• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Going Slower the Second Time Around

Susan Peacock

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/SJPP '15,'16,'18,'19,('20)
Way of St. Francis, Italy 2017
Portuguese/Finisterre 2018, 2019
I am planning my second Camino this spring and really want to slow it down by 4 or 5 days to see some things I missed on the first Camino (like Samos), but I know that it is likely I will lose track of my Camino friends as they will be traveling at a faster speed. Last time we ended in Santiago within a day or two of the pilgrims that started with us in SJPdP and it was glorious. I love my Camino family. Anyone have experience going slower than the crowd? Was there a whole other family going at a different pace?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am planning my second Camino this spring and really want to slow it down by 4 or 5 days to see some things I missed on the first Camino (like Samos), but I know that it is likely I will lose track of my Camino friends as they will be traveling at a faster speed. Last time we ended in Santiago within a day or two of the pilgrims that started with us in SJPdP and it was glorious. I love my Camino family. Anyone have experience going slower than the crowd? Was there a whole other family going at a different pace?

Oh yes! to both questions! Even though we really took our time - 44 days - on the Camino Francés - we found that we wove our Way in and out of those of our faster compañeros. We met up with them many times on their rest days (we took none), walked with them for a day or so again and then all caught up at the end in Santiago. In between times we emailed and texted each other which came in handy when they left stuff behind or getting recommendations for accommodation and restaurants etc.

And.. walking slower, you get to have a much, much larger Camino family :D

In my very humble opinion I always found the concept of a Camino family a very artificial one. Mostly you meet by accident and you feel a connection and then you start hanging out together. But you will meet other people all the time you feel connected with.
If you are to split up with each other, it is meant to be that way ( again very personal view ).
On my first Camino I met up with a lovely lady and we stayed together more or less for 17 days ( at albergues , never walking because we preferred walking alone ) and one day she wanted to take some rest for her knees and I went on. It just felt natural.
We did not consider changing our style or pace
We still are in contact on phone and " live " ( living relatively close by ) .

So you will be ok. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am the original Mr. Slow and hold the patent. Do go slow but read up on art, architecture and history to understand why ("The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" Gitlitz and Davidson will do perfectly)- admire family crests on the buildings, go into every church, chapel, or monestary you meet, rattle the doors on those which appear to be locked - someone may be around, know your wildflowers-Springtime is overwhelming, museums abound - the Nativity museum in Santa Clara at Carrion dl Condes is a jewel, the new History of Human Evolution in Burgos is overwhelming even just from the outside take the tour in San Isodoro in Leon, go off Camino whenever you get the chance - Brierley offers several good options, make a point NOT to stop in the same places/albergues from your first time around, lastly be brave and try something besides omlette/chorizo/lomo.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I did the same Susan.

In 2014 I walked from SJPP to Santiago in 29 days, then to Finisterre and Muxia in 5 days. I kept meeting some others all the way....

Last year I wanted to spend more time at some of the places along the road, so took 39 days from SJPP to Santiago then 10 days to Finisterre, Muxia and walking back to Santiago. It was a bit too slow for me but I kept meeting some of the same people.

This year I plan to take 33 days from SJPP to Santiago and then 9 days walking to Muxia, Finisterre and back to Santiago. An easy pace averaging 24kms/15 miles per day. I expect there will be others going at the same pace.

Buen Camino,

Mike

In my very humble opinion I always found the concept of a Camino family a very artificial one. Mostly you meet by accident and you feel a connection and then you start hanging out together. But you will meet other people all the time you feel connected with.!
I have to agree with Sabine. Why is it we feel that the first couple of people we bump into on the Camino are extraordinary and irreplaceble. Surely if those are the ones coming from behind are just as good. I only walked once with a particular trio, and it did making walking easier as it was company which distracted me from foot pain, but by spending so much time I may have passed on meeting several other people just as worthy of my high opinion :eek:.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I seem to have settled on around 25k a day as a comfortable norm. Generally leaving around 7:30 (one of, if not the last to leave) and stopping for the day around 6 hours later. Time to have a peek around on the way and time for a lunch time beer as well. Like mentioned above I enjoy stopping somewhere different to previous Caminos but also at a few places I like revisit as well. Mind you it gets more and more difficult to do that the more times you walk the same Camino!

