a substantial fee to pay off the vows and spiritual obligations of his sponsors vicariously ;-)

I walked the VdlP in return for a fee... I carried peoples thoughts, wishes, hopes and regrets to Santiago and Muxia. The money I raised was all going to charity and I found that carrying these deep secrets and fears very moving.

I've written about here (santiago) https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/49-there-and-back-again/ and here (muxia) https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/08/50-the-real-end/

I did a talk last year for International Womans Day and used my carrying 'sins' by proxy as my theme... there were times when I struggled to talk as I still find the experience so moving.

p.s. i never carried 'sins' ... just hopes, dreams, fears and regrets

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

For what purpose are these people walking the Camino? Are they religious enthusiasts? Penitents? Sightseeing tourists? Extreme sportsmen?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For what purpose are these people walking the Camino? Are they religious enthusiasts? Penitents? Sightseeing tourists? Extreme sportsmen?
I typed gofundme camino santiago into Google and looked through a number of GoFundMe pages that came up. A considerable number are people who are raising money for a charitable cause, not for themselves. Some are college students on a college trip from the USA. Others ask for money to finance their individual camino. I did not read these pages very carefully but my overall impression was that it was for their well-being, ie better mental or physical health, personal growth, but as I said I did not read in great depth as there is often a LOT of text on these pages.

I lived for decades in a wonderful west coast (USA) city. It was a temperate climate and, consequently, the numbers of transients seemed to grow beginning in the 80s and into this new century. I learned to never give money directly to them, but rather give a card to a charity I supported that would give them a free meal three times a day.
Begging in the modern age may take a different form, but it is still follows in the footsteps of countless beggars from earlier times. I still don't give money and I don't even give a card.
The point is that I don't blame a beggar for asking. I may choose to give directly to them or not. Either way, it does not affect my life. Would I ever give to a potential pilgrim on a GoFundMe page? It really would depend on the individual asking, but I have a predisposition not to donate to this type of request.
On the other hand, I have no problems with an individual who is paid to walk for another. Again, that has nothing to do with me personally and is none of my business. Let them walk however they can....even if it is vicariously.

Last edited:
Or better still ‘go fund’ a charity. My partner has raised over 5,000 euros for a local cancer charity in sponsorship for my walks. I would never dream of asking for any contribution towards my costs.
There are people out there who for any number of reasons simply cannot afford to walk the Camino, whatever their motivation to do so. It will just never happen without some type of financial assistance as it can be quite expensive to just get to Spain from outside the European continent.
When I was younger I would never had been able to walk it due simply to my and my family's socioeconomic situation at the time. Now that has changed and I much more fortunate and blessed economically. I suppose had something like "gofundme" existed back then and someone would have financed me, who knows, I probably would have accepted it. In fact, this thread has me curious now. I'll have to research some of those gofundme's and if there is one that touches me, I will throw some copper their way. After all, you cannot take it with you. ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I’m going for my third Camino, I am not retired so I have to work extra hours, save my PTO and wait 1 1/2 years for 1st Camino, 6 months for 2nd and over a year for my 3rd coming up this Summer. I’ve scrimped and saved never thinking about asking others to fund me. If this is the new thing, will you GoFundMe? 👣:D

Thoughts?

Without malice but as a point of personal observation, I view that type of GoFundMe as Social Media Begging.

For some things -- like medical care bills -- it can be a Godsend as an avenue for fund raising. However, for a lot of the 'personal fulfillment desires' that are begging for funds, it is no different in my mind, than someone who is standing on a street corner, signs displayed, asking for money. Or of beggars seeking money along the Caminos.

It is legal, as is some allowable street side begging, so it is what it is. Let the taxing authorities decide if this is considered 'income' or not. :)

Without malice but as a point of personal observation, I view that type of GoFundMe as Social Media Begging.

For some things -- like medical care bills -- it can be a Godsend as an avenue for fund raising. However, for a lot of the 'personal fulfillment desires' that are begging for funds, it is no different in my mind, than someone who is standing on a street corner, signs displayed, asking for money. Or of beggars seeking money along the Caminos.

It is legal, as is some allowable street side begging, so it is what it is. Let the taxing authorities decide if this is considered 'income' or not. :)
Of course it is begging, panhandling, tin cup rattling, pass the hat etc, and just as I occasionally throw coins in a beggars cup, I would throw digital money into the web based cup of some economically strained person wanting to walk the Camino. Mind you, I do realize there is some blind trust involved. Choose your recipients wisely I suppose. Who's to say the person doesn't take the money and spend it on cocaine and strippers, or new electronics etc. Same with the beggar on the street. Is he going to take those coins and bills and eat, or is going to by a bottle of hootch or a hit of heroin?
quien sabe?

Of course it is begging, panhandling, tin cup rattling, pass the hat etc, and just as I occasionally throw coins in a beggars cup, I would throw digital money into the web based cup of some economically strained person wanting to walk the Camino. Mind you, I do realize there is some blind trust involved. Choose your recipients wisely I suppose. Who's to say the person doesn't take the money and spend it on cocaine and strippers, or new electronics etc. Same with the beggar on the street. Is he going to take those coins and bills and eat, or is going to by a bottle of hootch or a hit of heroin?
quien sabe?

Which is why I never give to beggars. :) Although if I run into someone in distress over a lack of food, I will offer to take them to a quick service restaurant, and then to a mission or shelter.

Instead, I donate both time and funds to those organizations which have decent track records of providing services for those in need. I do carry a few business sized cards when I am out and about, which will give directions to beggars to help them access the shelters and charity services to which I spend volunteer time. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not every GoFundMe is for funeral expenses, paying for a transplant, or a college fund for orphaned children. The trend seemed to have begun in cases of need and financial desperation, so there is a tinge of charity and altruism and feel good for both sides. (Which may lead to a bit of judgement of what is justifiable to ask for.)

It is amazing some of the reasons people have given for opening an account that have nothing to do with need or situation. I agree that it is a form of begging. As a more mature (ok older ) adult, begging would have a sense of shame for me. It seems, these days, people are more comfortable asking for anything, why not . I am also amazed that people give it to them.

So as others commented, what happens between two consenting adults is between them. I had to remind myself of that when my adult brothers would approach my mom to bail them out of life's choices, and she would. The "injustice" of that burnt in my craw. Till I had to let go, because it was none of my business.
At least now I can laugh without attachment when I see people willing to toss their money. ( rather than feeling frustration at something I cannot control like looking at where that money could have done more good).

and when I give ( anything: money, presents, time) I have to let go of expectations of what the recipient will do with it. I have given it away
oops guess this is my soap box

I have donated money through Go Fund Me to two fundraising projects so far associated with the camino. The first of these groups was raising funds for military veterans with PTSD to walk the camino. I was confident, for various reasons, that the fundraising was approved by a related military association. The second was for a woman who was trying to raise money to open her own pilgrim accommodation along the Camino Frances. She was recommended by someone whom I respect and I decided to make a donation. On my pilgrimage this year, I hope to be able to stay one night with her and see how she is doing. But as for supporting an individual who cannot get the money together to walk the camino, I don't think so. There are so many urgent needs in this world and I give what I can to those charities through which I think the cash can do the most good.

