• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good luck

chris&chris

Time of past OR future Camino
Both
Hi all started walking From where we left off almost 3 years ago Sanitha. The very first day my friend had a groin injury. So I walked the first part on my own. I found the signage difficult to find certainly not enough and never seen another pilgrim for 20 K. The second day I walked the second section and found one Taverna advertising Pilgrims welcome. Unfortunately it I had a christening on that day and I wasn’t made welcome. Certainly not a lot of water en route luckily for me I have a water carrier that I would definitely recommend. I found it very difficult to get in touch with the chap who runs the ferry. And when we did make contact he had 20 students to take across so my friend and I had to walk the other route which was very boring and very hot.
The very same 20student took up all the hostal accommodation so we had the walk on to the next one .After 10 gruelling days we arrived in Piazenna .I was quite shocked that I only met one pilgrim.I really don’t think it has taken off.Also the locals don’t seem to get it that they will make more money if they are more welcoming towards us .I did see quite a few cyclists.Maybe that’s the way to do it .I will finish it as started in Canterbury.Really needs more signage more hostels more pilgrim lunch/dinner offers and shelters from the sun .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What route and section are you talking about?
Also the locals don’t seem to get it that they will make more money if they are more welcoming towards us .
You think they should ingratiate themselves with you to make more money? How much money are we talking about, since you said there aren't many pilgrims?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Chris x 2 - Find the positive, move forward and make the Via your own happy place.
The VF is not known to be a camino overrun with Disneyland type crowds as seen on the CF.
Embrace the tough times, work through them and enjoy!

Many thanks for all your encouragement .I will of course finish.Just needed a little rant .Back again to do a few more miles in September.C&C

What route and section are you talking about?

You think they should ingratiate themselves with you to make more money? How much money are we talking about, since you said there aren't many pilgrims?
ie one cafe would only serve drinks if we had food .One Cafe wouldn’t let us us the toilet unless we had something.We we’re going to have food on both occasions but it was pointed out very abruptly.Also asked to sit outside at one when nothing was dirty.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So sorry to hear about how you found that section. I did Vercelli to Fidenza in Jan 2020 and found great welcome (only one bar was what I would describe as cool/uninterested). I wonder in covid has had an affect.
And coming across a group of 20 students while frustrating practically, may also be a good thing if the VF is getting better known. The VF is still only minimally developed and it is unlikely to ever become like the camino frances (thankfully!).

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back