• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good Camino for walking over Christmas?

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about walking the Camino from 23rd December to 2nd January, and would like advice on a good track which will have albergues open, not be too isolated (if shops etc shut around Christmas/New Year), and not too cold, wet or snowy!

I love walking in winter, and have done sections of the Camino de Frances in the past, and would probably enjoy doing it again.

I have a longing to do the Camino Madrid, which may be a bit warmer to start from, does anyone know if that would be very isolated and lacking infrastructure at that time of the year? Alternatively the Plata starting in Seville. Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Pierre Julian I think @jsalt's suggestion is good. I loved that part of the Norte. Most people miss it - they take the Primitivo (definitely not recommended at this time of the year) but the walk from Ribadeo south to Arzua is beautiful - soft Galician paths.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think I would leave the Camino Madrid for a warmer time of year. Although it is further south, the altitude (687 meters) means that winter weather can be cold and the short term forecast is calling for freezing rain and snow showers. Not much fun or particularly advisable to be out trudging alone in that kind of weather. A coastal route, or the VdP seems a better choice to me.
Enjoy your planning and Buen Camino!

Ribadeo to Santiago on the Norte? All the albergues de peregrinos in Galicia are open all year round.
Jill
Thanks for that idea, I thinking about it now!

I think I would leave the Camino Madrid for a warmer time of year. Although it is further south, the altitude (687 meters) means that winter weather can be cold and the short term forecast is calling for freezing rain and snow showers. Not much fun or particularly advisable to be out trudging alone in that kind of weather. A coastal route, or the VdP seems a better choice to me.
Enjoy your planning and Buen Camino!
Okay, that makes a lot of sense, thanks. I was imagining that the further south the warmer it would be, I forgot about the altitude. Have you walked the VdP in winter? Do you think starting in Seville would be warmer?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Pierre Julian I think @jsalt's suggestion is good. I loved that part of the Norte. Most people miss it - they take the Primitivo (definitely not recommended at this time of the year) but the walk from Ribadeo south to Arzua is beautiful - soft Galician paths.
Thanks Kanga, that all makes a lot of sense. I just wish I was enthusiastic about Galicia as everyone else, I just think crowds and rain! But partly it's because I love the dry and less-green areas of Spain. I've walked the Norte as far as Villaviciosa. I've heard that after there it becomes quite urban (I don't mind that too much), what is the section after Aviles like?

Not urban at all between Ribadeo and Arzua, it is all countryside interspersed with a few interesting villages and quite solitary. I'll post something more tomorrow on the section after Aviles (late here) - l have to check my photos to remind myself!

Okay, that makes a lot of sense, thanks. I was imagining that the further south the warmer it would be, I forgot about the altitude. Have you walked the VdP in winter? Do you think starting in Seville would be warmer?

No, I haven’t walked the VdP but after looking at these statistics for December 2016 and January 2017 for Seville I think it would be a very good option for the Christmas period, especially if you are not walking too far north. It looks like fantastic walking weather, cool starts in the mornings and warm afternoons.
Try selecting other cities along your route to give you a better idea of past weather patterns for the time of year you are interested in as higher elevations and distance from the coast will likely mean cooler temperatures.
What’s not to like?

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Probably Vía de la Plata would be a good choice although expect it to be extremely quiet. I've done the Plata twice, parts (Sevilla-Mérida) three times but only once in the winter. In February we were 5 leaving from Sevilla and had some showers but no freezing temp up to Salamanca. My daughter walked Sevilla-Fuente de Cantos two years ago during the first week of January and she saw no one along the way and slept alone in all the albergues.

I'll be braving the cold on the Francés around the same period, leaving from either Pamplona or Burgos on December 27th.

Buen Camino!

Probably Vía de la Plata would be a good choice although expect it to be extremely quiet. I've done the Plata twice, parts (Sevilla-Mérida) three times but only once in the winter. In February we were 5 leaving from Sevilla and had some showers but no freezing temp up to Salamanca. My daughter walked Sevilla-Fuente de Cantos two years ago during the first week of January and she saw no one along the way and slept alone in all the albergues.