A couple of years ago I had a young relative while still at the university go on a sort of charitable trip to a impoverished country whereupon they would do things with the local church there to help the needy. Things such as helping repaint a community center of sorts, some minor cleanup etc. Nothing really earth changing and when all said and done nothing that would really change that impoverished community's life for the better to any great extent. In order for these young people to make the trip they had to raise funds. I thought it absurd and illogical. It seemed to my practical mind that would it not be better to just take the equivalent amount of money spent to send them there etc and just put it towards a reputable charity and forgo the younger folk's trip? Of course I kept that opinion to myself, not wanting to invoke the wrath of kin. ;)
In the end I gave some money towards it. I thought that maybe the experience would effect some of those young people later in life to do even more and more effective acts of charity and kindness in their lives and also to enrich their life experience. Sort of like sowing a seed? See what is on the other side of the hill. How other people not so fortunate live day to day. Even if just for two weeks.
I did look on gofundme at the various walk the Camino money raising ventures. Most of them are years old and expired. I really only saw one still in progress.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I gave money to Efren Gonzales' GoFundMe for his trek on the Via Francigena last year. Why? Because his expertly edited and produced Camino Frances Youtube videos continue to bring me joy and help thousands of others who are thinking of doing a camino. He is transitioning from his career in the film industry to being professional youtube-video/traveler and I was happy to be a patron to support this dream.

Topics such as this really illustrate our own relationship and views towards money, wealth (lack thereof), "begging" etc---not the actual person doing the GoFundMe. I notice the word "beggars" being tossed about on this thread which...I mean, is a dehumanizing term and rather antiquated. When our society (I'm thinking of my own country - US) continues to make it extremely hard for people to simply make a living (astronomical rents, medical bills, job loss with crappy safety nets) then things like Go Fund Me crop up. It's also ingrained in America's psyche to be very individualistic and...the attitude of "I worked hard for years to save etc, so heck no I don't want to make it easy for someone else when I had it hard" is a familiar attitude I was raised with (and loathe)....it's very me/mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also ingrained in America's psyche to be very individualistic and...the attitude of "I worked hard for years to save etc, so heck no I don't want to make it easy for someone else when I had it hard" is a familiar attitude I was raised with (and loathe)....it's very me/mine.
That is a rather pigeon holing comment and nothing that I have experienced in the broad sense. As a generalization or stereotype. I have lived and experienced both sides of the fence.
While not raised with a silver spoon in my mouth, I was not raised with a wooden one either (more like just plain steel), I did manage, and other family members as well, to do okay and that was done through hard work, taking risks. I would hope that anyone else would want to follow said path. Hard work and risks pay off. I do not believe in making it easy for anyone through a hand-out, and I mean that in the sense of here you go, have fun, good bye. I would want any hand-up (not hand-out) to be an investment. Like I said before, a seed sown. That seed sprouts into further goodwill in the future.
One thing I do draw the line on a bit is the youtuber's asking for money. Some just want free funding for their permanent vacation. Ummm....no. :D

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would mostly agree with posters that said it's the transaction (money in this case) between two consenting adults.
Maybe my views on this are coming from my current socioeconomic situation meaning that even as graduated Film & TV director (with about 20 years of making mostly documentaries) I can not get a decent job for past three years. Yes, I even enrolled for a garbage collector (a bit of a social experiment) and was rejected. Reason? Education level way too high. Really? I don't have two hands too I guess or they must be too clever for that boss :)

And this combined with me being true Camino addict has made me think to use GoFundMe or KickStarter etc. options. I haven't. I tried to make some money through my Camino skills (as guide, plotter, researcher etc.) but everything eventually went south. I have walked 10 different Caminos (not even close to some of the forum members but also not without knowledge too) but maybe my age at 49 is a problem. I don't know. But I'm considering making "can rattling" on something as GFM. What else is there I can ask you for? Find a job? Yeah right...

All that said I don't have any problem with people asking for the money to undergo Camino. Are their motivations true? Will they really go and walk the Camino? I don't know but as I understand those internet applications you have to offer something as a reward, gift etc. So it can be a special mention (Sara Dhooma in her vlogs is thanking people buying the beer she's tasting for example) or an exclusive membership to v/blog or anything else. But as I see it if you get something you have to give something back. Asking? Nothing wrong with that!

Any sense in all this? :D

Last edited:
Any sense in all this? :D
I think so, @KinkyOne.
People can ask, and I can give - or not.
The weight of consequence lies with the person doing the asking. If someone's lying to get cash for whatever they're planting bad seeds which will eventually produce a bitter harvest. But planting good seeds of letting go and sharing will always bring sweet fruit, in the moment and later.
Anyway it's not 'my money,' it's just a proxy for energy. Which is meant to move, rather than being stuck in one place. Facilitating that movment is a source of genuine happiness. Our culture doesn't teach us that, only quid pro quo. Hence...
People are SO weird about money!
Amen.

I think so, @KinkyOne.
People can ask, and I can give - or not.
The weight of consequence lies with the person doing the asking. If someone's lying to get cash for whatever they're planting bad seeds which will eventually produce a bitter harvest. But planting good seeds of letting go and sharing will always bring sweet fruit, in the moment and later.
Anyway it's not 'my money,' it's just a proxy for energy. Which is meant to move, rather than being stuck in one place. Facilitating that movment is a source of genuine happiness. Our culture doesn't teach us that, only quid pro quo. Hence...

Amen.
Bautifully put!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
That is a rather pigeon holing comment and nothing that I have experienced in the broad sense. As a generalization or stereotype. I have lived and experienced both sides of the fence.
While not raised with a silver spoon in my mouth, I was not raised with a wooden one either (more like just plain steel), I did manage, and other family members as well, to do okay and that was done through hard work, taking risks. I would hope that anyone else would want to follow said path. Hard work and risks pay off. I do not believe in making it easy for anyone through a hand-out, and I mean that in the sense of here you go, have fun, good bye. I would want any hand-up (not hand-out) to be an investment. Like I said before, a seed sown. That seed sprouts into further goodwill in the future.
One thing I do draw the line on a bit is the youtuber's asking for money. Some just want free funding for their permanent vacation. Ummm....no. :D

Perhaps it was a pigeonholed-esque comment, and maybe I proved my own point about one's relationship to money. :) I always think of these types of campaigns as an energy exchange, a way to give back or support someone who has created something meaningful. Or like you said, a seed sown.

Perhaps it was a pigeonholed-esque comment, and maybe I proved my own point about one's relationship to money. :) I always think of these types of campaigns as an energy exchange, a way to give back or support someone who has created something meaningful. Or like you said, a seed sown.
How? Enlighten, please....

I typed gofundme camino santiago into Google and looked through a number of GoFundMe pages that came up. A considerable number are people who are raising money for a charitable cause, not for themselves.

As it is written in the Scriptures:

French Captain: Mr. Avery, do you know why you are walking the Way?

Tom: I suppose I'm doing it for Daniel.

French Captain: You walk the Way for yourself, only for yourself.

Last edited:
Which is why I never give to beggars. :)

I always give to beggars, even when I know that I'm being humbugged. (I've even given money to the the Galician ladies with that bogus petition for the deaf and dumb!) 😇

That said, let me complain for a moment. Whenever I pass through any of the larger towns/cities on the Camino Frances wearing my clerical collar I'm swarmed with beggars! The collar is a beggar magnet! I have to keep a pocket full of small bills, sigh.... 😠

Last edited:
I always give to beggars, even when I know that I'm being humbugged. (I've even given money to the the Galician ladies with that bogus petition for the deaf and dumb!) 😇

That said, let me complain for a moment. Whenever I pass through any of the larger towns/cities on the Camino Frances wearing my clerical collar I'm swarmed with beggars! The collar is a beggar magnet, sigh.... I have to keep a pocket full of small bills.... 😠

I should have said I never give 'directly' to beggars. :)

I sometimes give to beggars and sometimes not. However, when on camino I made a point of trying to always give to the beggars I encountered. The spirit of charity seemed to be consistent with trying to be a pilgrim.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
this thread has me curious now. I'll have to research some of those gofundme's and if there is one that touches me, I will throw some copper their way
Topics such as this really illustrate our own relationship and views towards money, wealth (lack thereof), "begging" etc---not the actual person doing the GoFundMe. I notice the word "beggars" being tossed about on this thread
Food for thought. I'm with those who, in general, rarely gives money to "beggars" and donates occasionally to a charity of one sort or another, apart from the few coins or a small banknote during collection in church. I even loathe being asked to donate when someone goes on a self-financed trip and raises money for a good cause in addition to it.

