• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good deal on a lightweight down jacket for women

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just got this super lightweight down jacket from Uniqlo. It was only US$29.99 on sale. I bought the large size so that I can layer it.
It only weighs 6.4 ounces/181 grams, and packs down into a very small stuff sack.

View attachment 93346View attachment 93347
Yours looks like a good option, @trecile.
I took a very lightweight down jacket on one of my caminos in 2017. Very lightweight, compressible, and never wrinkled when stuffed away...it was great and from K-Mart(believe it or not) 😃for about $30 on sale. I was very careful to not get it wet...the only reason I usually prefer synthetic on the Camino. I still wear it occasionally locally on chilly days.

I just got this super lightweight down jacket from Uniqlo. It was only US$29.99 on sale. I bought the large size so that I can layer it.
It only weighs 6.4 ounces/181 grams, and packs down into a very small stuff sack.
It is a favourite of ultralight backpackers on a budget. Other featherweight down puffy jackets can run hundreds of dollars (eg. Mountain Hardware's Ghost Whisper jacket). Uniqlo also makes the jacket in men's sizes.

A great buy for chilly Camino nights!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What kind of fill does it have? Didn’t see any indication on the add on the fill power. When purchasing a down jacket one wants a rating of at least 550-600 for cold weather (30s F.) For me, to bring a down jacket, it would need to be the major heating system. As @Camino Chrissy suggests down can be problematic in wet weather. So from my perspective it may not be the best choice in colder, and often wet weather for Caminos. But certainly, for the price, this jacket might work fine for more casual needs.

Last edited:
Those jackets are great and they don't need the same careful handling/laundering as the 'premium' ones. I I use mine as an extra layer in the evenings/early mornings and under a light rain jacket. I'd never bring a fancy expensive one on a Camino.

My best Uniqlo bargain was this hoodie a couple of years ago- it was reduced to UK £4.90 in some colours, so I bought two of them. A really good piece of Camino kit - very light and packable, but still warm enough on my Spring and Autumn Caminos.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My best Uniqlo bargain was this hoodie a couple of years ago- it was reduced to UK £4.90 in some colours, so I bought two of them. A really good piece of Camino kit - very light and packable, but still warm enough on my Spring and Autumn Caminos.
I've got a couple of those hoodies, and have brought them on the Camino too. On my first Camino I used it along with a Uniqlo merino wool sweater. Those two layers, along with my rain gear were perfect for my August/September Camino.

View attachment 93346View attachment 93347
Not to interject from a male perspective who comes from having zero knowledge of women's camino clothes or this jacket. When I walked in November and December I bought a great down jacket from REI. It cost $80US dollars, incredibly lightweight. When I wasn't wearing it I hung it from the back of my pack. It was rain resistant but I can't say how much as I always put on my Pancho when it started to rain. It was great against the wind as we had pretty intense winds much of the Camino. It kept me warm in high winds and temperatures about freezing. I also wore a medium layer top. When I warmed up and the temperature warmed up I could walk in the top and take the jacket off. The only downside to it was it didn't have a string to tighten the hood but that was not a real problem at all. For the price and what you get it was a great deal I thought. For a fall camino it is probably not needed unless you are from a hot weather location and like my wife and others I know start thinking they have frostbite at about 50F.
The jacket is discontinued. But this jacket looks like a carbon copy of the one I bought based on the look and description. I am sure there is a women's coat that is similar.
REI Co-op650 Down Hoodie 2.0 - Men's$82.93 Compared to$119.00You save 30%(62)62 reviews with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took a similar jacket from Uniqlo - mine has a stand up collar. It was fine. I walk Sept/ Oct so barely wore it but it worked as a pillow on the airplane. Handwashed it when I go home - as good as new.

I took a similar jacket from Uniqlo - mine has a stand up collar. It was fine. I walk Sept/ Oct so barely wore it but it worked as a pillow on the airplane. Handwashed it when I got home - as good as new.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have the same jacket. It does exactly what you'd expect from a lightweight jacket of that kind of fill power - it's not going to be as warm as some of the high end jackets, but it'll do the job as long as you're not in extreme conditions (with suitable layering, obviously).
Also I love Steep & Cheap or Moosejaw for outdoor brands on a budget

Last edited:
I've been using this jacket on walks so thought that I'd report back on it. We haven't been having really cold weather here, but it's probably about as cold as anything that I would experience on a Spring through Autumn Camino - the coldest day that I wore it the temperature was around 35F/2C, but usually it's been between 40F/4C - 48F/9C. I wear it over a long sleeve merino T shirt, and if it's rainy it fits comfortably under my raincoat. At these temperatures it's perfect. If it's sunny and I'm walking uphill I often have to take it off and just wear the merino shirt.

