• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good Sleeping Quality Brainstorm

JeanneArashi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2 June 2018
Hi all!!!
One thing I worry most about my hike is the sleeping quality.
During the hike (I will be doing the france one starting from early June) we probably need to share a room with lots of people.
I sleep like dead most of the time but before I do fall asleep, I'm pretty sensitive to sound.
Earplug and listening to music don't really work for me as they themselves keep me awake too.
So far I can only think of sleeping earlier than others may help...
Anyone tried any other method or any suggestion?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Over the counter sleeping pills? I've used them when I knew I needed to get a good night's sleep. It wasn't the other people that were the problem - sometimes I had just walked so far that my legs, hips and feet would wake me up every time I moved during the night.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No afternoon sleep! It can be hard to resist falling exhausted into a coma after a long walk, its a disaster if I want to sleep at night.

I’m not very sympathetic to those who expect silence in the afternoon so they an sleep and then wake everyone with their pre-dawn bag rustling.

I too sleep like the dead. I never had a problem falling asleep.

Only awakened twice in five camino due to someone screaming in their sleep.

Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
At home my husbands snoring drives me nuts, on the Camino I sleep like the dead. The snoring and sounds didn't bother me at all, they were sort of comforting. Good long walk, no afternoon nap, food and drink do the trick. You could try earplugs.
The only thing that broke through my sleep was the damn rustling of a supermarket bag, by a guy who started at 4am. Why?

Last edited:
I'll jump in again on this thread because I remember something I wrote couple of years ago on the same forum and I got a lot of likes as I remember but that thread might be long forgotten.
I'm always last to go to bed (and last to leave the albergue too...) and usually I don't have any problems with falling asleep. But I do help myself a little with a certain technique if there is a lot of snoring in the dorm. First I chuckle for about 15 minutes because different styles of snoring (and barfs, farts, talking in dreams etc.) just makes me laugh. Then I pick the most annoying snoring sound and try to find a rhythmic pattern in it. I Try to adapt my breathing according to it. Then I pick the second most annoying snoring and repeat the process with adding it into primary pattern. I can't remember if I added the third most annoying snoring ever. It lulls me to sleep because I think my brain understand it as a form of music or natural rhythm and with my breathing adapted to this... no problem. Try it ;)

Buenas noches :)

I found that if I went a longer distance...and stopped with enough time to clean up before dinner...that I never had difficulty falling asleep after I ate dinner...however...being awoke way too early in the morning by other Pilgrims was another subject!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with the advice to walk a bit longer and avoid napping in the afternoon - that will help you fall asleep faster. Also, if you have any type of pre-sleep routine that you can also do on the Camino, that can get your body and mind into sleep mode. I almost always read before going to sleep, so I did that on the Camino too.

I brought my own pillow cover/slip last year. It was a bit of a 'comfort blanket' -- but hey you need something. It helped me rest at ease not thinking about who and what was alive and living in the pillow.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't do too much vino tinto, because then I will WAKE UP at 3:00 am and bother all the snorers because I have to use the bathroom! Then I have difficulty returning to sleep. :rolleyes:

However, I do like, and have used the technique of moving into the rhythm of the snorer, after years of practice sleeping with my own husband. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Ha ha!

I use silicone ear plugs, which you might try over the foam ones. They seem to work better for me, although for you they might be bothersome as well.

Valerian Root is a nice herbal sleep aid and also Melatonin may help restore a sleep cycle if you suffer from jet lag. I have used both and they both work!

Buen Camino!

Hi all!!!
One thing I worry most about my hike is the sleeping quality.
During the hike (I will be doing the france one starting from early June) we probably need to share a room with lots of people.
I sleep like dead most of the time but before I do fall asleep, I'm pretty sensitive to sound.
Earplug and listening to music don't really work for me as they themselves keep me awake too.
So far I can only think of sleeping earlier than others may help...
Anyone tried any other method or any suggestion?
Be aware that at most albergues the lights out time is 10 pm. If you turn the lights out before then don’t be surprised if others turn them back on. My trick is playing white noise over ear buds, holding the ear buds in with a buff.

I can't do too much vino tinto, because then I will WAKE UP at 3:00 am and bother all the snorers because I have to use the bathroom! Then I have difficulty returning to sleep. :rolleyes:

However, I do like, and have used the technique of moving into the rhythm of the snorer, after years of practice sleeping with my own husband. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Ha ha!

I use silicone ear plugs, which you might try over the foam ones. They seem to work better for me, although for you they might be bothersome as well.

Valerian Root is a nice herbal sleep aid and also Melatonin may help restore a sleep cycle if you suffer from jet lag. I have used both and they both work!

Buen Camino!
Just so people know, about 20% of people have a contralateral stimulant effect from Valerian. California Poppy can be a good choice for those folks at home, although it’s likely not available in capsule form. As always, try at home first!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Silicone earplugs didn’t work for me until I used a huge wad, and then they were great.

I'll jump in again on this thread because I remember something I wrote couple of years ago on the same forum and I got a lot of likes as I remember but that thread might be long forgotten.
I'm always last to go to bed (and last to leave the albergue too...) and usually I don't have any problems with falling asleep. But I do help myself a little with a certain technique if there is a lot of snoring in the dorm. First I chuckle for about 15 minutes because different styles of snoring (and barfs, farts, talking in dreams etc.) just makes me laugh. Then I pick the most annoying snoring sound and try to find a rhythmic pattern in it. I Try to adapt my breathing according to it. Then I pick the second most annoying snoring and repeat the process with adding it into primary pattern. I can't remember if I added the third most annoying snoring ever. It lulls me to sleep because I think my brain understand it as a form of music or natural rhythm and with my breathing adapted to this... no problem. Try it ;)

This sounds like a yoga lesson to me...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I should try the silicone earplugs before I go. See if it works

By the way I saw this in facebook
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/matsucame/item/tsu4821/
It claims that it absorbs 126% of sound compared to urethan and block 99.9% of light XDDDDD
If I have money and strong I would buy one and bring it lol
126%??? :D
What would an appropriate slogan for the add be?
"With our aid you will hear less than nothing!"
or
"You won't even hear your thoughts!"

If there is only one snorer. Breath in time with them... Works for me...

I hope I have done the quote thing correctly.
I need to make copies of this and give to anyone who shares an albergue with me as according to my nearest and dearest I go for gold in the snoring department. :(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope I have done the quote thing correctly.
I need to make copies of this and give to anyone who shares an albergue with me as according to my nearest and dearest I go for gold in the snoring department. :(
Ahem, me too...
Sometimes I sleep like I don't breathe at all and sometimes it's chainsaw/freight train/airplane takeoff combined :eek:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wonder how you’d do with SleepPhones? I haven’t tried them but some people swear by them. Perhaps with white noise or surf sounds if you can’t sleep with music.
AFEE3855-5042-42EE-818B-170505F6FFBE.jpeg

I wonder how you’d do with SleepPhones? I haven’t tried them but some people swear by them. Perhaps with white noise or surf sounds if you can’t sleep with music.
View attachment 41226
I just use my regular earbuds to listen to podcasts. I've found that for me, listening to something is more effective than trying to block out sound.

View attachment 41226

I'm curious too. Maybe something like the sound of the rain is better coz it's continuous and I won't nervously wait when will the next sound happens...
US$40 though:eek:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back