I had completely forgotten that I had actually donated a modest sum (less than 100 €) on a GoFundMe page that had reached its goal of $12,000 to finance a month long Camino Frances for 2 pilgrims. Someone had posted about them on this forum, without any reference to their fundraising efforts, and later we happened to meet them on the way. They didn't mention fundraising at all but shared their story and I later looked up the thread again and googled a bit, discovered the GoFundMe page and donated something because I wanted to be part of those who made it possible for them to realise their camino, despite the fact that they had already exceeded their fundraising goal. Their biggest donor was a US business owner and apparent philanthropist who had donated nearly $10,000.

So ... apparently we don't rush to part with our money to make it possible for others to go on pilgrimage in Spain and reap its many benefits ...

Last edited:
$12,000 for 2 people???? Unless they're coming from Mars that seems like an awful lot of money. Were there any special circumstances that necessitated such a large amount?

It's not something I would do but as others have said people are free to ask and others free to give.

$12,000 for 2 people???? Unless they're coming from Mars that seems like an awful lot of money. Were there any special circumstances that necessitated such a large amount?
I had to go back and check. It was actually for the 2 pilgrims and 2 others who walked with them just in case as one of them had a rare form of epilepsy. This was the breakdown:

$1,500.00 for planes, trains & buses​
$37.50 per day x 40 days = $1,500.00 for food & bunking​
so $3,000 x 4 = $12,000.00 in total​

One of the 2 pilgrims had already been on a Camino Frances pilgrimage before.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now that I think about it, for several years, I've made donations - much more than the annual membership fee - to Compostelle 2000 and this also contributes directly to financing two weeks of pilgrimage for a handful of pilgrims every year. But that's not done via GoFundMe.

I need to check whether I've already grown a halo. 😇

Last edited:
Well at least a Gofundme page is more honest than what I once encountered... On a lonely winter camino day, I ended up walking with a pilgrim who informed me that he was a practising "freegan". He told me that he had spent the last 6 months living in Europe without any money; he really couldn't say enough about how much freeganism had liberated him. He said he always offered something in return for goods or services, and that the exchange was more honest and human than cash or credit. By the time we got to end of the stage, it was pouring with rain and the albergue was closed. I knew this so had booked a hotel in advance. The freegan looked at me with puppy dog eyes. Of course I ended up paying for a room for him. Total sucker. I joked about what he was going to "exchange" for this. His answer, I kid you not, was: "The great thing about freeganism is that it gives people the opportunity to be generous. You're welcome."

I joked about what he was going to "exchange" for this. His answer, I kid you not, was: "The great thing about freeganism is that it gives people the opportunity to be generous. You're welcome."
Don't forget all the stories you get to tell about this too. You may get more than your money's worth. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thoughts?
Go Fund an albergue by leaving a substantial donation. I have had the good fortune to be a Hospitalero three times and paid for those expenses from a fixed income of a senior citizen (far from the 1%). I once posted an ad in a church bulletins for "air miles" to help with costs (no response ). An "All Paid Camino" is not a dream of mine although stronger legs have been wished for.

On my first Camino, Roncesvalles to Santiago to Finisterre, 11 years ago, out in front of the Cathedral I happened to run into a couple whom I had met in the UK just before starting out. Friends of friends, y'know. Small world - they were there just as tourists and impressed that I had walked. (I thought it an easy walk actually, and was just thrilled to have done it). As my purpose in walking was in solidarity with Tibetan refugees who walk over the Himalayas to freedom and as it was obvious I'm, ahem, on the skint side of life, they offered me a donation.

No way at all would I have considered accepting. (I pointed them in the direction of a charity for Tibetan assistance) . It just would have seemed wrong but I have a hard time saying why. Maybe fierce independence, foolish pride, or the fact that I consider myself 'rich' and money has nothing to do with it.

Thoughts?
For me, never; but for others, I’d try to refrain from judging and offer a qualification that it depends. For example, a fund set up by family and friends of a loved one facing a terminal illness and has dreamed of going on pilgrimage. I would contribute to that. But for others, not. To be a pilgrim is to suffer at leadt a little and that suffering may include the sacrifice of saving and foregoing other things in order to go on pilgrimage, which at its core is what the Camino actually is.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Strictly speaking, and theologically, money and riches are only yours because it was indirectly entrusted to you, let's just say, "by a higher power..." As such, you are the custodian of that money. How do you 'invest' it properly? Remember, you are the custodian. In that relationship, you do have a choice.

As the Hello Dolly (1970s musical) lead character Mister Horace Vandergelder is famously quoted as stating... "Money is like horse manure. It does no good unless it is spread around..."

Pithy words, but true, in many contexts. That line sounds like it might have come from the writings of Benjamin Franklin...but whatever, the point is well made.

I am not blameless here. Like Davebugg, I do not give directly to panhandlers or beggars on the street, or anonymous phone callers, or junk mail requests. I do give time and treasure to charitable organizations, both at home and abroad.

I am mindful of the scriptural admonitions to be generous. My choice is how I donate... But, like I said at the top, it is only my money temporarily. During my life, I have attended many funerals. Let's face it, sooner or later, we all get one. However, I have NEVER seen an armored car, or a moving van, following the hearse, carrying your remaining money and stuff.

Hope this helps the dialog.

Now that I think about it, for several years, I've made donations - much more than the annual membership fee - to Compostelle 2000 and this also contributes directly to financing two weeks of pilgrimage for a handful of pilgrims every year. But that's not done via GoFundMe.

I need to check whether I've already grown a halo. 😇
Katarina, there is a crown awaiting you in Heaven.

hqdefault.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well at least a Gofundme page is more honest than what I once encountered... On a lonely winter camino day, I ended up walking with a pilgrim who informed me that he was a practising "freegan". He told me that he had spent the last 6 months living in Europe without any money; he really couldn't say enough about how much freeganism had liberated him. He said he always offered something in return for goods or services, and that the exchange was more honest and human than cash or credit. By the time we got to end of the stage, it was pouring with rain and the albergue was closed. I knew this so had booked a hotel in advance. The freegan looked at me with puppy dog eyes. Of course I ended up paying for a room for him. Total sucker. I joked about what he was going to "exchange" for this. His answer, I kid you not, was: "The great thing about freeganism is that it gives people the opportunity to be generous. You're welcome."
Freegan..... :D . Jesus, that is funny. Freeganism ( :D ) liberated him from what? Working for a living?
I have to give that freeloader credit for being so open and honest, though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thoughts?

I can relate. I scrimped and saved. Every time I had money to go, I didn't have the freedom. When I did have the freedom, I didn't have the money. I even went to the extreme of getting rid of cable television because it was the one frivolous expense I had. It's been seven years and I still haven't been, though this year looks hopeful. It was hard watching the GoFundMe pilgrims use the forum to make their plea. Or maybe I was just jealous that they were going to be able to walk before me.

What I learned is that I have to stay in my own lane. I was raised the harder you work for something, the more it means. So when I do get to SJPP to begin, I know what the journey will mean to me.

Give if you want to give. For me personally, I would rather give money to APOC for a scholarship for someone rather than someone on GoFundMe. I would rather make a 100 euro donation at a donativio. I certainly would NOT sponsor someone who had already been on prior Caminos.

@FourSeasons we may not get to Heaven by our works but with our works we can show others our faith. And scripture also reminds us that faith without works is dead. 😇

Last edited:
It's great and noble to contribute to a cause that speaks to your heart. However, we don't get to Heaven by our works but by faith so that no one can boast. Be mindful of a tarnished halo. :)👣Now GoFundMe!! LOL
Great moment to name drop a sola fide into the conversation 🙃. Plus I'm normally mum on the worldwide web about the sum of my good deeds and my bad deeds and so far I'm still breathing and it's not yet all over so let's not go there at all 😉.

