• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

good resting spot en route?

EdelK

Time of past OR future Camino
jean pied de port- estella october 2018
Hi!
Im doing the camino from Porto at the begining of July

As of right now I plan to do
Matosinhos -Vila do Conde-Esposende--then bus to Barcelos and continue on the central route.

Would Ponto De Lima be a good place to stay for two nights for rest? Or does anyone have suggestions?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ponte de Lima is a great place.
I do not however recommend the alburgue across the river.
There are many places to find a room in Ponte de Lima.

Also has bus service to other cities/towns.
Catch bus on street. Ask at TI where bus drop off/pickup is.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I would have enjoyed spending an extra day in Ponte de Lima, and/or in Tui.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I spent an extra day in Tui last week just to relax and do laundry. Why are you bussing? I just stayed on the coast and went inland st Caminha.

Your second day may be too soon for a rest. As others have said, Valença and Tui are good possibilities later on, as is Pontevedra a bit farther. Of the three, I would choose Pontevedra for a good rest before the final push into Santiago.

I’m not sure what bad experience @martyseville had at Ponte de Lima, but we found the albergue to be very spacious with single beds (not bunks) and a good little kitchen. Plenty of room to drape our wet belongings about. I wouldn’t avoid it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m not sure what bad experience @martyseville had at Ponte de Lima, but we found the albergue to be very spacious with single beds (not bunks) and a good little kitchen. Plenty of room to drape our wet belongings about. I wouldn’t avoid it.
The plenty of room to drape wet belongings is useful due to the later opening time. I didn't have a bad experience there, but I did notice it didn't open until 4. In October, that's a little late for everyone to have time to do their laundry and have it dry. The single beds were certainly nice, as was the location.

Hi!

Matosinhos -Vila do Conde-Esposende--then bus to Barcelos and continue on the central route.

Would Ponto De Lima be a good place to stay for two nights for rest? Or does anyone have suggestions?

Oh, yes!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm leaving for Porto in July as well. It will be my 5th camino, 2nd Portugues. Ponte de Lima is lovely. I recommend staying somewhere in the village, not in the albergue across the bridge, where the access to shops, restaurants, etc. is limited. I had a bad case of sunburn, and there was a heatwave the night we stayed in the alburgue, so the next morning we backtracked over the bridge into town, had a lovely breakfast, hit the pharmacy and rested.

I'm leaving for Porto in July as well. It will be my 5th camino, 2nd Portugues. Ponte de Lima is lovely. I recommend staying somewhere in the village, not in the albergue across the bridge, where the access to shops, restaurants, etc. is limited. I had a bad case of sunburn, and there was a heatwave the night we stayed in the alburgue, so the next morning we backtracked over the bridge into town, had a lovely breakfast, hit the pharmacy and rested.
I didn't find the access to shops, restaurants, etc. from the albergue at all limited in Ponte de Lima. They were just across the nice historic bridge. :)

I didn't find the access to shops, restaurants, etc. from the albergue at all limited in Ponte de Lima. They were just across the nice historic bridge. :)
I had two teenagers with me, so anything that requires backtracking, is "limited." :)😂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi!

Yes, Ponte de Lima and stay there in the old city hostel. They have coffee and thea for free and they also do all your laundary, also for free. Very nice owners, small rooms for only a few people!

Hi!

Hi, Ponte de Lima is great but if you can push further I would stay an extra day in either Valença/Tui or pontevedra

Wherever you decide to stay 2 nights, make sure you can stay 2 nights and have access during the day. Most albergues are closed during the day. We stayed 2 nights in Barcelos and took the bus to Braga to spend the day. Left our packs at the albergue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ponte de Lima is a great place.
I do not however recommend the alburgue across the river.
There are many places to find a room in Ponte de Lima.

Also has bus service to other cities/towns.
Catch bus on street. Ask at TI where bus drop off/pickup is.
Actually I would second this. I stayed at this alburgue and did not find it appealing. Why, well found the reception lady quite abrupt and I thought unnecessarily so, showers could not keep up and the whole layout just did not appeal. We all have our own thoughts and likes/dislikes and whereas I really enjoyed Ponte de Lima I did not enjoy the alburgue. My thoughts.
Cheers

Walking on to Ponte de Lima i,you will miss the best place to stay, casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.
Stay there and walk the next day to Ponte de Lima, easy 14 kms stay there and walk the day after to Rubiães which is an partly off road trail to the highest point of the caminho Português which takes you at least 5 hours

. This vid shows Casa da Fernanda

Walking on to Ponte de Lima i,you will miss the best place to stay, casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.
Stay there and walk the next day to Ponte de Lima, easy 14 kms stay there and walk the day after to Rubiães which is an partly off road trail to the highest point of the caminho Português which takes you at least 5 hours

. This vid shows Casa da Fernanda

Oh, yes. Do not miss Casa de Fernanda

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back