• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gore tex shoes or boots?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It depends upon the conditions. For a camino, in Spain under most circumstances NO! In fact, the Gortex in warmer weather may contribute to the development of blisters. In cold weather they can be harder to dry out.
The only time I use Gortex is when I am anticipating to walk in a lot of snow in very cold weather for an extended period of time. That does not usually happen in Spain. As far as boots verses shoes, my preference is shoes, but it depends on your preference.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My priorities for a Camino are shoes with the right size toe box, and to avoid blisters the right socks and insoles, and then ankle guards (mini gaiters or some name) to keep the stones and grasses from getting into the shoes. 3 or 4 pair of socks rotated every hour or so.

Then all the other stuff.

Do you think that shoes or boots with Gor Tex is necessary?
Certainly not
What is you experience on the Camino?
I happily used Goretex on several caminos in October-November and March. However, I did not find that they kept my feet dry in hours of rain. I have switched to non-Goretex for spring walks. I would probably choose Goretex for wet-season walks, IF my favourite walking shoe came in a wide width in the Goretex version. It does not, so I sacrifice waterproofness for the most comfort fit.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Certainly not

I happily used Goretex on several caminos in October-November and March. However, I did not find that they kept my feet dry in hours of rain. I have switched to non-Goretex for spring walks. I would probably choose Goretex for wet-season walks, IF my favourite walking shoe came in a wide width in the Goretex version. It does not, so I sacrifice waterproofness for the most comfort fit.

I agree… I quit using Goretex on my feet years ago because it can’t breathe. Even for wet season walking, deep snow etc. I use Keen Revel II and III now. They have an extra thick sole and a wool liner for warmth, and a leather upper with thick padding inside. I took my Revels on my CP when I saw the temperatures were heading into unseasonal lows and a deluge of rain.
There was one evening in Sao Jao de Madeira when I used a hair dryer in my hotel to dry my boots and socks because I had walked through heavy, wet mud that day.
Other than that day, I never had damp feet at all… not even when we had a detour because a bridge was out due to flooding. I think that was my day out of Redondela but I’m not sure anymore.
Anyway it was so wet and so cold that I came down with horrible tonsillitis at the end of the trip... But never required goretex boots.

Do I have a Goretex shell with emergency tracker beacons? Yes! Yes, I do. And I have goretex ski wear. But I do not use Goretex on hands or feet because they can get damp in the boot or the glove/mitt… then cold… then freezing.

Goretex is great…. But not for hands or feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I was at a store, looking for some footwear for a warm weather hike, all the shoes that fit me had Gore-tex linings. The store had few models without a Gore-tex sticker.

I think it comes down to Gore-tex's power as a known brand. People are aware of Gore-tex, even if they don't know what it is and what it does. I think a lot of makers use it in their footwear now because they know that they will lose sales by not having a Gore-tex sticker on the shoe.

Bushwalking in Australia one is more concerned about overheating than getting wet. I just had a look at a couple of our hiking/adventure stores, and could find lots without Gore-tex - a few even marketed specifically that way. Whether or not they will fit...there's the rub.
For example "these women's hiking boots are Gore-Tex free meaning they breathe beautifully, dry fast, and stay cooler in hot Australian conditions."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Goretex does what it (I. E. Goretex) says it does. Some manufacturers misrepresent the product wrapping their sales pitches in meaningless gobbledegook.
It certainly only causes blisters if the footwear does not fit your foot correctly, same as any shoe made with whatever material.
It can only pump OUT a certain amount of humidity created within the wrapping, that may be a lot less than you personally create due to the amount of foot sweat you personally produce.
Oh, and that hole you put your foot, is not watertight especially from the rain running down your legs. ( Gaiters help in this respect)

The most important thing about the footwear is first that it fits absolutely correctly, second that it fits absolutely, without a doubt, correctly. Third, if you have really sweaty feet then consider getting footwear that fits absolutely correctly but breathes a lot better than Goretex or carry more socks and change them more frequently throughout the walking day.

Boots, shoes, sandals, your choice, your feet. Just make sure they fit properly.

€149,-

I started using waterproof socks this spring, in Canadas Wet west coast and love them. So far every day I have use my feet stay dry, while previously my feet on same trails would be soaked

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well ventilated, fast drying, hiking shoes or boots are very important. They should be the single, most important item you invest in as you plan your Camino. Gore-Tex water repellant shoes/boots are a personal choice.

