• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Going at the end of March

mariuszm

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2012), Via la Plata (2017)
Hi,
I plan to walk Via la Plata at the end of March, will take some of the gear I had on Camino Frances few years ago, but would like to take a lighter sleeping bag this time.

1. Is a sleeping bag with comfort to 7C enough? I used it in Asia, and I'm bit worried it may not be enough.

2. Anyone knows iPhone app which tracks my route and allows to export later that data to the file or some common formats I can use later? I found TrackMyTour, but there you need to manually add the waypoints.

3. On Camino Frances I liked the fact that I could walk alone if I wanted to, but there were people around. Hopefully La Plata is not that solitary as I fear at this time of the year? I think I won't join Frances in Astorga, but go separate way. What's the situation there.

4. Anyone knows how long is the trip from Malaga airport to Sevilla by bus/train?

Thank you,
Mariusz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Falcon.

Anyone knows if the PDF guide which you can find here on the forum is enough to walk this route or better go for book version with maps?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How can you get a translation of the przewodnik PDF?

Hi,
I plan to walk Via la Plata at the end of March, will take some of the gear I had on Camino Frances few years ago, but would like to take a lighter sleeping bag this time.

1. Is a sleeping bag with comfort to 7C enough? I used it in Asia, and I'm bit worried it may not be enough.

2. Anyone knows iPhone app which tracks my route and allows to export later that data to the file or some common formats I can use later? I found TrackMyTour, but there you need to manually add the waypoints.

3. On Camino Frances I liked the fact that I could walk alone if I wanted to, but there were people around. Hopefully La Plata is not that solitary as I fear at this time of the year? I think I won't join Frances in Astorga, but go separate way. What's the situation there.

4. Anyone knows how long is the trip from Malaga airport to Sevilla by bus/train?

Thank you,
Mariusz

Hello Mariusz

I do the Via de la Plata for about 8 to 9 days each year. This coming May, I continue from La Calzada de Bejar. In terms of the train from Malaga to Seville, I did it by train several times and it is a comfortable and interesting journey. If you are at the airport, you will need to travel into Malaga Central first (about 20 minutes). The journey from Malaga Maria Zambrano station to Seville Santa Justa takes just under two hours on the Avant train and two and a half hours on the MD train. Go to the Renfe website for train details. http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

On the App, I know it depends on budget, but have you ever considered buying a hiking GPS device such as Garmin Dakota 20? You would get them on EBay or Amazon.

I think that the Via de la Plata is not as travelled as the Camino Frances. Perhaps 5% to 7% of the Camino Frances population on Via de la Plata. So, there will certainly be sections where you won't meet many pilgrims. I would have to be honest and say that there will be some sections of the Via de la Plata that are solitary. But you are never too far from the sounds of traffic, farm houses etc. You will enjoy it. It is not as touristy as other busy caminos.

I don't use a sleeping bag. But, even if the days are warm, the nights can be cool.

Buen Camino Mariusz. You will enjoy.
Dave

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mariusz.

I have walked in March and loved it. You may have many solitary days, but I always found plenty of company in the evenings. Often other pilgrims at the hostels, inns and restaurants, but also friendly locals who are happy to chat.

I just used the app MapMyHike on a hike I did in Florida, and that worked well. You can export files and all of that. I don't believe you need to manually add waypoints.

I used to have an app out there that was a VDLP guidebook, but the software people in charge shut down the company. However, before you leave a new website will be debuting calling Bindu Itineraries. I will have all of my VDLP app info on there in stages: the route, lodging, dining, attractions, etc. There will also be info on the Frances and, soon, the Norte: http://www.bindumedia.com/

Buen Camino!
Melanie

@mmm042 Thank you.

I have a choice of going 18th March, or 1st April. I would prefer less rain and more spring :), so is 1st April obviously better choice?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back