Last edited:
In my very humble opinion I always found the concept of a Camino family a very artificial one. Mostly you meet by accident and you feel a connection and then you start hanging out together. But you will meet other people all the time you feel connected with.
If you are to split up with each other, it is meant to be that way ( again very personal view ).
On my first Camino I met up with a lovely lady and we stayed together more or less for 17 days ( at albergues , never walking because we preferred walking alone ) and one day she wanted to take some rest for her knees and I went on. It just felt natural.
We did not consider changing our style or pace
We still are in contact on phone and " live " ( living relatively close by ) .

So you will be ok. Enjoy!

I totally agree with you, and in my opinion camino families are great you get to an albergue or restaurant and you spot someone you know wow! now you don't feel like you are at a party without a date, but if don't walk your pace, stop where you want to eat what you want when you want etc etc are you really walking "your" camino? I think its great when you don't see your "family" for a while and then you reunite its I like wow! a long lost friend even though you just met, so walk your pace this is your chance to meet lots of "families" :) its like the old saying goes "How can I miss you if you don't leave" LOL

zzotte

As someone (@Anemone del Camino ?) said "Don't go looking for a camino family; go looking for yourself." It is very tempting to join a group. (Think teenage years!) If you want to go slower, then you do run risk of not seeing certain people again, but if you keep up with that group you run the risk of missing the fabulous people behind you. And you miss the opportunity for quality time just with yourself. You can't have it all and you will never know 'what if'! That is part of letting the experience unfold.

It sounds as if you became part of a group very early, last time, and stayed with them. That doesn't always happen and "families" are very fluid. As long as you avoid specific expectations, I'm sure you will enjoy the slower itinerary and will see friends in Santiago. :)

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It just felt natural.
The flow of the Camino is natural, maybe supernatural. Let it come and go as it will.
I walked SJPdP to Santiago in just over 20 days (40km/day) last July and ran into several people repeatedly and became friends with some I'm still in contact with.
Next time I will go slower and take in many more of the sights, delve into the history, and take more pictures. And, no doubt, meet more people and make more friends.

Buen Camino!

Slow and easy is my mantra after 5 Caminos. Like Al said, you can stop at some of your favorite places and explore new ones. You can even take side trips if you want. Even if you abandon a great group of friends, you will find a new group of friends and who know you may eventually run into old friends who took a rest day or two ahead of you. I have had good "families" and not so good "families" on my treks and learned not to expect to much.
When I worked as a hospitalero at San Anton last year, every night was an adventure in meeting and greeting a new family of friends.

ola Susan - and buen upcoming camino :)
reading your question/s - i wondered: what is she really after? really asking? what is this keen emphasis on 'family' about underneath the question?
we are all so very different - and we would answer those questions accordingly ... but truly:
which function does this 'family' hold for you? to shield from uninvited solitudes? to be a warrant of 'shelter' in case one gets sick/injured/lonesome or plain fed-up and want to chuck it all in? as a back-up plan in case one feels bored to tears? to help across stretches on the camino that are rather deserted and might pose an unease when traversing them alone? a buffer against various fears or other unacknowledged whatevers?
we all value different things at different degrees ... but it's well worth pondering, especially ahead of an camino, no?
would the camino be 'less than' if no magical feel-good family would appear with one feels great resonance and companionship? companionship, deep conversations, cameraderie, laughter - or tears - shared ... all this is so important, glorious and fun.
and they are gifts - and as we all hopefully know/realize: gifts can't be demanded, expected or calculated into the package .... gifts are gifts. a blessing in tangible or non-tangible form.
companions are gifts ...(i am talking about the ones one wants to be companion with) - but wouldn't we ask for trouble if we somehow (unconsciously) set us up expecting them as part of the camino package - and then be blazing mad or feel dejected because the 'universe' did not provide us with the goodies, aka our camino-family?
i don't know - just asking.
i am not advocating one over the other. but this entire topic is well worth contemplating, no?

on the portugues camino, i was walking alone approx 95% of the time. mainly by choice, but mostly because hardly pilgrims around between lisboa-porto. i somehow trusted that when i was to need to meet a particular person/s ... we'd cross path. and so it was. it was actually a beautiful experience.
in short: walk YOUR pace ....

wishing you the same - (a beautiful experience - however it might look for you) buen camino - C

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for all the responses. I would like to clarify a little what I mean by camino family. I rarely walked with any of them and certainly never changed my schedule to be with them. We would slinky along and it was wonderful when you happened upon them at a bar or albergue. For me, I loved the relationships that I built with my fellow pilgrims. My extended family grew as we walked and made new friends. I don't need them or rely on them; I enjoy them. My question was just simply, if I take 45 days would this be part of my Camino. It's just really not that deep and won't change the magic, it would just be different; which I expect and hope for.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just make sure you get the contact details of the people you meet so you can keep in touch. I keep in touch with some Camino buddies via Facebook but I wish I had grabbed some other emails etc even if just to pass on photos.