NB. the second most important item is your rucksack, as you will be wearing it every day for a month, plus or minus. It needs to fit properly and not cause back or shoulder pain or irritation.

Since 2013, all my Caminos have been walked in the April - May period. Given the weather in northwestern Spain, you SHOULD expect to encounter mud, impassible puddles that must be walked through, wet grass, and lots of rain. That is why I choose Gore-Tex.

In fact, my Keen Gore-Tex boots are so water resistant that, before I enter the town - village - I plan to overnight at, I look for water filled ditches, drainage culverts, large standing puddles, or hooked up garden hoses, etc. I use these to rinse off the outside of my boots, before I get to my lodgings. I even carry a tiny "boot brush" in my rucksack side pocket to dislodge mud from my soles. The insides stay dry, and it does not offend the proprietor of my overnight lodgings.

This aside, if getting wet from immersion is not your concern, then that leaves ventilation and comfort. Keeping your feet happy is critical to a pleasant Camino. Two Caminos with expedient operations at podiatrists have driven that point home to me. After six Caminos, I am finally getting the idea.

I have NEVER had an actual blister. My particular problem involves accumulating thick callouses on my heels that become infected. The condition i caused by congenitally, oddly-aligned feet.

Over this long layover, thanks to the pandemic, my local podiatrist and I have been experimented with alternative inserts to counter my heel geometry problem. We finally found a solution. Local walks with my APOC chapter - before my serious illness - proved that this approach works. Testing this on a real Camino will have to wait until 2022.

Bottom line - if walking during a wet time or place, opt for Gore-Tex. If walking during an expected dry period or place, opt for more ventilation.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

My experience says goretex walking shoes in Spain are not necessary and with the dry climate make my feet damp from the inside and promotes blisters . I hike with breathable walking shoes and still air my feet out once or twice a day .

They give me hot feet. On one long tropical walk I tore the lining out because my feet were so hot and damp. I find that when it is really wet your feet get wet anyway because the water wicks down your socks.

€149,-
For all long walks I use only Gore-Tex shoes. Combined with medium-thick socks, they guarantee that my feet will be dry no matter how much the outside temperature is and no matter how hard it rains.
When it rains, I put on over-trousers that have a rubber that holds around the shoes so the rain can’t get into them.
Gore-Tex materials prevent water from entering the shoes and allow water vapor to escape and I am very happy with them. I read here that some people have a bad experience with them but I believe they are more likely to have had a bad product than that the material itself is not good.
I walked up to 50 kilometers per day and never got a blister.
In fact the best indicator of how satisfied I am with the shoes is that for the first time in my life I bought the same pair of shoes again.
Salewa mid.jpg
Old shoes.

Salewa Mid 2.jpg

New Shoes.

I have walked in these shoes for more than three years, walked thousands of kilometers in all weathers and on all terrains (except the jungle) and I claim that Gore-Tex shoes guarantee dry feet if you prevent water from running down your leg into your shoes with over- pants or gaiters and have a good socks.
I wear medium-high shoes even in the heat because that way I prevent stones from falling into my shoes and I have support for my ankles.

Last edited:
We have worn goretex, (or other companies similar membranes) on all our caminos. Three times on el norte or El salvador sections we had significant rain. Slip on rain pants- water did not enter the hiking shoes or trail runners- and our feet stayed dry compared to other walkers, even walking through deep puddles and mud. On the CP-littoral route we had no rain, but no blisters either. We are firm coverts to waterproof footwear, if rain is around. If no rain is predicted- no need for goretex. Lots of discussion here- I guess people are getting back in the purchase-decision making mode. We will likely not travel until 2022 on the Norte-Olvidado-Salvador-Primitivo route and hope that things are functioning well then!

My experience says goretex walking shoes in Spain are not necessary and with the dry climate make my feet damp from the inside and promotes blisters . I hike with breathable walking shoes and still air my feet out once or twice a day .
Dry climate and Galicia seem at first glance to be incompatible. The lush green grass is a bit of a giveaway clue as to the fact that it can actually rain there 😁. However you may have been ever so lucky in your personal experience. Plan for rain, enjoy life if it doesn't. 😎

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

No. In fact I believe they contribute to blisters. I go the opposite way. Well ventilated open mesh no fabrics that absorbs water. Yes your feet may get wet, but the dry quickly. So called water shoes work well. I do not wear socks. I have walked 7 camino in them. https://coolofthewild.com/best-water-shoes-for-hiking/
david

Isn't it great we are back to these discussions!!!! I am sitting here reading and saying oh I agree with that and then oh I definitely don't agree with that! The only thing that we can all agree on is your shoe/boot/sandal/flip flop fits correctly.
The answer will only become apparent to Jean Ti when she is on the camino and she is walking on air. Well that probably won't happen until she gets a few hundred k under her soles or she has to start counting her blisters. By her second camino Jean will know what to do!

