• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good/new guidebooks?

Incipia

Time of past OR future Camino
Next spring I'm planning to walk from Santiago to Finisterre and then on to Muxia, slowly, allowing time to take things in. After a look around this forum and on Amazon, I can't find much to read over the long winter ... I'm aware of the John Brierley book, which covers that route along with some of the others, and will consult that. But is there anything else anyone would recommend? Interested in travelogues and things with cultural/historical background as much as a straightforward guidebook.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Next spring I'm planning to walk from Santiago to Finisterre and then on to Muxia, slowly, allowing time to take things in. After a look around this forum and on Amazon, I can't find much to read over the long winter ... I'm aware of the John Brierley book, which covers that route along with some of the others, and will consult that. But is there anything else anyone would recommend? Interested in travelogues and things with cultural/historical background as much as a straightforward guidebook.

I would suggest that you take a look in Ivar's (this forum's sponser) online store. He has a lot of Camino books for sale there. :)

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/

I enjoyed Jack Hitt's book, "Off The Road: A Modern-Day Walk Down The Pilgrim Route Into Spain". It sheds some interesting light on the Camino experience a few decades ago and became an inspiration for the movie, "The Way". You could also look at Paulo Coelho's, "The Alchemist" and "The Pilgrimage".

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

'The pilgrimage road to Santiago' by D. Gitlitz and L. Davidson is very good . Plenty to read over the long winter nights :)
Ps: It isn't a guide book.

HI, I too, with a small group intend to walk Santiago, Finisterre, Muxia early April 2018 (Beginning with the Ingles route to Santiago). The only guide book I know of is John Brierley's which we did use in 2014 - and was great. I look forward to hearing if there are any other guidebooks, or other books about this area.

Buen Camino

HI, I too, with a small group intend to walk Santiago, Finisterre, Muxia early April 2018 (Beginning with the Ingles route to Santiago). The only guide book I know of is John Brierley's which we did use in 2014 - and was great. I look forward to hearing if there are any other guidebooks, or other books about this area.

Buen Camino
Thanks - I might see you then! I did the Camino Ingles in August (my first), and held off going to Finisterre via transport so I can do it as another short camino. I'm a (travel) writer, so I might end up writing one myself, but I doubt I'd be able to confine myself to a straightforward guidebook.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
'The pilgrimage road to Santiago' by D. Gitlitz and L. Davidson is very good . Plenty to read over the long winter nights :)
Ps: It isn't a guide book.
Does it cover Finisterre? That's the bit I'll be doing this time.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back