On my first camino, I met some people at Orrison and we were more or less together until the end. Not walking together really but usually ending up at the same towns and albergues. We especially stayed close for the last week or so and arrived in Santiago within minutes of each other. On my second camino, I went with the idea of spending more time alone and walking a bit more slowly. I met lots of people whose company I enjoyed but was never with anyone longer than three or four days, mostly because of their departure from the camino for various reasons. I didn't take days off on either camino but on the second time, I had several short days. I caught up to many that I'd met, because a lot of them take a day of rest in the cities. Both caminos were wonderful and unique, and special in different ways.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've now traveled the length of the Frances. I did it in two parts, walking the first part with Anniesantiago in 2012 and the second part with Sillydoll in 2015. (I very much enjoyed their company, btw, and I can recommend Anniewalkers and Amawalkers organized-but-no-frills walks without reservation!)

I walked with them because I'm not much of a risk taker. But!!! Having done all that I now know that I can walk the Frances alone, and that's exactly what I'll do when I retire in the fall of 2019.

I plan to walk very deliberately, taking a full six 6 weeks + to do the Frances one last time. I'll stay over in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Astorga, and explore them enthusiastically. I'll take time to inspect closely the many churches, big and small, that I pass by. I'll savor the Don Simon wine and the ensalata mixta and the caldo gallego. I'll smell the flowers, moo at the cows, throw a stone into the sea at Muxia.....

This is likely to preclude my forming a Camino "family", per se. But that's OK. It'll be the adventure of a lifetime! It'll be me, God, and the Camino sky -- and that will be family enough.

I started from St Jean with my day pack and Super Pro 1505 Pogo Stick and was about 1/2 mile into it when I realized I couldn't talk to the nice people because of the constant jarring . That's when Laurie woke me a said the faucet was dripping . Phew, that was a relief . My 70 yr old knees couldn't take that punishment and my grandson would never give up his pogo stick .

I am a very slow walker . When I went in 2014 90% of the Pilgrims passed me , I passed 8% and 2% traveled at the same speed as me . It's the 2% that will form a relevant Camino experience for me in regards to comraderey . I am not worried really , I am lucky to have some excellent life friends and I have no doubt I will meet some really nice folks that will enrich my experience . I look forward too "the moment" however it's presented

I walked my first Camino slowly -- like DeadFred I was passed a lot, and I took extra nights, took a side trip to Santo Domingo de Silos (highly recommended). In four weeks I walked Pamplona to Carrion de Los Condes, then bussed and trained to Santiago and walked out to Finisterre.

I had a wonderful Camino and I met some amazing people I still stay in touch with. I still saw a lot of familiar faces along the way, often in entirely unexpected places. I think you can trust that you'll meet who you need to meet.

When I went to my pilgrim mass in Santiago after skipping ahead I looked up and sitting there was the very first pilgrim I met on my very first day of walking, tears streaming down her face. It was Camino magic.

I plan to return and finish my Camino. But I have no regrets on taking it slowly and think my body and spirit both benefited from my choice. And I carry the people I met in me just the same.

Blessings for your next Camino.

Allison and I have made the decision to walk Camino again in 2017 (the anticipation is excellent!). Like you we intend to ignore "destination"...we've done that...and just walk. We will undoubtedly go slower - and I was wondering the same thing. "I wonder how it will be different - people-wise".

I'll never forget running into a young Korean girl. We met day one climbing from SJPP, one afternoon climbing to Astorga, and once waiting in line to receive our Compostella in Santiago. We met three times - for a total of a few hours -....we still keep up.

Another couple we met for three/four days in the last weeks. We celebrated with them in the birth of their first child last fall.

Another father and daughter we traveled with for a week. We've been invited to go skiing with them at their home in Italy - if we can ever get there in Winter.

My lesson in all of this - it isn't the length of time you spend together - but what you do with that time.

I think we will have a most excellent 2nd Camino...and a wonderful 2016 anticipating it!!!

I've now traveled the length of the Frances. I did it in two parts, walking the first part with Anniesantiago in 2012 and the second part with Sillydoll in 2015. (I very much enjoyed their company, btw, and I can recommend Anniewalkers and Amawalkers organized-but-no-frills walks without reservation!)