I think breathable or waterproof material like Gore-tex or eVent type material is a matter of preference. I have trekked over 13,000 miles in the last six years, and I try to always wear somewhat waterproof boots, but I think it’s still a personal choice, as is noted in many of the responses.

I started out with breathable trail shoes because my feet felt cooler, and if they got sweaty, they would dry quicker. Even in a light rain they would dry fairly quick. However, I once got into areas where it rained for several day, I switched to a so called waterproof boot. Because the heavy rain, many times my feet still got wet, and even with good wool socks I developed a small blister. And this is where there is a problem with or without waterproof shoes or boots, as with wet feet and socks the skin on your foot is more likely to get soft. And, because your wet feet move around more easily within the shoe or boot there is a greater chance of developing a blister or it becoming larger. In my case, once after days walking in heavy rain I developed a blister that covered the whole ball of my foot. I changed my wool socks throughout the day, and even resorted to placing plastic bags over my feet in my waterproof boots. My foot got so bad that I ended up in urgent care and was sidelined for over a week.

Even if you wear waterproof shoes or boots that are truly waterproof, you might think of wearing light gaiters if it starts to rain because water will still run down into the tops of your boots. In heavy rain I wear rain pants that cover the top of my boots, plus I wear lightweight gaiters. But on the Camino, especially in warmer months, it’s a little much to carry for the occasional rain.

But for me too, as most people know, wearing a good wool or wool blend sock is almost as more important as the footwear. Even with a waterproof boot that doesn’t breath as well, if you sweat a lot, the sock will absorb the sweat and actually keep your feet cooler, and of course help prevent blisters.

I have people ask me all the time what shoe or boot, or socks, I recommend. I usually tell them what I wear, as I have my favorites, but the shoe or boot they choose should be a personal choice, and they should pick one which fits and feels the best to them. I wear waterproof boots, and my wife and daughter, who hike and have done a Camino with me, wear breathable trail shoes. Everyone is different, and what works well for me might not work for you, so wear what is comfortable for you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use breathable trail runners in the warm months and goretex lined trail runners in the wet months. I also use Chaco sandals when warm. I size up for use on long hikes. An example of trail runners are Brooks Cascades and equivalent models from Salomon, Altra, and Hoka, etc, etc, etc

What works for me may not work for you. Everyone is different. My daughter can walk a Camino in Vans or Converse or a trail runner or a leather mountaineering boot. I can wear any of those on a day hike or weekend backpack but not on a thru-hike or Camino. For me I need support and ventilation. The ventilation keeps my feet dry and reduces the friction which causes blisters.

Socks are important too, I switch between merino wool and cool max.

There are many videos on trail footwear selection on YouTube. Search for keywords like "thru-hike shoes", PCT, AT, CDT, etc.

I am lucky enough not to get sweaty feet, no matter how hot the weather, therefore I am happy to wear Gore-tex (or waterproof) shoes with Merino wool socks for warmth. Obviously it is a personal choice but this combination works for me.

I’m quite old fashioned (literally and figuratively) and have worn soft leather boots with a heavy dose of Camp Dry for years. Not always completely dry but have not had a blister problem except with the occasional sock crease which I ignored. I think the trick is in the well fitted and broken in boots. Sounds so simple, but trying boots on and out long enough to get it right before trekking away in them can be frustrating,

I've had a pair of Merrell trainers/shoes with Gore-tex for a little over a year. I have not worn them every day, not even every week. I usually don't go out walking in the rain. However, the first time I wore them in somewhat muddy conditions they let in water. I complained to Merrell and got a refund.

