Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Google Earth Elevation Profiles

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
Just thought I'd mention that Google Earth v5.2 now has a facility for generating an Elevation Profile based on a path that you can either draw yourself or load from an external source.

As an example, the image below shows the elevation profile for Betanzos to Bruma on the Camino Ingles. The darker shaded area in the profile is the steep ascent a couple of km before Bruma and selecting it highlights the corresponding part of the path in the main window so you can easily see what terrain it relates to.

This link http://earth.google.com/support/bin/sta ... wer=181393 gives more detail about how to use the facility.

Not everyones ideal to plan to that degree of detail but at least it could help to decide where to stop for that cold beer or energy enhancing Mint Cake before a long climb :) .

Enjoy
Mig

Attachments

• GoogleEarthProfile.jpg
    GoogleEarthProfile.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,763
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Gees - did I really walk through all those trees? I remember a long and never-ending road going through a forest but it looks much thicker on that map.
What is a mint cake? I never saw any mint cakes on the Camino.

andy.d

Veteran Member
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
Check British rucksacks - there might be an emergency stash inside

.....or possibly, a pile of it with a single bite taken out of each slice at the bottom of the Bruma Hill. It's definitely an acquired taste, a bit like biting into 2cm thick icing sugar :shock:

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
SDC-Fisterra 08/Camino Frances SJPP to SDC 09/Nuremburg-SDC 11- ongoing
Thanks Miquel this is a great little tool-elevation profiles give me a real idea of what my time frame will be for a section (and my state of mind and body en route :shock: ).
I'd also like to advocate the benefits of Kendal Mint Cake.There's nothing legal that gives the turbo charge sugar kick of a KMC -finding half an old one at the bottom of my rucksack (in fairly dubious condition) got me up to the Cruz de Ferro.
Nell

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads