• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Google Map with Caminos and recommended albergues/bars/restaurants

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
I've been playing around with Google My Maps, ever since I was introduced to the rudiments of kml file editing on another thread.

Previously, I posted a link to another map made with the GPS tracks collected by the good in the Nederlands Genootschap van Sint Jacob. I added to it the albergues, restaurants and bars recommended in various resources and threaads here.

In search of something a little more "authoritative" in GPS tracks, I found the kml files shared by the Centro Nacional de Información Geográfica (CNIG) in Spain. These are the people that produce that lovely map that Ivar sells. I've put those maps on a Google Map (which then looked much like the nice paper map I have except that you can zoom right in) and ported over the recommended establishments.

If youwant to check it out:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You did this?! Neat!
Yep. It isn't hard once you know how. To put the maps together it is just a lot of copying and pasting in Notepad. The limitations are that you can only have a certain amount of layers in a map and each layer can only have so much data.

I'm very open to adding other recommended albergues/bars/restaurants, especially on the Caminos other than the Frances. Also ready to remove any that we hear have closed permanently (sad face). This can be a living document.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been playing around with Google My Maps, ever since I was introduced to the rudiments of kml file editing on another thread.

Previously, I posted a link to another map made with the GPS tracks collected by the good in the Nederlands Genootschap van Sint Jacob. I added to it the albergues, restaurants and bars recommended in various resources and threaads here.

In search of something a little more "authoritative" in GPS tracks, I found the kml files shared by the Centro Nacional de Información Geográfica (CNIG) in Spain. These are the people that produce that lovely map that Ivar sells. I've put those maps on a Google Map (which then looked much like the nice paper map I have except that you can zoom right in) and ported over the recommended establishments.

I wish I could open the link to have a look. Using my iPhone I get the message that it won’t open.
Later today , I’ll check with my pc. Maybe it will be possible there. Or would it be because I’m in Australia?

I wish I could open the link to have a look. Using my iPhone I get the message that it won’t open.
Later today , I’ll check with my pc. Maybe it will be possible there. Or would it be because I’m in Australia?
I set it to "Public: everyone on the internet can find and access", so it should be available to folks in Australia. I surely wouldn't want to exclude such fine people!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very useful to those of us who have no idea what a kml file is, David. Thanks for this. A question,: is it possible to access the satellite map while viewing this?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very useful to those of us who have no idea what a kml file is, David. Thanks for this. A question,: is it possible to access the satellite map while viewing this?
At the bottom of the key on the left hand side there is the option to switch view to Satellite. On Android phone you may need to open the key by clicking on the map name (below the map itself). Not sure about IOS.

GoogleMap.PNG

I had no problems with an Android phone in NZ

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for pointing this out. I have the file, just seem to have forgotten to aggregate it with another as I was reducing the layers to fit within the Google limits. I'll take care of that now.

Done.
David

Here are some places I stopped at on the Ingles, I'm afraid that was back in May 2018 but after they cut Bar Julia out of the route.

As the old map maker's rubric says:

WARNING: Roads are shifted, houses burn, are abandoned or rebuilt; a round world distorts a flat map; man’s memory is fallible; expect not exactness.

Attachments

• Ingles stops.kmz
    1.8 KB · Views: 20
Wow when I first read what you wrote I thought why not just use an existing app. But you have done a really wonderful job and I am sure with the amount of work you have to do that it keeps you off the streets and out of trouble:);)
Impressive!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I set it to "Public: everyone on the internet can find and access", so it should be available to folks in Australia. I surely wouldn't want to exclude such fine people!
Hi David
I've had a look at this on my pc... very impressed!
Note: There must be something one has to do to the settings on the iphone though.. On 'my' iphone the link (for me) opens up in google maps but where I live.. I've had this happen before.. Not a big deal though...
I'll spend some time on the pc..
Thankyou
Annie

This is a great tool and can't wait to use it on 'the way', possibly 2022 but still a long shot.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At the bottom of the key on the left hand side there is the option to switch view to Satellite.
Thanks miguel. It must have seemed a really dumb question. (I had the opening sidebar covered by a subsequent one displaying albergue info!)

I'm in Oz. It opened on my tablet. Haven't tried on my phone.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Later today , I’ll check with my pc. Maybe it will be possible there.

Hi David
I've had a look at this on my pc... very impressed!
Note: There must be something one has to do to the settings on the iphone though.. On 'my' iphone the link (for me) opens up in google maps but where I live.. I've had this happen before.. Not a big deal thou
David
Even more weird and no explanation though. I haven’t made any changes to my iPhone settings but now that I’ve gone into the forum via my pc and opened the link successfully there - going back to forum via iPhone the link opens as it should.
As I mentioned before / it wasn’t a big deal if I had to go to pc but easier for me to be able to use my iPhone for forum. Now it works ..
Thank you 🙏

Brilliant, David ... congratulations🏆

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.