• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Goodbye to the myth of botafumeiro

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have to say I never understood the fumigation thing, myself. Why would pilgrims have smelt any worse than the usual crowd of laborers, farm workers, etc? It never made sense to me--obviously a recent urban legend from the deodorant era.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From James Michener, 1968:

botefum.JPG

Guess that if it really helped against germs and odor, every albergue would be equipped with multiple...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The use of incense in Church, indeed in many non Christian religions, adds a sense of solemnity and mystery to the Mass, or Holy event. The visual imagery of the smoke and the smell is meant to remind us of the transcendence of the Mass which links heaven with earth, and allow us to enter into the presence of God. In addition, incense, jos sticks, prayer wheels and flags are all methods of sending prayers UP to God.
The origin of the Botafumerio myth may just be a weak connection to an oft used slang phrase: "Stinks to high heaven"
Whether myth or not...I love the smell of incense.
Arn

The use of incense in Church, indeed in many non Christian religions, adds a sense of solemnity and mystery to the Mass, or Holy event. The visual imagery of the smoke and the smell is meant to remind us of the transcendence of the Mass which links heaven with earth, and allow us to enter into the presence of God. In addition, incense, jos sticks, prayer wheels and flags are all methods of sending prayers UP to God.
The origin of the Botafumerio myth may just be a weak connection to an oft used slang phrase: "Stinks to high heaven"
Whether myth or not...I love the smell of incense.
Arn
My understanding is that it has it's roots in the Old Testament (Jewish Books) dating back many thousands of years and also relating to the last book in the Bible which is the book of Revelation e.g. offering our prayers up which is a sweet odour to God. ( I have taken this from memory and hope it helps in understanding the significance of it in Santiago ). So I guess Arn "You are correct"

Wow ! That story made me feel like I just got sucker punched. How could I have been so gullible? I rather liked the smelly pilgrim version.
Next thing ya know some scholars are going to come along and tell us that those are not Santiago's bones in that sarcophagus.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Attending mass in a rural community in the 60's and 70' one was treated to the slow release of a complex bouquet from wet wool coats/suits -this was an accumulation of turf smoke, Sweet Afton cigarettes , Imperial leather soap, unpasteurised milk, human sweat, silage, manure, ammonia and other less salubrious odours -so, aside from the liturgical reasons, as a overly fastidious teenager I loved incense and made sure to sit up front and get a good snook of it at every opportunity (if I missed getting a seat in the first few pews then breathing through my mouth was the other option). When attending mass nowadays I find the smell of incense is often lost in a haze of perfume, eau de cologne, hair gel and other 'product' emanating from the congregation and I rather miss the earthy odours of those childhood masses.

Last edited:
The word Botafumeiro must come from Gelmírez times.
It is a Galician word composed by Botar (to throw) and fumeiro (from fume(smoke))
:Something that throws smoke.
Another similar word: Botafogo (Rio de Janeiro) : Something that throws fire (Maybe the sand on the beach?)

Apologies for going a bit off road but isn't the notion of the Odour of Sanctity interesting? It seems to have evolved in the middle ages, indeed when investigating the validity of a candidate for canonisation the presence of a nice smell (usually floral) noted by those present at the candidates deathbed was often a important piece of evidence. Though usually associated with the actual death of the saint, or experienced by pilgrims to a saints shrine, a 17th century French carol also mentions a perfume 'sweeter than the flowers of spring' as being present at the nativity
(
).
Perhaps that links into a much broader understanding of a connection between sanctity & odour at least in the mind of the wider medieval public? There's also theory that fasting (as occurs in some pilgrimage contexts) can cause the release of acetone (brought on by ketosis) and so pilgrims might very well have detected a sweet smell (the classic pear drop odour) which they could have perceived as heaven sent/scent. So perhaps they didn't need the Botafumeiro to mask their pilgrim musk…or rather Odour de pelerin ;)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
what a lovely set of posts, Nell. We get to smell a rural Mass crowd of several years ago, and stand by the deathbed of a holy person, and now I can listen to beautiful music, too.

The censer of the Cathedral of Santiago did not begin to be used to mitigate the odor of the pilgrims, but for liturgical purposes

http://www.abc.es/local-galicia/20150208/abci-adios-mito-botafumeiro-olor-201502081216.html

Well, I'm sure the urban legend has been around for centuries!

Interesting. I took the roof top tour of the Cathedral this past summer (highly recommended for the roof & the views) and the tour guide's explanation for the origins of the use of the botafumerio was odour masking of the unwashed pilgrims sleeping in the triforium. Hmmm...perhaps it's time for a script adjustment?

If you have been to mass when the botifumero was being swung you would quickly wonder how the stench of hundreds of medieval pilgrims could be helped with the light scent of the inscent. It really is not overpowering at all. In my opinion, would not have covered much.

As for the rooftop tour: absolutely! If you are afraid of heights beware, I am not and yet I was not 100% comfortable, but it is the best explanation of that magnificent building, it's history and architecture. Well worth it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sadly, especially in the USA Church, the almost rabid crusade against smoking has bled over into any release of smoke, consequently, the use of incense is often only present at Adoration and Funerals. In addition, newly ordained priests having grown up in a "smoke free" world are hesitant to use incense as often as is proper.
I have a confession to make: several years back I walked in procession swinging a non-fired up thurible. As I passed down the isle...many parishioners began coughing.
We call this "Catholic Flu".
When I carry an "engaged" thurible, I enjoy keeping it close to me so I get the FULL effect. And, I do retain the sweet though penetrating essence through the Mass and beyond.

I doubt they use the same incense and herbs that they used in the middle ages. In the Codex Calixtinus the French priest writes:

"In front of the altar of Santiago, three huge silver lamps are suspended for the glory of Christ and the Apostle. The one in the middle is huge, and worked marvellously like a large grinding bowl, containing seven receptacles, the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, in which seven lamps are placed.
These receive only balsam, myrtle or olive oil. The receptacle in the middle is bigger than the others. And in each one around this one, two apostles are carved on the outside. May the soul of King Alfonso of Aragon, who by tradition gave it to Santiago, rest in peace forever."

Thank you Sillydoll for opening this thought provoking thread.
The smell of incense takes me back to my childhood and being an Alter server.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.