I will assume the OP wants to walk the Camino between June-September (most popular months). My answer if that is the case is one positively, absolutely does not need gore-tex or any other type of waterproof footwear to walk the Camino (let's assume the Frances). One does not even need to wear what would be commonly known as hiking shoes or boots (it's not a hike....lot of walking on concrete and blacktop). I have never worn waterproof footwear on over 180 days on the Camino. I never needed it.
OP hopes that helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Do not wear waterproof shoes for the camino if you are walking during warm weather. There is no ability for breathability for your feet. I didn't have a clue when I walked the Portuguese camino in 2017. I developed nasty blisters. Better to take a second choice of walking sandals for any possible wet weather days. Just my personal thoughts hope it helps.

The point of goretex is that it is a layered membrane that is supposed to be waterproof and breathable. This works for a rain jacket, but in my opinion, it's just a gimicky sales pitch for shoes. As soon as the shoes get dirt on them, they are no longer really breathable. And if there is stitching on the shoes, they are not waterproof, either. And they take longer to dry out. Better to wear lightweight, completely breathable shoes (or sandals, because then, after walking through the mud, you just rinse em off at the next fountain and keep going).

Hi all, from my opinion, having done the Camino de Frances back in 2018, I brought gore text hiking shoes with me as I had hiked for a while in these before but within a week I had ditched them and chanced buying new footwear because of the fact my feet were constantly wet from sweat. It was July so the heat was quite high. The damage was done at that stage to my skin but from then on it was damage limitation which wasn’t too bad with the new mesh

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We wear goretex shoes/boots/rain coats from well known brands (personal choice) and guess what. Given enough rain they DO let water in. My best pair of boots are none goretex leather hiking boots, very comfortable, very dry, but not the best choice for a warm Camino.

Wow, you have had a lot of replies to your question. And as a poll, most say no, and some have been very happy with gore Tex. My wife and I have walked 3 caminos and 2 other long walks. She cannot have goretex and needs shoes that breath or she gets huge blisters. Mine have gortex and I have never had a problem. We both use merino wool socks.

We have never walked in the summer months in Spain.

I agree with all those who have insisted on fit. Good socks and being able to change them helps. As for the waterproofness, it certainly was a help for me on the Camino del Norte in both Basque Country and Galicia. We had rain. But my wife just dried her shoes every night.

So this last question depends on your feet. You want to make sure it works before you walk your Camino. Based on the poll you have received, many more people said no rather than yes.

Good luck

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My two cents worth - sandals - and waterproof Sealskinz or Dexshell socks if it is cold and/or very wet.
I'm all aboard the sandal train too. I didn't have my SealSkinz waterproof socks yet the first time I walked a Camino in sandals instead of trail runners, and despite quite a bit of rain my feet did fine with regular socks. However, now that I have waterproof socks they go into my pack.

I'm all aboard the sandal train too. I didn't have my SealSkinz waterproof socks yet the first time I walked a Camino in sandals instead of trail runners, and despite quite a bit of rain my feet did fine with regular socks. However, now that I have waterproof socks they go into my pack.
I am also a big fan of sandals on the trail. On a Camino I wear regular hiking socks with the sandals but at home I don't.

I think that the best mix will be a light shoe (no gortex) and with Teva sandals.

The is a lot of knowledge on this post. Thank you all!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Everyone is different. I wore Keens Gortex boots for summer/spring, autumn/winter caminos in Spain and Portugal as well as a very wet Kumamo Kodo in Japan. I swear by them. Never a blister and use choice of sock layers as thermostat. All the best and Ultreia!

All these replies saying what they like to wear when they walk the Camino, yet nobody answers the OP's question. Is Gore Tex footwear necessary to walk the Camino? The answer is quite obviously no.

I had Gortex boots on my first Camino. They got wet. Gortex is not supposed to shrink. It did! I did research in the material properties of Gortex with a Brazilian materials engineer to verify my hypothesis of the material ever do lightly but dangerously shrinking. The result was blisters then gangrenous toes followed with three months of antibiotics.

My second camino was a mixture of material in my boots. Much mess problems including fewer blisters.

Will not pay for nor get Gortex boots again on my upcoming third Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
They give me hot feet. On one long tropical walk I tore the lining out because my feet were so hot and damp. I find that when it is really wet your feet get wet anyway because the water wicks down your socks.
Agreed! But now I use running gaiters in rainy weather and I don’t have the “shin rivulets” anymore. Mine are Mountain Hardwear and they are so light they feel much like tissue and I have to double-check that I’ve packed them in my rain gear pocket of my pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All these replies saying what they like to wear when they walk the Camino, yet nobody answers the OP's question. Is Gore Tex footwear necessary to walk the Camino? The answer is quite obviously no.
Gore-Tex is preferred by many in this thread. People can have different results with footwear, product materials, backpacks, use of merino, how much stuff they bring, and whatever else. What works for me may work really well for another or may not work at all or work somewhere in between.

