• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good vibes : local walks

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
I detect some animosity lately regarding some issues on this forum.
So I thought : why not start a topic about the lovely walks one can walk locally? This would give us the chance to learn something about other regions / country and nature... Like I said, only a thought...

I will start with some images from my local walks in south of the province Limburg ( Belgium ).

Attachments

• PA160004 (640x480).jpg
    PA160004 (640x480).jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 1,597
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here is a picture of a stream where we hiked and camped this past weekend in East Tennessee.

Attachments

• phpvWd9quAM.jpg
    phpvWd9quAM.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 1,548
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Salisbury to Stonehenge, 5 hours. 15/07/2012

Attachments

• _DSC6334.JPG
    _DSC6334.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,426
  • _DSC6312.JPG
    _DSC6312.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,426
  • _DSC6290 - Copy.JPG
    _DSC6290 - Copy.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,427
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Miguel : very nice picture. Lovingkindness : as ever your pictures make me dream away...( if not only for the scones )...

A city stroll in beautiful Gent.

Attachments

• IMG_0354 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0354 (800x600).jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 1,373
ouch not good. You will love Gent, less touristy than Bruges. Here , a good waffle from tearoom Max in Gent, to make up for the fleas from Bruges... :D

Attachments

• IMG_0356 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0356 (800x600).jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 1,346
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Making it easy for the walkers : part of track with wooden deck....

Attachments

• Nerem (480x640).jpg
    Nerem (480x640).jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 1,147
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Love them :)

On a post-Camino walk over our old training ground on the Haldon Hills we saw these two little lizards 'holding hands'.

Then on a train in Wales (not the FEVE),

we could see Pen Y Fan (pronounced Pen i Van) 886mts above sea level.
We climbed it a couple of days later. More folk than we saw recently on the Camino and harder than Buspol. :!:

Attachments

• lizards.jpg
    lizards.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,013
  • not the FEVE.jpg
    not the FEVE.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,015
  • start of climb.jpg
    start of climb.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,016
Two hours to ascend and an hour and a half descent on the 'easy side'. The army use the circular route for training.

Attachments

• corn du.jpg
    corn du.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,010
  • pen y fan.jpg
    pen y fan.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • view from top.jpg
    view from top.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,004
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Brilliant! Keep on posting. Tia, the landscapes are so beautiful. So jealous. We will never have these immense open spaces in our country... . :cry:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And what better way to treat oneself after the walk : a very good Trappist beer, a Chimay.

Attachments

• Chimay.jpg
    Chimay.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 882
Great thread Sabine. I'm home now, and back at work... so I am just grabbing some weekend time to walk on the local tracks on the edge my city at present. It's winter back here, and the last two weekends we've had frosts then blue skies. Here are a couple of shots from my walk this morning.
Margaret

Attachments

• turitea 1.jpg
    turitea 1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 778
  • Turitea walkway 2.jpg
    Turitea walkway 2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 771
What joy to read about local walks as I plan my spell on the Camino (setting off for part of the Camino de la Plata in a week. Yikes!!!) I love to think of people who do not know England exploring our hills and dales as I book accommodation in Finisterra, with no real idea of the culture there!

I am a school teacher at the Stonehenge School in Wiltshire and love local forays to the New Forest and roundabouts. Too many people do not appreciate the beauty on their doorsteps. Although perhaps I am lucky to have chosen a doorstep with much nearby beauty.

Anyway, I am inspired by this thread and will continue to seek both beauty and adventure, near and
far.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Margaret, thanks for sharing! Very beautiful.

Oceanroc : all the best for your upcoming Camino. Keep us posted.

Local pilgrim's Cross close to the Loreto hermitage/ chapel.

Attachments

• Pelgrimskruis Loreto kapel.jpg
    Pelgrimskruis Loreto kapel.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 611
Great idea Sabine and fantastic pictures! I know that we have planned to walk together in August but I am not so sure that we will be able to MOVE if we indulge in all those lovely desserts and beer:)!!!

Just a week back but went out on Sunday for a 2 1/2 hour walk in the dunes. No we don't have the wide open expanses as in Spain but the dunes and beach here in Zuid-Holland are very special:

juk9w1.jpg

2hsaj9s.jpg

2hz31c0.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow, some amazing pictures! Of course I am quite taken by the scones and tea, and waffle pics, but all the landscape ones are just stunning. Thanks for sharing! Hubby and I have been walking in a local forest, where there are usually koalas and kangaroos, must remember to take my camera next time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Sabine. We decided that we would start a new blog with some of our local walks, especially as 'training' would get a bit repetitive. So here is the link for anyone interested. http://peripatio.blogspot.co.uk/
We have some lovely places to walk in the UK and are much blessed by living in a rural area.

On a light note:- We were invited to visit the farm where the angora goats ('mohairs') are kept which provide our socks. Terry's hands pulling up his socks are on their publicity, but this is a photo I took.

Attachments

• woolly friends.jpg
    woolly friends.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 360
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back