Initially, when I read your first post, @FourSeasons , I thought I would never donate to such a GoFundMe page and it was only while writing a few replies that I remembered that I had actually donated a few hundred euros so that people could go on a camino pilgrimage or continue it (ie not donations for camino infrastructure or the odd meal or drink on the way).

The point is, however, that they did not solicit a donation from me directly, I more or less knew them, and they probably don't even know that it was me who contributed. They did not offer to pray for me and it didn't even make me feel particularly charitable, I just wanted them to be able to go or continue. And when I donated on other GoFundMe pages, it was for a family member, for a good friend, or for the kids of work colleagues when they were going to run a marathon or half marathon or similar and were raising money for a charity of their choice.

So I wonder whether most of these Camino GoFundMe pages have a similar function, ie they are public but are addressed to a fairly limited group of friends and family? You say that you have "seen more and more GoFundMe for the Camino". How do you become aware of them? Facebook?

Last edited:
Freegan..... :D . Jesus, that is funny. Freeganism ( :D ) liberated him from what? Working for a living?
I have to give that freeloader credit for being so open and honest, though.
Freeganism...The cheekyness of this guy must have been amazing. Perhaps another payment in kind was this life lesson? “Be as wise as serpents and gentle as doves.”

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So I wonder whether most of these Camino GoFundMe pages have a similar function, ie they are public but are addressed to a fairly limited public of friends and family? You say that you have "seen more and more GoFundMe for the Camino". How do you become aware of them? Facebook?

Your question got me curious too. I went on the Go Fund Me site. Currently there are 405 open fundraisers when I did a search for Camino de Santiago but many of them are not in fact "new" fundraisers. The majority are several years old

I spend the better part of each year in a country that seems to always top the World Giving Index for donations, and generosity is through the entire culture. It rubs off, and I value the chance to be generous much more than I ever used to.
And what make this guy's parting shot so priceless is that on one level it's actually true. Giving open-handedly and with no agenda about the recipient is a manifestation of the highest form of love. So he was your test and reality check. ;)
I'd have probably done the same thing, in your shoes, probably with only so-so marks on the test. :oops:

I run Peaceable Projects Inc., a small non-profit that raises money for specific improvement projects on the Caminos de Santiago. As many of you know, I ask people for money, directly. And I am very happy to say the people on this Forum, as well as FB and other web pages, are over-the-top generous. They've paid for dozens of beds, mattresses, and pellet stoves for donativo albergues, they've supported a spay/neuter intitiative in a camino village that's overrun with stray cats. They've replaced picnic benches that were hazardous to pilgrim behinds, and financed litter cleanups over hundreds of kilometers of trails.
St. Francis supposedly said "It is in giving that we receive."
The Proverbs say "he who gives to the needy lends to God."
One of the great outcomes of a Camino well-walked is, apparently, an unclenched heart, and open hands. There are so many ways to keep the Camino kindness flowing. Only a few of them have anything to do with this old trail!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd have probably done the same thing, in your shoes, probably with only so-so marks on the test. :oops:

Well not sure how open-handed I felt at that moment - he didn't really give me a choice! He knew exactly what he was doing, and his parting shot was very clever indeed. I think he got away with it because he was a cheeky young Aussie with a twinkle in his eye.

(p.s. I heard via the camino grapevine that he'd "paid" another pilgrim for accommodation with a spontaneous haiku. Freeloader, or zen master? ha ha)

I can relate. I scrimped and saved. Every time I had money to go, I didn't have the freedom. When I did have the freedom, I didn't have the money. I even went to the extreme of getting rid of cable television because it was the one frivolous expense I had. It's been seven years and I still haven't been, though this year looks hopeful. It was hard watching the GoFundMe pilgrims use the forum to make their plea. Or maybe I was just jealous that they were going to be able to walk before me.

What I learned is that I have to stay in my own lane. I was raised the harder you work for something, the more it means. So when I do get to SJPP to begin, I know what the journey will mean to me.

Give if you want to give. For me personally, I would rather give money to APOC for a scholarship for someone rather than someone on GoFundMe. I would rather make a 100 euro donation at a donativio. I certainly would NOT sponsor someone who had already been on prior Caminos.

@FourSeasons we may not get to Heaven by our works but with our works we can show others our faith. And scripture also reminds us that faith without works is dead. 😇
Give all you want just don't post a selfie while doing so.

Some people give and some people hold their hand out. I have been on both sides. One definitely feels better then the other. The needy don't boast why should the giver?

I also agree with you on NOT funding someone who has already been on the Camino. Others may disagree .... give where your heart leads but give in secret.
;)

Last edited:
I gave money to Efren Gonzales' GoFundMe for his trek on the Via Francigena last year. Why? Because his expertly edited and produced Camino Frances Youtube videos continue to bring me joy and help thousands of others who are thinking of doing a camino. He is transitioning from his career in the film industry to being professional youtube-video/traveler and I was happy to be a patron to support this dream.

Topics such as this really illustrate our own relationship and views towards money, wealth (lack thereof), "begging" etc---not the actual person doing the GoFundMe. I notice the word "beggars" being tossed about on this thread which...I mean, is a dehumanizing term and rather antiquated. When our society (I'm thinking of my own country - US) continues to make it extremely hard for people to simply make a living (astronomical rents, medical bills, job loss with crappy safety nets) then things like Go Fund Me crop up. It's also ingrained in America's psyche to be very individualistic and...the attitude of "I worked hard for years to save etc, so heck no I don't want to make it easy for someone else when I had it hard" is a familiar attitude I was raised with (and loathe)....it's very me/mine.
A lot of people who contributed to Efren Gonzales' GoFundMe for his trek on the Via Francigena were disappointed/angry when he only produced his "minute in a day" posts. They were expecting posts like he did while on the Camino Frances, which I agree where amazing, I think Efren led them to believe they would get more.

He has since asked for more donations and I believe he is leaving today for his multiple Camino adventures. It seems he got the donations he asked for. Did I donate? Well that's my business, now isn't it? ;) I wish him a Buen Camino 👣

It's the "boasting" about the works ----- this is the scripture I was referring to and the point I was making. There is boasting on this thread and so much in the world. Look at me, look at me, see all the good I am doing? Give all you want just don't post a selfie while doing so.

Some people give and some people hold their hand out. I have been on both sides. One definitely feels better then the other. The needy don't boast why should the giver?

I also agree with you on NOT funding someone who has already been on the Camino. Others may disagree .... give where your heart leads but give in secret.
;)
Well to be fair, you started a thread asking a loaded question. And to give you the benefit of the doubt you then asked us all to fund you. I'm assuming it was sarcasm and then when members responded to openly to discuss THEIR experience of giving, how they felt, what their reasons were, you took self-depracating humor of one member to bring into your thread Protestant Christian views, to chastise the member. Which is both patronizing and judgemental. When myself and others pointed out that in our Catholic faith, we give, we do works of mercy, perform acts of love, in keeping with what St. James (ironically) teaches in his letter (see James 2:17), you want to defend your stance. So be it. You opened the door when you played Rabbi, you got schooled and now you want to judge us for sharing our answers with you as "boastful"....give me a break lol. You'll get your own thread shut down real quick.

Just reply "touche" and look to yourself. I had to eat ALOT of crow when I started a controversial thread on my rant about pre-bookers. It was good for me. I learned alot. Be proud of the lengths you have gone to do your Caminos. Don't worry about other people's crowns, lest you lose your own

So, in view of recent posts and a dearth of answers to a question or two ... ;)

Is this about "more and more GoFundMe for the Camino" in general or more specifically about the fundraisers of video producer and YouTuber Efrén González? He has produced stunning drone footage of his Camino Frances and subsequently created two GoFundMe pages, one for the Via Francigena which he has apparently finished and more recently one for his upcoming Camino Portuguese and del Norte.