I walked with them because I'm not much of a risk taker. But!!! Having done all that I now know that I can walk the Frances alone, and that's exactly what I'll do when I retire in the fall of 2019.

I plan to walk very deliberately, taking a full six 6 weeks + to do the Frances one last time. I'll stay over in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Astorga, and explore them enthusiastically. I'll take time to inspect closely the many churches, big and small, that I pass by. I'll savor the Don Simon wine and the ensalata mixta and the caldo gallego. I'll smell the flowers, moo at the cows, throw a stone into the sea at Muxia.....

This is likely to preclude my forming a Camino "family", per se. But that's OK. It'll be the adventure of a lifetime! It'll be me, God, and the Camino sky -- and that will be family enough.
Love this! I am about to walk my first Camino in May/June this year - and THIS is how I plan to do it! Que sera, sera..

I walked with my 20 year old son last May/June from Pamplona to Santiago. And yes we were on a certain schedule because I needed to be back in the USA at a certain date and we wanted to reach Santiago. Also walking with a 20 year old made me walk more some days then I intended and/or was comfortable with.
Coming June I only have 2 weeks to "satisfy some Camino cravings". ( the year after I hope to walk the entire Camino )
So this year I'm going alone and will take it VERY slow. 15 KM (the first few days) to 25 KM max . I'm actually very excited about that. I'm starting in SJPP and will walk as far as I get towards Burgos and take the train to Madrid. Yes I know meeting a "Camino family" is fun but I'm sure one will always meet people , no matter what pace you walk. Ok maybe it will be different people every day...but that's exciting too. Like dowtycamino said
"it isn't the length of time you spend together - but what you do with that time.".
Enjoy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I injured both my knees fairly early on and traveled extremely slowly on the trail. Yes, at times you lose track with some pilgrims, but you also meet others that you otherwise wouldn't have. I ended up spending four days in Santiago, and each day pilgrims arrived that I was so happy to see. Go at your speed. It will be great.

I plan to start my Camino on the 1st of April and I will not rush it. It doesn't matter how fast or how slow others may walk I plan to enjoy it. Friends of mine did it last year and didn't give themselves enough time and regretted it.

I plan to start my Camino on the 1st of April and I will not rush it. It doesn't matter how fast or how slow others may walk I plan to enjoy it. Friends of mine did it last year and didn't give themselves enough time and regretted it.
I will be setting off on apr.1st also, and am not concerned about speed, I am concerned about soaking in all the beauty and culture and adventure, I am sure fellow pilgrims will be part of all that. I hope to see people I have met, to chat with and get updates on their adventure, but I don't know how it will be for me, where I want to go and see and eat and when, That is why I am going alone. As I have told many people who ask me why I wont go with anyone, my answer is "because I have many new friends I need to meet" Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hello! My cousins live in Frederickburg too! why make it your last? I plan on going till I can't! I love your attitude about making it 6 weeks if needed. I would love to have the time to do that on my first if I can. I love nature and animals, and simple things like checking out the parks, and taking pictures of all the old chapels, buildings, and even the balconies. I hope to go sooner than later. Buen Camino!

We spent 46 days on our second camino. [both to Muxia]
We spent 46 nights with a different group of people from the night before , usually in bars or cafes as were now using "private room" accommodation.
We saw sights and experienced villages others were rushing through with their "families"

*You will be in the company of 4000 people whilst on your camino , every nationality possible with every story possible, i love them all.

I don't think i would enjoy the same company day in day out ......both my wife and i love our own company ......we are normally a few 100 metres apart when walking.......we see different things and have different thoughts when walking.
I look at the pretty girls [ at 68 yrs i'm allowed this luxury] whilst she thinks of the grand kids .

We regard the 16km-18km a lovely distance.
Sometimes more and sometimes less especially at the start.

Enjoy the beautiful world thats out there ,
Buen Camino @ your leisure.

Last edited:
Last year I walked from SJ in 33 days, and feel I missed a lot. This year I'm starting in Leon, and walking about 1/2 the distance per day to Santiago - I plan to smell the roses, not just quickly photograph the poppies. Also, I've vowed not to stop at the first Albergue I come to in town - but to walk on thru, then decide. I saw some really interesting places, tightly shuttered, at 6AM!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year I walked from SJ in 33 days, and feel I missed a lot. This year I'm starting in Leon, and walking about 1/2 the distance per day to Santiago - I plan to smell the roses, not just quickly photograph the poppies. Also, I've vowed not to stop at the first Albergue I come to in town - but to walk on thru, then decide. I saw some really interesting places, tightly shuttered, at 6AM!

