• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good, cheaper places to spend a few days before starting in SJPP?

skotzko

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2022: Frances + Primitivo
I may need to delay my start in order to finish my grad school coursework. My goal was to have it all done and out of the way so I could just be on the Camino and not have to think about it or feel the need to study while on the trip.

Is there a good, inexpensive place near SJPP to spend a few days finishing up before I head to SJPP and begin? (Assuming SJPP itself isn't a fit for this.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I may need to delay my start in order to finish my grad school coursework. My goal was to have it all done and out of the way so I could just be on the Camino and not have to think about it or feel the need to study while on the trip.

Is there a good, inexpensive place near SJPP to spend a few days finishing up before I head to SJPP and begin? (Assuming SJPP itself isn't a fit for this.)

What is the pricerange you are thinking of? What is inexpensive for you?

What is the pricerange you are thinking of? What is inexpensive for you?
Fair question. I don't have a set amount, but generally thinking lodging under €20-30/night would be ideal.Ideally for a private or small shred room, since I'd like quiet and space to put my head down and finish coursework.

Right now I'm in Paris seeing some friends and finishing up the work, but this is a very expensive (and distracting) place. So my frame of reference is skewed high.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fair question. I don't have a set amount, but generally thinking lodging under €20-30/night would be ideal.Ideally for a private or small shred room, since I'd like quiet and space to put my head down and finish coursework.

Right now I'm in Paris seeing some friends and finishing up the work, but this is a very expensive (and distracting) place. So my frame of reference is skewed high.
I hope someone comes in to give you advice seeing I never started in France for a Camino.
In general prices for lodgings in France are more expensive than in Spain though.

Or you could walk to Pamplona and take some days off there for studying? More choice in cheaper accomodation there.

Happy planning!

I hope someone comes in to give you advice seeing I never started in France for a Camino.
In general prices for lodgings in France are more expensive than in Spain though.

Or you could walk to Pamplona and take some days off there for studying? More choice in cheaper accomodation there.

Happy planning!
Thanks for that idea. I had been trying to get it done before because it seemed like it would be disruptive to the experience to stop and study a few days, no? Or is that not the case in peoples experience. I've been assuming that other than occasional rest days, that I would want to keep going and that there is a sense of momentum to be maintained.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for that idea. I had been trying to get it done before because it seemed like it would be disruptive to the experience to stop and study a few days, no? Or is that not the case in peoples experience. I've been assuming that other than occasional rest days, that I would want to keep going and that there is a sense of momentum to be maintained.

That is indeed very personal. I am not someone who needs to keep going for a sense of momentum or a need " to keep up with a Camino family " but that can be different for some of us.

From a practical view : prices are cheaper in Spain.
This pension in Pamplona lies in your pricerange.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why not try Paris ;)?

University rooms will be becoming available, if not already. Cheap(er) digs such as Generator, Paris. Or Poitiers or Tours or Bordeaux though the last one may have "distractions".

What about an Airbnb in Paris or prehaps Bayonne ? Couchsurfing is another alternative. How much time do you need to finish?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Everywhere in Spain. 😉

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back