I'll be braving the cold on the Francés around the same period, leaving from either Pamplona or Burgos on December 27th.

Buen Camino!
Thanks

Buen Camino!
Thanks I need to consider that option what was the weather like? On that Camino? I have walked from Pamplona in the winter once and it was wonderful. A mixture of weather. And also I have walked from León in winter which was quite cold but very enjoyable also

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What about part of the Mozárabe from Malaga or Almeria? I am doing a little bit myself from 4th Dec just to Granada.
Thanks what would the weather be like on that camino? I haven't really explored are there some good guide books? Would alberges to be open at time of the year?

Thanks

Thanks I need to consider that option what was the weather like? On that Camino? I have walked from Pamplona in the winter once and it was wonderful. A mixture of weather. And also I have walked from León in winter which was quite cold but very enjoyable also

Weather was not cold. If I remember correctly a long-sleeve thermal and thin jacket was enough. She did have one day of solid rain but pretty sunny after that.

Hello Pierre Julian,

Walking the Via de la Plata in winter has its challenges. Weather conditions can be rather fierce. After arriving in SdC Dec, 2009 I wintered over in a small pueblo near Salamanca. This is what I experienced:

7 April, 2010 Three months later...
... I am still sporting peregrina garb as I sleep beneath a stack of blankets, clinging to the comfort of a below-zero duck-down sleeping bag. It is fiercely cold at nights and in the mornings there are frosts and sometimes ice, but finally Spring has come and there is a little heat in the afternoon sun.

How the peregrinos have suffered this Winter. From December ´til late March every peregrino seeking shelter arrived exhausted with tales of trecherous conditions: chest-high rivers outside of Seville; coping in freezing fogs with knee-deep snow and ice; incessant rain and relentless mud; the horrors of dead and dying cattle floating in lakes of water.

One peregrina slipped and broke her finger and others, we heard, turned back and flew home. One peregrino set out from Seville only to end Day One with torn ligaments. Rather than give up he purchased a donkey and weeks later hobbled into Fuenterroble where he stayed a while, regaling us with funny stories. He is probably still out there somewhere prodding and shoving his stubborn mule making only 10 kms per day....

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-in-winter.7253/ (scroll down a little)

40013_420780128924_8079842_n.jpg
VdlP December, 2009

Happy planning!
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks what would the weather be like on that camino? I haven't really explored are there some good guide books? Would alberges to be open at time of the year?
Don't know myself but Malaga or Almeria in December could be okay I believe. I know all albergues are open . The website www.almeriajacobea.es
is an amazing resource for this Camino.

Hell Kanga, I’m starting to consider a short Xmas Camino so am anxiously awaiting the info you mention posting in your reply re Xmas Camino. My plan is to walk El Norte in March but find myself looking for something special to do at Xmas vs the commercial regulas Xmas. Please advise re gear, potential weather, albergues and any noteworthy tips. As always I appreciate your experience.

Not urban at all between Ribadeo and Arzua, it is all countryside interspersed with a few interesting villages and quite solitary. I'll post something more tomorrow on the section after Aviles (late here) - l have to check my photos to remind myself!

@Colette Zaharie I can't help with information for a winter camino on the Norte - I've only done it in spring/summer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So sorry about the dog Colette. Hope she/he recovers and soon has a happily wagging tail.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks everyone for the ideas and messages.
I've decided to walk the Via de la Plata. Way too expensive to get flights over Christmas, which is a shame as I was longing to be on the Camino and forget about the whole Christmas season. BUT, I have found cheap fares, so walking from 11th of January. Can't wait. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and messages.
I've decided to walk the Via de la Plata. Way too expensive to get flights over Christmas, which is a shame as I was longing to be on the Camino and forget about the whole Christmas season. BUT, I have found cheap fares, so walking from 11th of January. Can't wait. Any advice gratefully received.
Go well, Pierre
....and have an excellent Chritmas wherever you may be...

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back