The pleasure of doing things your way , your pace

I will be setting off on apr.1st also, and am not concerned about speed, I am concerned about soaking in all the beauty and culture and adventure, I am sure fellow pilgrims will be part of all that. I hope to see people I have met, to chat with and get updates on their adventure, but I don't know how it will be for me, where I want to go and see and eat and when, That is why I am going alone. As I have told many people who ask me why I wont go with anyone, my answer is "because I have many new friends I need to meet" Buen Camino
That is exactly what I want to do, maybe I will see you there...Buen Camino

Hello Susan, great to see that you are returning again to walk the Camino! Try to spend some days alone on your own this Camino. Enjoy your faith and talk to the father as he will be talking to you much more this go around when your eyes and ears are not filled with the family/companions that you meet on the way.

I enjoyed being a part of your "Family" last year and found much comfort in your preparation and willingness to help others along the way. You were there for so many and always putting yourself second. Take the slow path and don't worry about a thing. After all, you are experienced now. Buen Camino my dear friend. Ed

PS This Camino will truly be different for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It may seem amazing but I am still in contact with my camino friends ten years later. Missing a day means a whole new set of friends. We missed a day and then walked two in one to catch them up.

I can only recommend you to walk your own pace. :)
Next year will be my first CF and one thing that I'm sure of is that I do it slowly and admire as much & many of nature, churches,...
I want to "enjoy" the beauty of the Camino, not to rush to Santiago.
You never know it will be your last.:rolleyes:
The people that pass "my way" will be all treated equal…like friends.
Perhaps some will be "more" friend than others on the way, but that will be the Camino’s "way" to decide ;)
I intend to stop at Orisson as a first stop and have a look around:D
I have the luxury of having the time, starting the first month of my retirement.
I know that others are not so fortunate.
I you have the time, enjoy the beauty.;)

Hi Susan - your post caught my eye as I would like to walk the Camino again one day.I walked SJPP to Finisterre in 2012 over 42 days with a few days off here and there.I generally walked on my own and went to places I thought were of interest (Eunate,Samos,Granon,etc) at my own pace (from 12kms to 30+ kms).Doing your own thing means people will come and go a bit but that's the price of walking your own Camino.There were times I found myself alone and they were a wonderful balance to the times when I was with distinct groups.Overall I would have walked with 3 groups of people during the first,middle and last part of the Camino with Finisterre being a complete separation from the Frances.These groups of Camino friends just seemed to happen - both forming and dissolving spontaneously - although I enjoyed them tremendously I didn't feel I should hold to their pace or route.I believe this is why I actually got to enjoy the company of three distinctly different groups of great people and experience a unique Camino -my own.Buen Camino Susan.

We would slinky along

I will insert [slinky] into my poor attempts at answering that eternal question ...

I was fascinated by 'slinky' I just had to look it up. Google search gives two meanings:
1) a garment fitting closely to the lines of the body
2) graceful and sinuous or seductive movement

And done slowly as well.

What next on the way???!!!

I was fascinated by 'slinky' I just had to look it up. Google search gives two meanings:
1) a garment fitting closely to the lines of the body
2) graceful and sinuous or seductive movement

And done slowly as well.

What next on the way???!!!

It's also one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slinky - I'm just picturing a bunch of pilgrims "Slinkying" along the Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I walked very slowly last year, starting in St Jean. My own fault. Caused by injury in training. But I actually liked the slower pace. I took 40 days. Should have been 41, but I had to jump forward a day as I was going too slow to catch flights etc.

I formed a bit of a Camino family in the first couple of days. Seeing them off and on for the first 2 weeks. Though I was not staying in Albergues, so was not 'living' with them.

Then as they pulled ahead of me I met other people. And as they pulled ahead met others still.

I probably formed 3 loose Camino families along the way. Plus other individuals whom I met off and on.

It was nice..... I got spend time with lots of great people. As as one family pulled ahead, I would make a point to engage with new people I met. Once or twice I was even 'torn' as to which family I should join for dinner, as they overlapped a bit :)

So the short answer is. Don't worry about it. Some of the warmest and closest relationships I enjoyed were people I met during short periods of maybe just 4-5 days....

At one stage I was 'between' families and felt a bit lonely. I made a video commentary about that on my blog. The day I left Terradillos I think.

But guess what. By the end of the day I had met up with old friends......and new.

Here's what a Slinky looks like in action

Back