• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Googel StreetView along the Camino Frances

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Today Google have activated "StreetView" in a large part of Spain...including along the Camino Frances. Ok, so its not "down every path", but they have driven along the route with a car and added it to the Street View in Spain.

Have a look at the Spanish map here:
http://maps.google.es/
(Drag the yellow man to the map to see Street View)

This might also be useful, the Camino Frances Googel Mapplet that google has created. (Select a monument or Albergue in the drop down box to your left).

For a stroll around Santiago de Compostela have a look here (Cafe Suso).

Greetings from "almost-raining" Santiago,
Ivar

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Peter Robins said:
ivar said:
Today Google have activated "StreetView" in a large part of Spain...including along the Camino Frances. Ok, so its not "down every path", but they have driven along the route with a car and added it to the Street View in Spain.

they've driven along the main road, not the waymarked Camino Frances.
Exactly... so it is not really the "Camino"... but if you have never walked it I guess it gives you an idea of the places you will pass by, some idea of the terrain and I guess it might be useful in the larger city centers you will pass by.

they've really been extremely busy on the SV front; there's a mass of imagery from all over Spain. A pity that, with a couple of exceptions, they've just driven around, as they tend to bypass the old town centres. They do go past some favourite spots on the CF though - I've just been looking at Manjarin - and at least you can follow the CF from Lavacolla to Santiago (where there are quite a few pilgrims to wave at)

I think this is really cool ! I can now stroll along the streets of Santiago, especially around the cathedral, and reminisce.

I can also see images of the albergues and churches I had passed, visited or stayed in. This is especially helpful as I try to sort through my photos and notes, and piece togethe the memories of the journey.

Ivar, thanks a bunch for providing the links. Much appreciated.

Rebecca

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Scroll along around Mansilla de las Mulas, where the Camino is right along the road and you'll see a few Perigrinos, and some signs with big blue and yellow conchas. Oddly, they blocked out the words "camino santiago" from the sign, along with the usual faces, licence plates etc.

el Pais reports that Xacobeo feels tricked by Google.

A week after submitting the draft recreation that Google do the Camino de Santiago at 360 degrees, the Xunta breaks its silence and admits that it felt "deceived" by the multinational, who has photographed most of the Way on roads, fleeing the traditional route used by pilgrims to win the Jubilee. It has taken 10 days to review the route of the Camino Francés which was marked by Google, but when finally done, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism explained that they only knew the real virtual tour after it was publicized.
Not that day, on 10 November, or the next corrected the Xunta their bombastic ads about the virtues of the system. The president, Alberto Núñez Feijoo and Regional Minister of Culture, Roberto Varela, present at the event, ensured that the path would be "mile after mile. Now, the Jacobean considers that the error was "different conception of the Way."
"Google realized that 'doing the Way' was just seeing shelters and monuments, most significantly," said Chief Marketing of Xacobeo 2010, Gloria Sallent, "but making the way for us is not to take the road."
The company defends itself, arguing that because the regional government warned that the tool would not come all the areas. Culture admits that they were informed that the tour would not be complete on the Net, however, he did not hide his "frustration". He assured that representatives of Xacobeo has already demanded an explanation from Google. The company, however, believes that all was clear from the outset.
"We have a tool that goes where you go," said the representative of the browser. Gloria Sallent believes that the path of Google "has no accessibility problems, but of concept" and that "the misunderstanding is detrimental to Galicia.
"We had meetings and told us they were taking the photographs," explains Sallent: "They said they were doing the Camino Francés, we thought it a good way of promotion." As he admits, the Xunta had "the illusion" that the Street View (for which denies paying) will serve to host the Holy Year. "We wanted to do something that will accrue points," he says.
The surprise away by the Government after the presentation, he could access the tool. The Jacobean argues that before the public ceremony with Google, they did not know what actually could be seen from the map 360 degrees web portal.

The chairman of the regional government had already announced in June the large agreement with Google to make the "biggest campaign so far on a global tourist destination". He was not referring only to Street ViewBut also to its advertising spending on the form and the foray into audio-visual YouTube. The Jacobean, however, takes a point of optimism within the disappointment and still defends the tool as a way of reporting on the Way. He alludes to the data offered on monuments and shelters-not all are photographed, despite the company's ads. "You can not go all the way as mentioned above, but you get the idea stage," says Sallent.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/Galicia/ ... gal_14/Tes

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back