• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good Friday

stevetay3815

Time of past OR future Camino
Paris/Bordeaux
Does anyone know if the pilgrim office in St. Jean Pied de Port will be open on April 6 (Good Friday)? Will things be closed on Good Friday, Saturday and Easter?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is open every day of the year as John has said.
Opening times are 07.30 to 1200 and 1330 to 2100
Except Fridays and Sundays when it is open till 22.30 after the last train arrives.
This is the answer from the Pilgrim's Office to my email. David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is my observation that France is closed on Sunday, and Easter will be no exception! Monday closings are frequent, so with the French affinity for holidays, Friday through Monday of the Easter weekend will see many things closed. Have enough provisions to survive. Churches are mostly open.

falcon269 said:
It is my observation that France is closed on Sunday, and Easter will be no exception! Monday closings are frequent, so with the French affinity for holidays, Friday through Monday of the Easter weekend will see many things closed. Have enough provisions to survive. Churches are mostly open.

So will we not be able to eat for two days :?: We are Camino-ing during Easter :)

Ask in advance and carry stuff like tuna, cheese and bread to get by. It's a pilgrimage and you're walking through Good Friday and Holy Saturday - I'm jealous!

Andy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I experienced that all bakeries were open, at least during the mornings , on good friday, silent saturday, easter and easter monday. Some small village tiendas were also open but I had some canned tuna and dried fruits with me for emergencies.

andy.d said:
Ask in advance and carry stuff like tuna, cheese and bread to get by. It's a pilgrimage and you're walking through Good Friday and Holy Saturday - I'm jealous!

Andy

Yes we are very fortunate, I'm jealous too :) , hope we get to go to some local services too, Easter so so special........

Hi

Totally forgot about Semana Santa. I thought it was the week after.

In my country, there is no meat to be had on Good Friday and Black Saturday. Will it be the same in Spain?

Will be arriving on April 2. Will the supermarkets still be open till Good Friday at least so I can get some provisions?

Jan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jan, no worries...small shops will be open. And to my knowledge and observations last year at semana santa there's no problem for getting meat on those days. Spain may be a predominant catholic country ( like my country Belgium is ) but also lapsed in all issues of the faith. Of course most pilgrim menus will have a fish choice as a main course if you want to keep to the religious rules. Buen Camino.

SabineP said:
Jan, no worries...small shops will be open. And to my knowledge and observations last year at semana santa there's no problem for getting meat on those days. Spain may be a predominant catholic country ( like my country Belgium is ) but also lapsed in all issues of the faith. Of course most pilgrim menus will have a fish choice as a main course if you want to keep to the religious rules. Buen Camino.

Thanks Sabine!

Was in a panic mode a few minutes ago, was about to get a bigger pannier for food :D

Oh right you are; in my plannings, I forgot it as well...
My biggest "fear" are the albergues (more than the food) as I will be on the less known Voie du Baztan; you cannot reserve the albergues - which is great - but will they be open?

On the other hand, last year, I was walking these days as well and spent Easter in Reims/France.
But I had "full equipment" with me which I would like to avoid... (sleeping bag + matress + tent)

Buen camino, all will be well!

PS I should arrive at Pamplona on Holy Saturday...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hiked the Frances the last two years through Easter week. We had no problems getting food or accommodations. There actually seemed to be an influx of Spanish walkers during this period.

This year, I will be on the Vasco over Easter week. Going to do a little planning as far as accommodations this year as there are far fewer Albergues on this route.

Ultreya,
Joe

We had no problems with Easter in Spain, we managed a wonderful Gregorian Chant(was packed out, full of locals & pilgrims) in Rabinal on the Tuesday before Easter; we ate & slept well during the whole of Easter.

We didn't manage or see other services, however we didn't try very hard.
We Camino-ed our Easter :D

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.