I think the OP has a lot of information on this subject now and only time on the trail will determine what works for her. Testing out shoes before the trek is good and testing on the Camino is a pretty good time. If the shoes don't work out buy something different in Pamplona. The sports stores there know a lot about footwear and sizing.

My priorities for a Camino are shoes with the right size toe box, and to avoid blisters the right socks and insoles, and then ankle guards (mini gaiters or some name) to keep the stones and grasses from getting into the shoes. 3 or 4 pair of socks rotated every hour or so.

second that,
new to me is the brand Altra with an impressive size toe box, a bit small in sizes, though ...
worth checking out Lone Peak, shoe or boot ..

Last edited:
Rows of shoes/boots drying in the sunshine in the courtyard at Roncesvalles after a VERY wet and wild crossing of the Pyrenees May 21 2014. Driving rain, gale force wind and hail. My feet were sloshing around like a washing machine in my Gore-Tex boots - next camino on a very wet Le Puy to SJPP rain pants solved that problem altho some days felt like multiple wardrobe changes! No, Gore-Tex not required, it's personal preference. Linda20210607_211547.jpg

The OP clearly has her answer, in many posts, Goretex is not necessary.
It is also clear that people's experiences are as individual as their fingerprints. The fit is the most important aspect of footwear in order to protect your feet from friction.

Gore-Tex is preferred by many in this thread. People can have different results with footwear, product materials, backpacks, use of merino, how much stuff they bring, and whatever else. What works for me may work really well for another or may not work at all or work somewhere in between.

I think the OP has a lot of information on this subject now and only time on the trail will determine what works for her. Testing out shoes before the trek is good and testing on the Camino is a pretty good time. If the shoes don't work out buy something different in Pamplona. The sports stores there know a lot about footwear and sizing.
Sure nuff, but the answer to the original question is still no, lol. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Having HAD to wear Goretex boots while employed by the USFWS, I hate those things! My feet sweat inside them and they cause blisters. Even in the pouring rain, my New Balance trail runners are great. If and when they DO get wet, they easily dry overnight, and honestly, if it's pouring rain, I'll stop at a bar and wait out the gusher. Just don't think there's a need for Goretex, OR boots, nor do I care for either. The Camino isn't a mountain climb, it's a leisurely walk, even for this 68 year old woman - - just a few short climbs and the rest on easy track.

My experience with Keen Targhee II Mid boots, which have a proprietary GoreTex-like "Keen.Dry" membrane, was that they kept my feet dry through storms so severe that the CF over the Pyrenees was closed soon after I went through, and through days of rain later on. When the weather was clear and hot (28C - 82F +) I didn't feel like my feet were suffocating due to the water-resistant membrane. I suppose it's made so that oxygen molecules can pass through but larger water molecules cannot. Keen has evolved the product line to version III now.

Click here to see Keen Targhee III Waterproof Mid boots

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good. You can get away with socks and sandals on the Camino, but at home (at least where I live) sandals with socks is a fashion crime.
Id prefer sandals too (without socks) but my feet are too soft and I either get blisters or some dang stone in there !!

Incidentally, we were out for a long hike last Wednesday and our feet got soaked, despite wearing weather proof clothing and goretex footware.

I was disappointed until I noticed just how quickly the wicking effect from my socks and boots quickly got them back to comfortable, but not completely dry of course.

So, finally a plus point for goretex

Incidentally, we were out for a long hike last Wednesday and our feet got soaked, despite wearing weather proof clothing and goretex footware.

I was disappointed....... ..
Those darned designers need to do something about the water ingress through that hole they leave at the top🤔😉😁😅

Edited to add: Actually I use gaiters for that purpose, very light waterproof ripstop nylon (made especially for me by swmbo) for summer and heavy goretex for winter. Both also help control my tick phobia.

Neither

The challenge is not how fast you get wet but how fast you dry up

In shitty weather the rain dropples from the the top and seaps into whatever material you choose ….and it becomes a bathtub that wont dry out….

