• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good Guide Recommendations for Camino Primitivo

Ula

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016 - Northern Way
I'm looking for a good, simple, straight forward and most up to date guide for the Northern routes. I'm planing to go on Primitivo next month and the 2 guides I have found so far on Amazon "The Way of St James" by CICERONE and "The Northern Caminos" by Dave Whitson don't have best reviews. The first is not so up to date regarding the albergues etc and the second apparently is complicated and heavy. If anyone could recommend to me a good guide that would be great. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The guide put together in pdf format, The Combined Guide to the Camino Primitivo and the Camino Finisterre / Muxia by Liz Brandt, which you can download under the 'Top Resources' section is really good.

If you have a basic understanding of Spanish, the Editorial Buen Camino guide is very good. The information is up to date and easy to follow.
They also have an app, which is in English. I used it recently on the Norte and the Baztan and really liked it.

Although the 'Northern Caminos' guide hasn't been updated yet, the authors re-walked those Caminos last year and put some really useful updates on their website and Facebook page.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think gronze is all you need for the Primitivo. It's very well marked. Since you must read Spanish if you've been using gronze, the Eroski online guides give good walking instructions so with gronze you've got it all.
I must admit -- it was translated to my primary English --

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The combined guide by Laurie was my primary source. Secondary was Wise Pilgrim app and Buen Camino app. Wikiloc app is great to track your distance traveled which is important since the stages are very long and without many services.

Last edited:
Editorial Buen Camino and Cicerone both served me well.

Even if a book is not super up to date on albergues, you can take notes in from Ersoki, Gronze, etc., and find out about anything new about the next day’s stage from the hospy or fellow walkers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The CSJ guide to the Primitivo is light to carry. You can write in updates from CSJ itself (scroll page for pdf update link) and from gronze etc.
If anyone uses the CSJ guide then further updates are always appreciated as things do change even during the current year.

The 2018 Confraternity of St James Camino Primitivo Guide book will be out soon. You'll be able to download the e-book or buy the paper version at their website or on Amazon. I was proud to be part of the revision team - we added the history and culture that is so significant to the Primitivo, "The First Camino."

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back