• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Going to Santiago through Ourense (VDP) or Sarria (Frances)?

gguerini

Hello fellow pilgrims, next week I'm going to start my Camino for the first time and I still have some doubts, so I hope you can help me.

I have only 5 days to do the Camino so there isn't many possibilities for me. Due to this fact, I was going to start in Sarria and walk to Santiago.

The problem is the more I read about this route the more I get discouraged. People say it's the more crowded part of the Camino, possibly the less interesting and I'll definitely need to fight for a bed at the albergues.

Because of that, I started to look for an alternative way and I found another route through Via de la Plata. I would start in Ourense (105km more or less) instead of Sarria. They said it is less crowded, more beautiful and interesting than Sarria.

The plan would be:
Ourense - Cea = 22.5km
Cea - Castro Dozón = 19.3km
Castro Dozón - Silleda = 27.4km
Silleda - Ouestero = 23.8km
Ouesteiro - Santiago = 16km

The distance is pretty much the same comparing to Sarria to Santiago. I don't really now. I still need to decide what to do and my time is running out.

What do you think guys? Have you done this way instead of from Sarria?

Thank you all very much!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi!

I have walked both routes. I think the Ourense - Santiago route is an excellent choice. This is a lovely part of the camino, and although it won't be solitary as in previous years, it will likely be less crowded than the Sarria-Santiago route. | liked it a lot. Go for it!

Have a grand walk!

lynne

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I vouch for Ourense as well.
Definitely the better of the two routes.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I definitely agree that the Via de la Plata route is stunning, probably more so than my experience on the Route Frances which was BUSY BUSY last week (i wish I'd made time to go to the monastery in Samos, but was a bit panicked about not having somewhere to stay that night.... next time I'll take the chance). The arrows might be a little harder to spot on the Plata route, but there are lots of friendly locals and other peregrinos to search with! We were never stuck for a bed either, be it alberque publique or prive. The tough hills and moments of 'what am i doing here?' are all so worth it and when you reach the cathedral and you're met by beautiful Galician music, a real buzz.... and then your real camino begins!
I wish you a Buen Camino whichever you choose!! :arrow: :D

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm really leaning towards to go through the VDP route instead of the Frances and I might decide tomorrow what I am doing..

I still have few question and I hope you can help me once again.

Since I'm flying to Santiago I need to take a bus back to Ourense. Is it possible? Which bus company do you suggest?

Due the high elevation in this route, is it really necessary a stick? I don't know how are the airlines policies about that so this is why I was thinking to not buy them, but if they are essential I need to change my mind. What do you think?

And last question. :) If they albergues are full, is it safe to sleep out with my sleeping bag?

Thanks again guys!!!

Super excited for next week!!!!

Gui

Hey again!

One company that goes from Santiago bus station to Ourense is Monbus, check out the timetable /horarios at: http://www.monbus.es/index2.htm

I would recommend either bringing your stick with you, or you can easily pick one up in Santiago. Some parts of the walk were very muddy and steep (for me) and I wished I'd bought one when starting.
I didn't sleep out, maybe someone else can help you with that question, visualise that the bed is there waiting for you....and hopefully it will be!!

Buen camino!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back