And anyone that think otherwise has not encountered a proper storm

That said …..of course …….peregrinos are succesfull even in flip-flops….so Gore tech boots is also viable on route👍…..just not my personal choice….just sayin☝️

((((I use Black diamond Carbon poles in technical trails in combination with Max cushioned long distance running shoes…this camino…?…..asics nimbus 23 and new balance fresh foam 1080 v11)))))

Attachments

• 33C32BF6-281F-4532-8ECC-FC9DA965E3A4.jpeg
    33C32BF6-281F-4532-8ECC-FC9DA965E3A4.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always had issues wearing Gore-Tex. They trap in moisture and heat, and increase blisters for me. If they get wet, its extremely hard to dry them out - especially in the winter where they become a block of ice.

I prefer lightweight boots, so I gave my preference to Pendleton. If you're a budget conscious, better check out survivor boots review.

Last edited:

I don’t think Gortex really adds any value. It does trap some moisture inside the show which can promote blisters. Also when you walk in the rain eventually the water runs down your legs and into the shoes. Gortex traps that water in the shoe as it can’t drain. It think it is best to get a pair of trail running shoes that drain well. I have used this type of shoe for hiking and for mud running and have had no foot problems.

It is also instructive to look at what the long distance hikers wear for trails like the Appalachian Trail. They use non Gortex trail runners for a reason. Focus on the size of the shoe, especially the toe box and possibly a larger size. Your feet will swell when you walk. So you need extra room. Too tight a fit can create hot spots and blisters. Fit is everything!

Also, wear high quality socks. Merino wool. Lifetime guarantee. No need for liners. Change socks once per day. Air out your feet when you take breaks. Collectively this should keep your feet happier.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Personally, I don't think Gortex is beneficial on boots - jackets, yes. When my boots got thoroughly soaked on my 1st Camino, I had no problems finding newspaper when I stopped for the night in Melide to stuff them with (several times - before going out to dinner and again just before going to bed), and they were dry by morning. ...of course, they got drenched later in my walking day, so I only had about 5-7 miles walking in the wet ones - no problem. ;)

Gaitors - Absolutely, I'm gonna get some light weight ones as mentioned above, to see how I get on with them
I had serious blisters wearing expensive Goretex boots. A materials’ engineer I met on the Camino examined my boots which had dried subsequent to being soaked. She showed me the proof on the boots where the Goretex had shrunk enough to be the source of my blisters. No more Goretex for long walks like the Camino.

I worked in the outdoor industry back when Goretex was first developed. Even the Goretex reps said that Goretex in footwear was just a marketing ploy. Goretex is meant to be a compromise. It isn't as waterproof as other waterproof products and it isn't as breathable as non-waterproof, breathable materials are. Sometimes that compromise is worth it, as in a jacket when you are exercising in wet conditions (as long as the seams are taped). But shoes have lots of holes in them already that get in the way of waterproofing. And once they are dirty, Goretex shoes/boots are not breathable any more. And they won't dry out nearly as quickly as truly breathable fabrics will. Besides all this, Goretex is significantly more expensive. All this being said, I haven't worn Goretex footwear, and some others here have, and had a good experience with their Goretex shoes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

For me the best is no waterproof shoe! I use hoka bondi, wide, one size larger to account for swelling and breathing. If wet conditions I put on waterproof socks. This combination has worked for me over many caminos with no blisters and great comfort

It depends upon the conditions. For a camino, in Spain under most circumstances NO! In fact, the Gortex in warmer weather may contribute to the development of blisters. In cold weather they can be harder to dry out.
The only time I use Gortex is when I am anticipating to walk in a lot of snow in very cold weather for an extended period of time. That does not usually happen in Spain. As far as boots verses shoes, my preference is shoes, but it depends on your preference.
I nearly lost my two baby toes because my expensive Goretex Boots shrunk after drying. Blisters formed and despite topical treatment serious infection set in. No Goretex ever again on long hikes for me.

Yes and no. Does that answer your question? ;)

Like all things in today's society, everything is contentious and we are all fighting for our own standpoints like our lives depend on it. And we all like to stay with our own kind and scowl suspiciously at the others....personally I don't care what or why you wear what you wear. But I'll tell you this, that guy walking barefoot, he had no friends on the Camino hehe.

I will try to give you some considerations.

What are you used to walking in for hiking? GTX or not? Never worn them and then suddenly 30+ days on them or vice versa suddenly walking without might be an issue.

