• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Going by horse from France to Santiago, how difficult is it?

stb001

Hi, I live in Spain on the Costa Blanca, and I wish to ride my horse from Le puy or Vezelay to Santiago. I'm wondering how far this is possible, and if it's asking to mutch to my horse. I plan to ride about 30 - 40km a day, and to camp each night, while my partner gets his rest.
My questions are about water, food, and place for the horse, knowing it's a full one. I'm used to travel with absolutly no confort, but I've never had to care of an animal during those trips, so I'm not worried for me only for the horse. The horse has no shoes, and is used to go long distance.
Has someone already done this?
Is it hard to find a wood, or a field where to camp each 30-40 km?
What trip would be the best to do?
How does it happen in Santiago with a horse, Am I alowed to reach the Cathedral with it?

Any experience interest me, and if someone wants to join me during the summer 2010-2011 (the year is not set yet) please let me know.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How does it happen in Santiago with a horse, Am I alowed to reach the Cathedral with it?
I don't think so, I seem to remember that you need to "park" (you can see i have not too much experience with horses) it somewhere before entering old town.

I had a quick search and found this:
http://www.elcaminoacaballo.com/

..seems like this is the guide you are looking for.

Please keep us updated on your adventure!

Greetings from sunny Santiago,
Ivar

http://www.csj.org.uk have “The Way of Saint James on horseback: the complete guide” Javier Pascual:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I rode a section of the Via de la Plata several years ago. It was a blast, but the logistics were a nightmare. (mare... geddit?)

We traveled with Jesus and Angel (for real) at Equigredos, a long-distance equestrian outfitter based out of the Parador de Gredos, near Avila. I can recommend them highly, but I don´t know if they do Camino Frances routes. They could at least advise you.

Reb.

Seems like traveling with Jesus and an Angel would have given you especially good luck, or at least an indulgence or three? :lol:

I met one person on my camino who was traveling with a donkey -- they had problems finding places to "park" the beastie along the way.

But it sounds like fun and a wonderful way to travel, if you know what you're doing!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, we saw a guy riding a horse on the Le Puy route. As I understood it he arrived at a place then asked around the locals (farmers presumably?) if there was field etc he could leave it in.
I saw two gites on the Le Puy route that advertised they took donkeys. Last year on the Frances we walked alongside two french guys with a donkey who we saw often along the route. I think they had more trouble finding somewhere to park him and he often ended up just tied up soemwhere near the albergue. They did have to walk further some days to find donkey-friendly albergues...
Good luck! It was magnificent watching the horse-riding pilgrim gallop past us on his big white horse through the fields in France! :)

Thank you all for your answers. I definitely gonna get some of the books recomended upstairs.
I wish I could do the trip next year because it's a "año santo" and that next one won't come before a lot of years, but I think I won't be ready at time.
I keep interested in any information, and of course I'll let you know about every thing.
I'll try to do a nice photo-reportage about this experience, to remember mutch of you some of the place you may have seen.

You are in for a treat if you pull it off. One thing that´s striking: I found many of the carvings and decorations on the fronts of buildings were designed to be viewed from atop a horse or a carriage. You get a much better sense of the proportions of squares, buildings, and public spaces when you show up on horseback, and if you keep your eyes open.

Maybe I´m imagining things, but I think it´s true. Just another little way the rich and powerful flattered one another, whilst the "little people" craned their necks down on the ground.

Reb.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back