His pages did not turn up when I searched for Camino Santiago on GoFundMe and that's why I misunderstood the topic of the discussion perhaps ...? Here's a quote from one of his donors: I share your videos a lot. It's only fair we help to support future videos. Buen Camino!

Fair enough, I'd say. So the topic is Free use of intellectual property in the age of the internet? Very topical for anyone who follows current news in the EU. 🤓

Last edited:
Well to be fair, you started a thread asking a loaded question. And to give you the benefit of the doubt you then asked us all to fund you. I'm assuming it was sarcasm and then when members responded to openly to discuss THEIR experience of giving, how they felt, what their reasons were, you took self-depracating humor of one member to bring into your thread Protestant Christian views, to chastise the member. Which is both patronizing and judgemental. When myself and others pointed out that in our Catholic faith, we give, we do works of mercy, perform acts of love, in keeping with what St. James (ironically) teaches in his letter (see James 2:17), you want to defend your stance. So be it. You opened the door when you played Rabbi, you got schooled and now you want to judge us for sharing our answers with you as "boastful"....give me a break lol. You'll get your own thread shut down real quick.

Just reply "touche" and look to yourself. I had to eat ALOT of crow when I started a controversial thread on my rant about pre-bookers. It was good for me. I learned alot. Be proud of the lengths you have gone to do your Caminos. Don't worry about other people's crowns, lest you lose your own
You're funny!! I am not Protestant Christian nor a Catholic, nor a Rabbi as you have accused me of and I did not chastise anyone. But you sure seem hell bent on wanting to put me in my place. Hmmmm, I wonder why? Did I strike a cord? Poke the bear? Forgive me if I did, not my intention. 💞

I have nothing against anyone on this thread for what they believe in or what they stand for or how they contribute or don't contribute. I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments and gained some insight, whether I agree with them or not. I was just sharing my opinion and a few words of wisdom to the following comment someone left on their post. "I need to check whether I've already grown a halo. 😇" Hence my boasting comment. You seem to want me to feel embarrassed for that, I don't.

Yes, my GoFundMe, me comment was a funny comment, I will revise. Trying to have a little laugh. The world is so serious these days. May I suggest a long walk? I know the Camino always mellows me out and puts things in a better perspective. Peace and Love to all. :)👣 Buen Camino.

Thoughts?

I have mixed feelings about it.
I have problems asking and even more receiving without being able to give something of equal or better value back, so for me it would be a no-no.

But, if it comes down to medical, housing, subsistence and other serious life issues then GoFundMe could be a good place to get some help.

I don't think that "street beggars" fall in the same category of GoFundMe users for a lot of reasons that have been explored in another post on this forum.

Neither do "cheeky people" (or crooks from my point of view) who directly try to exploit others for personal gain. Unfortunately, I met a lot of those people in my life. They play the poor/alternative/whatever part asking for everything to be given to them for free because they deserve it, but they were always from wealthy families and could afford whatever they wanted and more. I think that those kind of people prefer to look in the eyes the ones who cheat, so they can feel superior; a simple electronic transaction won't satisfy them much.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Who is Efren Gonzalez? 😱 Nevermind someone might've mentioned him in my thread about the best camino videos ever. But he certainly wasn't mentioned in the original post and he doesn't troll in the FB groups I belong to along the Camino so I would classify him as the exception. I did see that 12 Princeton students are trying to fund their walk from Sarria to Santiago for Holy Week on GoFundMe. It doesn't specify if these are students of religion, why they need to walk as a group, or if they have an actual financial need versus being born into families that can afford tuition. So I know I wont give to them. But I did find a worthy cause to donate to in my googling. I won't share details of course so I don't find myself lumped into the boastful category but I did put my money where my mouth was. And I can't know the people that will be helped because of it.

@FourSeasons I called you Rabbi because it is the title of "Teacher" in Hebrew and you continue to pull the same comment out of context that was given tongue-in-cheek and are trying to "teach" us how right you are, emphasize how wrong the person was, all the while you continue to ignore the scripture I pulled out to raise awareness for you. You used (despite a denied influence of protestant or catholic values) scriptures to shame someone who shamed no one with her response, a response you invited. So she is a guest to your party. She took your bad bait. She interjected with humor and is getting crucified here. That's a real problem for me. I don't let anyone get nailed and publicly shamed for some ignorant, isolated interpretation of one scripture. A scripture you quoted, setting the example that scripture is good and worthy of rebuking others. I followed your example.

Keep back-pedalling. You'll have to edit every response you've made to hide abusing someone innocent from your scripture wielding influence. You see I took a vow when I became a Catholic to defend my faith and those called to it. All you had to say was "Shucks. I'm sorry. I did have some hidden judgement." We all do. That's why we walk, to get rid of the garbage. I'm not out to get you, you didn't poke the bear but nonetheless you did tell me to take a nice long walk. Even though I shared with you from my heart, my very blocked path to getting to the Way with a snarky Buen Camino and how I started my own controversial thread I thought would never end. And you keep quipping back. With scripture. And snarkiness. I liked neither of these.

I'm in menopause. I can keep this up all day. This just may be the best poking I've had in quite some time.😂

Last edited:
I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments and gained some insight, whether I agree with them or not. I was just sharing my opinion and a few words of wisdom to the following comment someone left on their post. "I need to check whether I've already grown a halo. 😇" Hence my boasting comment. You seem to want me to feel embarrassed for that, I don't.
That's a shame in my book, all the way around. Here is the truth I'm going to close my comments with...2 Timothy 2:24 "And the LORD's servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." Buen Camino but I still think you should PM the OP for that comment and apologize. In my book, the Southern American one, we call that common decency.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's snarky. And I actually appreciate snarkiness as a virtue but I wanted to throttle @Kathar1na for her posts on my thread about pre-bookers when I ranted. Yet when I actually read her responses she wasn't being mean. Sometimes things don't translate well. I still had to suck up the truth that was there, vomit it like curd and carry on. I also had to be willing to recognize and accept that on many fronts I was wrong. Like how I didn't know the times, they had'a changed. Pre-booking was about survival. That was a new concept. I'm using my dead mother's estate to walk this year. She would have a cow. She was my chief obstacle-pointer-outer. My parents did not believe in travel. They poo-pooed my desire to walk, and I begged them on two different occasions before my care of them became critical. it was a big fat "NOPE". Or as we say in the American South, suck it up buttercup. I was dying on the inside from not walking and that was their response. No one gets a "free pass" for the Camino. It's been earned in some way shape or the other before. I sucked it up and took care of them. They never saw the inside of a nursing home, not that it's judgement for those who did. But I kept them with me and it was a job even if I didn't get my tax form at the end of the year. They will be proud when I'm walking. When my prayers grant them relief and safe passage. I've always related to Daniel from the Way, "Just don't judge, Don't judge,"

I wanted to throttle [her] for her posts on my thread about pre-bookers when I ranted. Yet when I actually read her responses she wasn't being mean. Sometimes things don't translate well.
Erm ... 🙂... I do try to stay away from lines of discussion that become personal but I feel I have to say something now. Something that comes across as positive and constructive I hope. As long as the thread is not closed. I tried to steer it into a different direction but without success. So: thank you @lizlane, first of all. I do like debate. I do like analytical thought. I agree with much of your analysis in your recent posts. I believe I address facts, ideas and opinions as such, not the person who expresses them. I try to be light-hearted or self-deprecating at times, with varied levels of success.

I remember your recent thread about pre-booking well. I admired how you actually listened to what was said in the thread. Kudos. It's rare.

I found the insistence on "boasting" that a poster brought up in this thread funny at first and then odd. I also felt that it was not just about what I had shared but about others who had shared their thoughts and their actions, too. No apology required as far as I am concerned.

I enjoy reading your open and honest contributions. I really hope that you can walk soon and that it will bring you many good things. Buen camino, peregrina @lizlane!

