• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good weekend hikes on Arles route?

rsmith0000

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013) Frances (2014) St. Oswald's Way (2015) Le Puy (2016) Portugues (2018)
After walking half the Le Puy-en-Velay route last year, I'm headed to Nice, France, for a month of intensive French language study. Here's my question: are there any two- to four-day stretches of the Arles route (the pilgrim path presumably closest to Nice) that you would recommend walking? I've been reading that the Arles path isn't much walked and that the way marking might be poor in spots. I'm hoping to do some of the more picturesque stretches, in bits and pieces on my free weekends. I'll have to take buses or trains to my starting points (no car). I know the question is a bit esoteric but any advice would be much appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't speak for the chemin east of Montpellier, but I have walked Grabels( a western suburb of Montpellier) to Castres. I would look at sections within this area, some of it is quite remote, tough and very beautiful. Way marking is good and there is accommodation, because you are walking weekends it is worth checking out the pilgrim places to stay and booking in advance, a lot of French have long weekends of walking.

There is a chemin from Marseille called the Voie Phoceenne, and while you may not want to walk out of Marseille you can join it a bit later and walk through some stunning areas before it reaches Arles. There is some good details on this route and accomodation options on the web by various amis of the route..

Nice is on a historical and modern route linking Rome to Santiago, so if you find details you can walk both ways.

Thanks so much for your recommendations! I wasn't aware of the Voie Phoceenne but have now found maps of the 130 KM route from Marseille to Arles. It looks really good, so now I'll try to see how good the way marking is on the route since I'm guessing it's not used too much. I'll research the section of the Arles route you recommend. Again, many thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the suggestion, Ginniek. I'm in France now.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ginniek. I'm in France now.
Lucky you being in southern France. Hope to get back late spring 2018 and do part of the Via Tolosa which doesn't seem to really exist any more but the path along the Canal du Midi should be a reasonable substitute and a good excuse to go back to Carcassonne.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back