For those in Canada: LOLË brand makes a packable jacket called the "Emeline" --- I have a few versions; some use a synthetic fill that I like for damp weather, and some models use a down fill that they rate as >700. Over a merino base layer and a sweater, I have walked in these to roughly -14C.
The weight is about 90 grams!!! So: ultralight, and I get mine on sale when they hit between $60 and $85 CAD.
I own't link because you can google, and because you might easily find one on a discount site like SAIL, Last Hunt, Atmosphere etc.

Side note: Decathlon has arrived in Canada and I've ordered several merino pullovers from them for myself and other family members. Soft, durable enough so far, and the fit is nice: fitted but not squishy... and no synthetic fibres in them. Roughly $65 CAD.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow! That is super light, and a 60-85 CAD is a great price for something so light.
Yeah -- regular price can be up to about $180 for these jackets, but I can't pay that. There's a big price variation on the down versions vs. the synthetic fill.... like I said: I like both, and I always buy on deep discount so: last year's colours or features...
But they always have 2 zip outer pockets, 2 interior open pockets, elasticized cuffs, and a hood.

Right now Last Hunt has only the reversible version with the synthetic fill -- and the reversibles are always more expensive. I don't buy those ones... but it's a *sample* https://www.thelasthunt.com/products/lole-emeline-reversible-jacket-womens-llll-loe-luw0665

And this is the one I was able to buy about 4 weeks ago from a different site (Atmosphere I think) for $89. https://www.sail.ca/fr/lole-manteau-emeline-pour-femme-969045 -- with the down fill.

Honestly, I'm a little doubtful that the stated weight of 90 grams is accurate. I just don't see how it's possible, especially with a hood.
Screenshot_20210305-150807_Firefox.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Many well-known brands have got this covered, but please make some basic enquiries as to the ethical standard of down supply to your chosen manufacturer. Sadly, animal welfare has a cost and it’s difficult to believe that the very low prices which one sometimes sees are from supply chains where the treatment of the birds from whom the down is sourced would be uppermost in their minds.

To be clear: I eat meat and wear clothing and footwear derived from animals. I try to choose sources which can assure me that the animals concerned are not knowingly abused before they are killed.

It is a favourite of ultralight backpackers on a budget. Other featherweight down puffy jackets can run hundreds of dollars (eg. Mountain Hardware's Ghost Whisper jacket). Uniqlo also makes the jacket in men's sizes.

A great buy for chilly Camino nights!

Hi Sara! Hope you are well in these strange times!

Honestly, I'm a little doubtful that the stated weight of 90 grams is accurate. I just don't see how it's possible, especially with a hood.
View attachment 94795
Agreed! So I went and got my scales... my XS came in at 200 g, and my S came in at 310... and now I wonder if it's a grams per square X that it stated in some fine print on the site somewhere.
All that said, as I'm not an ultra-light person, and because I like the company's commitment to recycling materials, and because it's Canadian and we don't have a *lot* of Canadian clothing companies anymore...
I was really happy with the performance of my down Emeline jack ton the CP in Nov. 2019.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Agreed! So I went and got my scales... my XS came in at 200 g, and my S came in at 310... and now I wonder if it's a grams per square X that it stated in some fine print on the site somewhere.
200 g is still very lightweight, especially for the price. I woukd be very happy with that. 😊

Trecile did you buy this stuff here in US or overseas?
I bought mine online in the US. However, since it's a seasonal item, they are very limited in stock and sizes right now. They will probably bring it back in the fall, but not at clearance price. However the regular price isn't bad for something so lightweight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought mine online in the US. However, since it's a seasonal item, they are very limited in stock and sizes right now. They will probably bring it back in the fall, but not at clearance price. However the regular price isn't bad for something so lightweight.
Thank you so much.

I don't bring hoodies on the Camino as for me they get in the way of my backpack when the hood is not needed. I prefer a beanie style cap for those times in coldish mornings when I need my head or ears covered in the spring.