Last edited:
A lot of people who contributed to Efren Gonzales' GoFundMe for his trek on the Via Francigena were disappointed/angry when he only produced his "minute in a day" posts. They were expecting posts like he did while on the Camino Frances, which I agree where amazing, I think Efren led them to believe they would get more.

He has since asked for more donations and I believe he is leaving today for his multiple Camino adventures. It seems he got the donations he asked for. Did I donate? Well that's my business, now isn't it? ;) I wish him a Buen Camino 👣
I watched a few of his videos. Some very good drone camera footage. Got a bit bored with his narratives, so I mute it. I would rate the videos as fair, or I suppose this experienced walker Camino critic gives them a 6/10. :D
The drone usage I have mixed feelings about. On my last Camino there was a pilgrim walking filming himself with a drone. One of those small ones that sound like a swarm of angry bees or hornets. I saw the pilgrim 2-3 days, and at times he would operate the drone around groups of pilgrims and in small villages while locals are about. Sometimes the damn thing would hover low, very close, that annoying buzzing sound emitting from it. I did not care for that and found it invasive. I remember specifically the drone buzzed low over a local walking two large dogs. Naturally the dogs were frightened by the object and ran away with the local in pursuit. I thought that was just plain rude of the drone operator and after that I made it a point to avoid him. Give him wide berth.
Mind you, I am not saying this Efren fellow was so rude and inconsiderate with his drone. I have no idea in what manner he operated it. I was just relating my encounter with a drone operator on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I run Peaceable Projects Inc., a small non-profit that raises money for specific improvement projects on the Caminos de Santiago. As many of you know, I ask people for money, directly. And I am very happy to say the people on this Forum, as well as FB and other web pages, are over-the-top generous. They've paid for dozens of beds, mattresses, and pellet stoves for donativo albergues, they've supported a spay/neuter intitiative in a camino village that's overrun with stray cats. They've replaced picnic benches that were hazardous to pilgrim behinds, and financed litter cleanups over hundreds of kilometers of trails.
St. Francis supposedly said "It is in giving that we receive."
The Proverbs say "he who gives to the needy lends to God."
One of the great outcomes of a Camino well-walked is, apparently, an unclenched heart, and open hands. There are so many ways to keep the Camino kindness flowing. Only a few of them have anything to do with this old trail!

Yours is exactly the reason I wrote what I did in my post. Having not too long ago donated to Peaceable Projects for an albergue's need for new beds, THAT is how I felt I could provide the best use of my dollars on a Camino-related need.

It is the same reasoning for my investing in Life Memberships in APOC and in this Forum. Although a bit of a clumsy Pop Culture reference, I think of Spock on Star Trek when he first said:
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

That Peaceable Projects sponsored albergue and APOC can decide how best to use my donation or membership fees to the benefit of the Camino and its pilgrims. With new beds, the albergue Hospitaleros can best determine who might need a donated place to sleep for a night. APOC has scholarship programs and the ability to make determinations of how they are applied.

My family gives a lot of money each year to 501c3 charities. We are pretty strict about the number of charities that we donate to. Jill and I evaluate which 5 charities to invest in during October for the coming year. Even charities that we've donated to in the past. We examine their performance both in projects or goals completed, the progress toward the same, and what percentage of every dollar is used to fulfill their stated mission.

To keep a 'face' on helping others, we will also periodically 'adopt' a family in need, so to speak, to offer temporary help with groceries or gas so that it takes makes for a reduced burden while getting back on their feet. We work through our church pastor to help with this.

This has been our way of reaching out to those in need since the beginning of our marriage 32 years ago, even when we were struggling to make ends meet. It was always important to us give in order to help others.

It probably will sound odd to a lot of folks for me to use a military tactical term as an analogy, but I view my money to charities as a 'force multiplier'. I want every cent of every dollar we give to help the maximum number in need.

I can either invest 50 dollars to house one homeless person for one night in a motel, or I can leverage that same amount to house 10 individuals for a week at a Shelter or Mission. The same with food or clothing or any other number of basic needs.

This is why I do not directly give money to beggars. It is inefficient, and how it will actually be used can be wasted and abused, which means that it doesn't help at all.

I know some may cringe at what they believe is a dehumanizing term, but that is not what I believe the term does. Begging and beggar are not terms of judgement or of morality. It is an action; a description of a method used to obtain money or items.

I use the term advisedly. As such, I refuse to adopt anybody's peculiar PC sensibilities about the use of those words. To do so would mean that I accept a premise which does not exist, or an artificial distinction in terminology that has no meaningful difference. 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Yours is exactly the reason I wrote what I did in my post. Having not too long ago donated to Peaceable Projects for an albergue's need for new beds, THAT is how I felt I could provide the best use of my dollars on a Camino-related need.

It is the same reasoning for my investing in Life Memberships in APOC and in this Forum. Although a bit of a clumsy Pop Culture reference, I think of Spock on Star Trek when he first said:
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

That Peaceable Projects sponsored albergue and APOC can decide how best to use my donation or membership fees to the benefit of the Camino and its pilgrims. With new beds, the albergue Hospitaleros can best determine who might need a donated place to sleep for a night. APOC has scholarship programs and the ability to make determinations of how they are applied.

My family gives a lot of money each year to 501c3 charities. We are pretty strict about the number of charities that we donate to. Jill and I evaluate which 5 charities to invest in during October for the coming year. Even charities that we've donated to in the past. We examine their performance both in projects or goals completed, the progress toward the same, and what percentage of every dollar is used to fulfill their stated mission.

To keep a 'face' on helping others, we will also periodically 'adopt' a family in need, so to speak, to offer temporary help with groceries or gas so that it takes makes for a reduced burden while getting back on their feet. We work through our church pastor to help with this.

This has been our way of reaching out to those in need since the beginning of our marriage 32 years ago, even when we were struggling to make ends meet. It was always important to us give in order to help others.

It probably will sound odd to a lot of folks for me to use a military tactical term as an analogy, but I view my money to charities as a 'force multiplier'. I want every cent of every dollar we give to help the maximum number in need.

I can either invest 50 dollars to house one homeless person for one night in a motel, or I can leverage that same amount to house 10 individuals for a week at a Shelter or Mission. The same with food or clothing or any other number of basic needs.

This is why I do not directly give money to beggars. It is inefficient, and how it will actually be used can be wasted and abused, which means that it doesn't help at all.

I know some may cringe at what they believe is a dehumanizing term, but that is not what I believe the term does. Begging and beggar are not terms of judgement or of morality. It is an action; a description of a method used to obtain money or items.

I use the term advisedly. As such, I refuse to adopt anybody's peculiar PC sensibilities about the use of those words. To do so would mean that I accept a premise which does not exist, or an artificial distinction in terminology that has no meaningful difference. 🙂
@davebugg
I agree in general with your choice of selective charitable giving, but nonetheless I have given to other pilgrims along the camino routes when they have shared, or I have perceived, immediate financial needs. A sick pilgrim may need an arm to help her to a nearby albergue and some cash to help her pay her night's lodging and her journey on to Santiago. Another may need a roof over her head from the rain. In these two instances, neither requested my money and one even tried to refuse. These donations will not stop me from giving my regular contributions to my church and to other charities to which I am committed. I admit to having a soft heart for military veterans in particular. A combination of disciplined giving and occasional generosity keeps my heart open to the needy. Those whom I meet along the caminos are my pilgrim family. I express my gratitude to God for calling me to pilgrimage by being generous to His other children.

