A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

good resting spot en route?

Camino Badges

EdelK

Camino(s) past & future
jean pied de port- estella october 2018
Hi!
Im doing the camino from Porto at the begining of July

As of right now I plan to do
Matosinhos -Vila do Conde-Esposende--then bus to Barcelos and continue on the central route.

Would Ponto De Lima be a good place to stay for two nights for rest? Or does anyone have suggestions?

martyseville

Camino(s) past & future
a/a
Ponte de Lima is a great place.
I do not however recommend the alburgue across the river.
There are many places to find a room in Ponte de Lima.

Also has bus service to other cities/towns.
Catch bus on street. Ask at TI where bus drop off/pickup is.

bmcbride

CVRambler
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014), Camino Inca (2015), Primitivo (2017), Portugues (2018), Finisterre (2018)
I would have enjoyed spending an extra day in Ponte de Lima, and/or in Tui.

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés, '14 '17 Finisterre, '14 '17 '18 Primitivo, '15 '18 Portuguese, '17, '18 San Salvador, '18
Yes, great choice. Valence and Tui are also great choices.

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2014
Pamplona to Santiago 2017
Norte. 2018
I spent an extra day in Tui last week just to relax and do laundry. Why are you bussing? I just stayed on the coast and went inland st Caminha.

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
Your second day may be too soon for a rest. As others have said, Valença and Tui are good possibilities later on, as is Pontevedra a bit farther. Of the three, I would choose Pontevedra for a good rest before the final push into Santiago.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
I’m not sure what bad experience @martyseville had at Ponte de Lima, but we found the albergue to be very spacious with single beds (not bunks) and a good little kitchen. Plenty of room to drape our wet belongings about. I wouldn’t avoid it.

Leon Ivan

Camino(s) past & future
August 2018: Portuguese (Porto/Santiago), Santiago -Finisterre / Muxia
I agree with Kiwi-family

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
I’m not sure what bad experience @martyseville had at Ponte de Lima, but we found the albergue to be very spacious with single beds (not bunks) and a good little kitchen. Plenty of room to drape our wet belongings about. I wouldn’t avoid it.
The plenty of room to drape wet belongings is useful due to the later opening time. I didn't have a bad experience there, but I did notice it didn't open until 4. In October, that's a little late for everyone to have time to do their laundry and have it dry. The single beds were certainly nice, as was the location.

WalkingJane

Camino(s) past & future
May and October 2015
(2015 October)
June 2018 Portuguese
Hi!

Matosinhos -Vila do Conde-Esposende--then bus to Barcelos and continue on the central route.

Would Ponto De Lima be a good place to stay for two nights for rest? Or does anyone have suggestions?
Oh, yes!

Cmeckley

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-SdC (2011),Porto-SdC, Variante Espiritual (2016), SJPP- Santiago (2017), Porto-SdC (2019)
I'm leaving for Porto in July as well. It will be my 5th camino, 2nd Portugues. Ponte de Lima is lovely. I recommend staying somewhere in the village, not in the albergue across the bridge, where the access to shops, restaurants, etc. is limited. I had a bad case of sunburn, and there was a heatwave the night we stayed in the alburgue, so the next morning we backtracked over the bridge into town, had a lovely breakfast, hit the pharmacy and rested.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
I'm leaving for Porto in July as well. It will be my 5th camino, 2nd Portugues. Ponte de Lima is lovely. I recommend staying somewhere in the village, not in the albergue across the bridge, where the access to shops, restaurants, etc. is limited. I had a bad case of sunburn, and there was a heatwave the night we stayed in the alburgue, so the next morning we backtracked over the bridge into town, had a lovely breakfast, hit the pharmacy and rested.
I didn't find the access to shops, restaurants, etc. from the albergue at all limited in Ponte de Lima. They were just across the nice historic bridge. :)

Cmeckley

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-SdC (2011),Porto-SdC, Variante Espiritual (2016), SJPP- Santiago (2017), Porto-SdC (2019)
I didn't find the access to shops, restaurants, etc. from the albergue at all limited in Ponte de Lima. They were just across the nice historic bridge. :)
I had two teenagers with me, so anything that requires backtracking, is "limited." :)😂

inge.gerlo

Camino(s) past & future
Hi!

Yes, Ponte de Lima and stay there in the old city hostel. They have coffee and thea for free and they also do all your laundary, also for free. Very nice owners, small rooms for only a few people!

Jon Hebertson

2 feet and a heartbeat
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese - Lisbon to SdC September 2017
Finisterre - September/October 2017
Hi!

Hi, Ponte de Lima is great but if you can push further I would stay an extra day in either Valença/Tui or pontevedra

cdnwine

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to Santiago in early Feb 2015
Arles to La Salvetat sur Agou Sept/Oct 2018
Wherever you decide to stay 2 nights, make sure you can stay 2 nights and have access during the day. Most albergues are closed during the day. We stayed 2 nights in Barcelos and took the bus to Braga to spend the day. Left our packs at the albergue.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Dirkhj Camino Portugues 11

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 155 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%