I don't bring hoodies on the Camino as for me they get in the way of my backpack when the hood is not needed. I prefer a beanie style cap for those times in coldish mornings when I need my head or ears covered in the spring.
I like this idea! Coincidently i got a fleece here (Rei store)from mammut on sale, seemed lightweight, i have never heard of this brand and doesn't have a hoodie.
You guys are pros! Now i am wondering lol if it is good as far as weight as i dont have the experience to know if other ones are much lighter. I paid around $60 for it. It is called Mammut Pischa ML Jacket women. Still have the tag on. It seems to me very light but who knows!
I got it a bit bigger to put something else under as i am always easily cold. But i will stay there in the portugues only for the month of september.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like this idea! Coincidently i got a fleece here (Rei store)from mammut on sale, seemed lightweight, i have never heard of this brand and doesn't have a hoodie.
You guys are pros! Now i am wondering lol if it is good as far as weight as i dont have the experience to know if other ones are much lighter. I paid $60 for it. It is called Mammut Pischa ML Jacket women. Still have the tag on. It seems to me very light but who knows!

I got it a bit bigger to put something else under as i am always easily cold. But i will stay there in the portugues only for the month of september.
I always bring a thin fleece 1/4 zip and use it often (including on cold nights in my bunk when blankets are not provided). My outerwear(non-hoodie) is often used over it on cold spring mornings occasionally during the first half of my spring caminos...layering options.

I always bring a thin fleece 1/4 zip and use it often (including on cold nights in my bunk when blankets are not provided). My outerwear(non-hoodie) is often used over it on cold spring mornings occasionally during the first half of my spring caminos...layering options.
Why no full zipper? My backpack is already heavy im cutting stuff. I am planning to get a better clue of the difference of weight of this stuff. Holding them, no way i can tell. I might get a letter scale to weight them. What kind of beanie you prefer?

Why no full zipper? My backpack is already heavy im cutting stuff. I am planning to get a better clue of the difference of weight of this stuff. Holding them, no way i cant tell. I might get a letter scale to weight them. What kind of beanie you prefer?
Whatever I choose to wear as my outer wear layer always has a full zipper. The fleece I use is a quarter zip weighs less than a full zippered fleece and is my mid-laye. Full zips are usually intended as outer wear and are usually made to be made of a heavier thicker weight fleece.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why no full zipper? My backpack is already heavy im cutting stuff. I am planning to get a better clue of the difference of weight of this stuff. Holding them, no way i can tell. I might get a letter scale to weight them. What kind of beanie you prefer?
Personally, I don't understand 1/4 and 1/2 zip outer garments. I want a full zip that's easy to put on and take off. I don't think that the extra weight of half of a zipper makes that much difference!
According to this old listing on Amazon, your Mammut jacket weighs 9.3 ounces/265 grams. Which is fairly lightweight. Remember, you can always buy a jacket in Spain if you need something different.

Personally, I don't understand 1/4 and 1/2 zip outer garments. I want a full zip that's easy to put on and take off. I don't think that the extra weight of half of a zipper makes that much difference!
According to this old listing on Amazon, your Mammut jacket weighs 9.3 ounces/265 grams. Which is fairly lightweight. Remember, you can always buy a jacket in Spain if you need something different.
My 1/4 zip are always used as my mid layer, not an outer garment. I use a full zip for my outer layer, which is a puffy poly or down jacket. I walk in spring, not summer and def need a more layering system.

I am planning to get a better clue of the difference of weight of this stuff. Holding them, no way i can tell. I might get a letter scale to weight them.
I have a kitchen scale that I use to weigh everything that might go on camino with me. I have also made a spreadsheet listing all that gear and what it weighs. I find it helps me sort through what I take. I have a column for the weight of items that go in the bag (including the bag itself) and a column for the weight of items that are on my body, with a third column of the total combined weights. (Yes, I have too much time on my hands.)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a brand in Europe called "Trespass" and I Picked up one of their fleece hoodies in Astorga at the Huracán shop there. It's specifically cut for a woman with a sort of empire bust, roomy pockets and a full zipper. It weighs very little, has 4-way stretch, and it has "thumbies" for keeping one's hands wrapped when chilly.
I think I paid 25 euros for it. I love it *so much* that I found one online and bought it as a back-up. I keep the old one -- which is 7 years old now and has many thousands of km on the hand-wraps that are almost smooth, a few spark holes from campfires, and the permanent tinge of red dust from the meseta in the fabric -- at my shack in the woods, and the new one I wear at home when I want to be able to go on a hike starting in the chilly morning and stopping at a patio for a coffee on the way home, not looking like a ragamuffin.
I've never had such a combination of comfort, durability, and stretch in a fleece, and generally I don't wear fleece for that reason. But if you're picky as I am, and also don't want to spend a fortune, I recommend you look up Trespass brand.

I found a link to the jacket on the UK site (but I did not pay even as much as the sale price for it): https://www.trespass.com/row/sunnyside-womens-fleece#color_code=Bermuda

In fact, Amazon.ca has it for $33 CAD: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B072K7KP86/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.