I’m going for my third Camino, I am not retired so I have to work extra hours, save my PTO and wait 1 1/2 years for 1st Camino, 6 months for 2nd and over a year for my 3rd coming up this Summer. I’ve scrimped and saved never thinking about asking others to fund me. If this is the new thing, will you GoFundMe? (Just Joking 🤣)

I’m kind of in 2 minds on this.
If I have learned one thing on walking the Camino it’s ‘Don’t judge people’.
We don’t know their true circumstances...
But it’s hard not to sometimes ;)

I have to say I felt rather uncomfortable at a request I received last year.
I was attending a $5,000 / head training event.
A young lady was telling me she was taking ‘time out’ to go live in Japan for a year.
She was crowd funding the expense..... :oops:

I wonder how she afforded the event ticket.....

P.S. Like most of us here, I am not heartless when it comes to helping others. Just saying....

Last edited:
@davebugg
I agree in general with your choice of selective charitable giving, but nonetheless I have given to other pilgrims along the camino routes when they have shared, or I have perceived, immediate financial needs. A sick pilgrim may need an arm to help her to a nearby albergue and some cash to help her pay her night's lodging and her journey on to Santiago. Another may need a roof over her head from the rain. In these two instances, neither requested my money and one even tried to refuse. These donations will not stop me from giving my regular contributions to my church and to other charities to which I am committed. I admit to having a soft heart for military veterans in particular. A combination of disciplined giving and occasional generosity keeps my heart open to the needy. Those whom I meet along the caminos are my pilgrim family. I express my gratitude to God for calling me to pilgrimage by being generous to His other children.

I agree with you :) And providing individual or charity donation help is not an either/or proposition. Paying for someone's night's stay when an obvious emergent concern arises, buying someone food at a store or a meal at a restaurant are things that many of us have and will do, and hopefully will always do. Folks like yourself are what helps make the world a better place. :)

I
That said, let me complain for a moment. Whenever I pass through any of the larger towns/cities on the Camino Frances wearing my clerical collar I'm swarmed with beggars! The collar is a beggar magnet! I have to keep a pocket full of small bills, sigh.... 😠

It occcurs to me to add that, to my knowledge, I've never been humbugged by a peregrino, (although I don't doubt that that could happen) -- only by locals....

And I don't mean to attack Espana by saying that. My love for Espana runs so deep that I've thought of retiring there. (I should stop by Peaceable Kingdom this fall, and ask how they did it!)

I have been watching this thread for some time. Here are my thoughts...

Is walking a Camino route a "want" or a "need"? I would place it in the former category and would for that reason probably not contribute to one of the GFM appeals. Just me personally, others are free to assist as they see fit.

I live in one of the less affluent states in the U.S., but the area where I live happens to be a pocket of affluence. In the supermarket where I shop, I sometimes come across a group of children, mothers in the background, selling cookies or pastries to help them raise money for their proposed trip to Costa Rica or Washington, DC, or even China. I admit this leaves me judgmental - there is no way that the meager proceeds of this innocent endeavor is going to underwrite anything but a tiny percentage of the kids' trip. Yes, the kids/these children do have to endeavor to raise some of the money to pay for their trip, so maybe it's good parental modeling, but these trips are a "want" and not a "need". IMHO, the parents should just pony up the cost of the trip. Or the kids work for 3 - 5 years (babysitting, mowing lawns, etc.) and pay for all or most of the trip themselves.

Admittedly, I am a bit of a curmudgeon on this topic...my parents were too impoverished to ever send me to any exotic place, summer camp, etc. But I later was able to spend 5 years of my life overseas as a volunteer. Those volunteer years were "wants" not "needs"...but I found those opportunities myself and they have enriched my life.

Just my thoughts, hopefully not didactic or preachy.

My brother in law had prostrate cancer for 8 years. His approach to dealing with it was all natural, no radiation or chemo. He made two expensive trips to Germany for alternative treatments over those years. Later on when his only last hope was another expensive trip back to Germany, a good friend of his started a "gofundme" and it raised $30,000. Unfortunately his health made it an unreachable goal and he passed away. The money was then mostly used for an incredible Celebration of Life event and dinner for over 250 of his friends and family. This is not a camino story, but in light of unforseen medical issues, I don't have a problem with supporting this type of need.

That said, my family has watched several utube video series of young couples who travel the world in large sailboats or catamarans and we discovered that they are fully supported by similar means; people giving donations...I personally would never help support such a luxury existence as that. Does that mean I should not watch the videos if I do not support their adventure? I don't really know.

When you were young and your heart
Was an open book
You used to say live and let live
(You know you did)

But in this ever changing world
In which we live in
Makes you give in and cry
Live and let die!

What did it matter to you
When you got a job to do you got to do it well
You gotta give the othe fella Hell

Worked in the sixties job of life now!

Whatever works as long as no scam involved.

Buen camino to all.

Go Fund me: Go!

Is walking a Camino route a "want" or a "need"? I would place it in the former category and would for that reason probably not contribute to one of the GFM appeals. Just me personally, others are free to assist as they see fit.

Admittedly, I am a bit of a curmudgeon on this topic...my parents were too impoverished to ever send me to any exotic place, summer camp, etc. But I later was able to spend 5 years of my life overseas as a volunteer. Those volunteer years were "wants" not "needs"...but I found those opportunities myself and they have enriched my life.
Walking the Camino is absolutely a want. Total agreement. Comical to think of it as anything else.
I was raised in the same environment. We did not have the funds for my siblings and myself to do take trips and such. I often wonder if some of those that say people are too hung up on money say it from the comfort of a trust fund or a trip paid for by parents. When I got old enough and wanted to see the world, I joined the military, and that opened my eyes to the world.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That said, my family has watched several utube video series of young couples who travel the world in large sailboats or catamarans and we discovered that they are fully supported by similar means; people giving donations...I personally would never help support such a luxury existence as that. Does that mean I should not watch the videos if I do not support their adventure? I don't really know.

The only time I skip such videos is if their YouTube channel has been monetized. Pop up commercials, insets for products, etc.

Once when walking over that crazy green metal bridge over the rail tracks before Astorga I encountered a young male pilgrim coming the other way, from Santiago. He was disheveled, quite animated and no doubt slept outside a few nights and he told me of his having to walk all the way back to Pamplona (I think) so he could get home (elsewhere in Europe) and if I could spare him some money so he could eat. I believe he told me a woman took all his money and such. I told him he should probably stop there in Astorga and find some means of getting funds and just taking a bus back to Pamplona as sure that would be cheaper than walking all the way, what with the cost of food, lodging etc and the hassle of asking strangers for money everyday for a couple of weeks. He looked confused when confronted with that logic, so I told him I would not give him money, but instead he could have the tin of sardines, small box of biscuits and the can of soda I had in my pack. My "trail food", which I did not need anyway as Astorga was close. He looked almost angry when offered that alternative and I said fine dude, whatever, see you, good luck. He looked surprised and then said okay, he'd take the food and I gave them to him and continued my walk.
What an odd encounter that was on the top of that crazy green bridge. Me and that fellow pilgrim going the other direction.

Now that I think is a great idea. If people believe this kind of thing, then they are happy to believe their sins are forgiven and spiritual obligations are met and I am happy to make the sacrifice of walking the Camino for them! Win, win.

Last edited:
@davebugg
I agree in general with your choice of selective charitable giving, but nonetheless I have given to other pilgrims along the camino routes when they have shared, or I have perceived, immediate financial needs. A sick pilgrim may need an arm to help her to a nearby albergue and some cash to help her pay her night's lodging and her journey on to Santiago. Another may need a roof over her head from the rain. In these two instances, neither requested my money and one even tried to refuse.

Quite right. I think many if not most of us have helped out a fellow Pilgrim in need.
That's part of the 'community' of the Camino I think.

This thread has reminded me how fortunate I am with the blessings I've received throughout my life. I recall eating beans out of a can so I could put diapers on my baby's butt. Then being homeless, sleeping in my car with my toddler daughter. Now a homeowner who's able to travel to far distant lands. Couldn't have done it without a little help from my friends and a lot of answered prayer. I see now that GoFundMe requests and contributions come in all shapes and sizes. ;) Like an answered prayer.

Then people will just boast about how strong their faith is.
Sharing one's Faith and sharing one's money can all be done without bragging. How fragile the human ego is. 😊

I've been given a lot of great ideas on where and how I can contribute in the future. There is a lot of good in this world.
Buen Camino to all who are setting out on their journey of a life time. God bless us all, everyone.
😊🙏💖

Last edited:
Then people will just boast about how strong their faith is.

Contemporary actions based on one's beliefs. :) How serendipitous to be discussing this on a Forum about the Camino where St. James is fundamental to its history :)

I absolutely agree with you, fellow David :)

The Book of James sorta echoed what Jesus said when Jesus stated, "By their fruits you will know them."
I would also think that included in this are those who boast in order to seek acclaim.

James: 1
15. Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16. If one of you tells him, “Go in peace; stay warm and well fed,” but does not provide for his physical needs, what good is that?

I am not very good at bible quote and bible-based proverb battles 😉 and I don't know how familiar you all are with this one which is very familiar to me due to the religious-cultural-linguistic environment I grew up in: Do not hide your light under a bushel. 😉Matthew 5:14–15, apparently.

I am not very good at bible quote and bible-based proverb battles 😉 and I don't know how familiar you all are with this one which is very familiar to me due to the religious-cultural-linguistic environment I grew up in: Do not hide your light under a bushel. 😉Matthew 5:14–15, apparently.
I suspect when that was written there was a definite risk of the bushel catching fire and making a much bigger light. :p

Not sure about recent campaigns, but the first one I was aware of was Ailsa Piper (an Australian actor and sometime author). She offered to "walk" people's sins across Spain in 2010, (her campaign based on the Seven Deadly Sins & a few of the Commandments). The result was her very successful book: Sinning Across Spain. She had previously walked the Frances and this time she walked the Via De La Plata (starting in Granada).

From my aspect if the "Go Fund Me" is a genuine campaign and you are willing for someone else to "walk away your sins" then go ahead and donate.

Ailsa Piper (an Australian actor and sometime author). She offered to "walk" people's sins across Spain in 2010, (her campaign based on the Seven Deadly Sins & a few of the Commandments). The result was her very successful book: Sinning Across Spain. She had previously walked the Frances and this time she walked the Via De La Plata (starting in Granada).
I have not read her book and don't know how well versed she is in medieval history. The book is marketed along the lines of "Her bestselling memoir Sinning Across Spain was inspired by the tradition of medieval walkers who were paid by others to carry their sins to holy places". This is a concept that appeals to contemporary readers. Medieval people would not understand this concept of carrying sins to holy places.

Also and btw, but I would have to look it up again to verify, many if not most of those who walked to Santiago or to another site to thank for help received or to obtain help from the saint and who walked on behalf of someone else and against renumeration, did so because of a will and a grant bequeathed to them because the testator had made a vow to go but did not manage to go himself or herself during their lifetime and was anxious about what would happen to them after death. A different world from today.

Last edited:
The knives came out. Posts have been deleted. Can I suggest once again that people limit their comments to the issue raised and refrain from making personal criticisms? If you think a thread is stupid, or if you think that the OP is demonstrating a character flaw by asking the question, you can easily solve your problem by ignoring the thread and going to one that you feel like contributing to in a positive manner.

[QUOTE="davebugg, post: 717101, member: 67185"
[/QUOTE]

Hi @davebugg,

I really like your super logical approach to giving, I must admit mine is far more scattergun- lifeboats because they rescued my dad when he was young, the blind as my mother lost her sight in old age etc. One thing you may want to consider though, which I was certainly ignorant of, or rather hadn't though about, is the headline "percentage of every dollar is used to fulfill their stated mission." is not in and of itself a measure of value.

A good friend of mine who has worked almost her entire life in the charity sector as well as running a charity of her own pointed out to me when I raised the question of how much of a donation goes directly to the cause that just as you spend time deciding where a dollar would be best used, charities must do the same and this requires some admin. To this end a charity may take a bigger percentage in admin costs but still deliver a bigger bang for your buck than those who are less judicious with their spending. Ugh, long sentence.

Anyway just a thought,

Rob.

Nope. It is the same as asking someone to pay for a vacation to the beach or groceries - only if someone is in need. I love the Camino experience but don't think it's in that category of importance. It's a blessing, but a want and a luxury, not a need.

More than 1 billion people living in poverty in this world and some fellow middle class 1st world person (capable of working) has the nerve to ask to give them money for an 'experience'. I am not advocating "survival of the fittest" but I am also not advocating the other extreme. We are so accustomed to expecting things and having things given to us. It's nice, but really?????

Did I cross a line and get political? Oooops! I've been asked to go-fund people twice for 'experiences'. I guess my response is now obvious.

Last edited:

There are so many other very necessary requests for money on Hound Me (wow, awesome auto correct! 😂) that I would skip over one asking for money for a camino. I can't imagine anyone would donate to one.

I’m also working extra hours. For me (but then I’m middle aged so I have a different concept of appreciation) the extra work days are part of the preparation internally ... I’m working for something which will make me appreciate the journey of the Camino that much more.

An acquaintance tried this as he wanted to take his entire Family including 3 children, youngest at 7 years. It did not work. There are folks out there that are open to helping but when I tried finding help that way to help cover my Mom's final expenses, and it was tough being put in a position where that was necessary, it did not really work. Out of the $5,000 request that covered cremation only (plus all ancillary fees), two friends donated a total of $100. I am still paying off the funeral home, 4 years later.

An acquaintance tried this as he wanted to take his entire Family including 3 children, youngest at 7 years. It did not work. There are folks out there that are open to helping but when I tried finding help that way to help cover my Mom's final expenses, and it was tough being put in a position where that was necessary, it did not really work. Out of the $5,000 request that covered cremation only (plus all ancillary fees), two friends donated a total of $100. I am still paying off the funeral home, 4 years later.
@MichelleElynHogan
You have my sympathy. I think that this is a particularly difficult position to be in. When a family member is dying, our first concern is always to take the very best care of her, or him, that is possible. This can be very expensive, but no one would want to skimp on doing anything that might make her mother more comfortable in her last days. And just when one is grieving a loss, there are the funeral expenses. I am considering joining a funeral society to help control these. I think that GoFundMe requests for help to pay medical costs may attract more sympathy, and perhaps response. But either way the money must be found by surviving family members. I hope that you will soon be free of this burden and able to return to walking caminos again. I know, from my own experience, that the loss of one's mother may leave a hole in one's heart that will never be healed. But when final arrangements are done and paid for it is easier to go on with life. God bless.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I find this totally unacceptable. Go Fund Me sites are intended to support people who are experiencing unforeseen situations and tragedies in their lives; NOT to finance activities.

I find this totally unacceptable. Go Fund Me sites are intended to support people who are experiencing unforeseen situations and tragedies in their lives; NOT to finance activities.
I do not think the site states any specific intent or purpose of its existence, does it? It is just a virtual internet bucket of sorts for people to throw money into for total strangers whatever their need/want.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
wearing my clerical collar

I gave walked with 3 priests over the decade and they deliberately avoid the clerical collar.
Two were from Germany and one from France,
We nearly died when Fr Peter did a reading at the mass in SDC
At lundh afterwards we asked him why ?
I was having a ball with ordinary people from around the world and many a comment /joke/ discussion would not have occurred if a Priest was in the group of that day
Thinking of some of the jokes ....he was right 🙄
One of the ordinary people was the sister of a French President which we only discovered in the last few days , she walked from Paris with a donkey raising money for CARE France [ 2007

Quite right. I think many if not most of us have helped out a fellow Pilgrim in need.
That's part of the 'community' of the Camino I think.

Well said , we get more out of giving than taking ,
But i find i give more [ food /$$ /help ] when not approached.
I love the pride of certain less fortunate people who never request

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back