Does your feet run hot? Cold? GTX will run a little hotter, but hot feet will never be the reason anybody can't finish the Camino. IMO this is just a comfort issue, as in what are you comfortable with?

Any special foot issue trumps the discussion.

What time of year are you walking? Spring, summer, fall or winter?

Spring, well it can be 4 degrees centigrade in the morning and 25+ centigrade during the day. It can be cold all day, several days in a row. OR it might be hot AF. One thing you can almost be certain of is that it will rain. Have you ever walked 6 days in a row with rain on the Camino? I have. So then the decision to make is, do you want to get wet WHILE walking because you don't have GTX or do you want shoes that you risk not getting completely dry for the next day? What is your worst?

Summer will be scorching. Or it won't. It might rain 30 days in a row. It might be cold. But usually though, it will be hot (which is why a lot of people start off 05-06 in the morning or even earlier). But when you reach Galicia, it WILL rain. So, what's worse for you?

Fall, it can be almost as hot as summer or even hotter! Or it might be quite comfortable. It won't really get cold, but yet again it will rain.

Winter? Never ever walk the Camino in winter months (Oct-Feb) without Gore-Tex. Just don't. You can, but, don't.

I feel this also warrants a mention of the running/trail shoes vs hiking boots discussion. Yet again, it is mostly what you are used to that matters. What do you prefer? What is worse, wet while walking or damp in the mornings? It is also much easier finding hiking boots with GTX than running/trail shoes.

Personally I have never, ever ever ever had any problem walking or hiking with GTX in ANY type of condition. I have walked over the mountains into Oviedo in a 35 degree heatwave. and I have walked into Foncebadón in a snowstorm with 20 cm snow on the ground. I have also trudged along the Meseta between Burgos and Leon in mud.

Sometimes you can struggle to get your GTX boots completely dry by the morning, but a few hours of walking and a good temperature day, aring them out while earing lunch, have a change of socks etc and they will dry out before lunch. But I prefer damp shoes to completely drenched ones. GTX stays drier for longer AND it keeps mud out. Regular running shoes and you will get mud into them along with the water.

I prefer mid hiking boot style footwear, not low running type shoes. If you do the whole Camino, your ankles WILL tire and boots do provide better support and you will feel more secure in your footing. Weight also plays a role here. Do you want to Gung-Ho it with everything in your backpack or do you want to send some of your stuff ahead to the next Albergue? The more weight on your back, the more you will feel the uneven surface and those rock under your foot. Many of the trail shoe type do offer a better sole than normal running shoes, BUT they are usually made for trail RUNNING with little or no weight on your back. They are also usually not made for 10+ day adventures.

DON'T wear old style leather boots, with or without GTX. UNLESS you are used to hiking in them. They weigh A TON. Are even HARDER to dry out....and then weigh even more. AND are usually too stiff, bot in the boot and the sole. You need something that is a bit softer on the sole so you don't tire out as fast.

The Camino is not a mountain trek. Yes, day one you go straight UP from SJPDP and then straight down to Roncesvalles, but that is about it. There is a hill or two on the Meseta, but it is on gravel road. Then it's quite arduous up to Foncebadon if you are not used to stuff like that and equally hard down. There is another climb up to Alto do San Roque, but once you enter Galicia it's mostly fine. 70% of the camino is completely flat. 20% is slight elevation change and 10% is more strenuous. But 60% is on nice gravel paths, 30% is on asfalt and 10% is good trails (unless it has been raining a lot).

It all depends on what you prefer really. No GTX and you will get wet when it rains and it WILL rain. They dry out faster, but if it's days on end with rain, even they won't get dry enough. GTX will many times not dry out, but you will never feel cold because of it. Mud inside your shoes is also an issue. If you wear low shoes, you can carry less stuff on your back. Higher (mid) boot type will enable you to walk for longer before your feet tire. They have a tougher sole so you feel less of the rocks and stones, which will become a problem if you have a heavier backpack. A mid GTX type boot is also sturdier than a trail type shoe. The recommended average lifespan of trail shoes is actually SHORTER than the whole Camino.

Most importantly, find footwear that fits. Most people don't have an issue there, everything sort of fits. I blame the Bell Curve. If you are like me, an outlier, you need to spend some more time finding the right type.

In the end, you can't really walk the entire Camino with one pair of boots or shoes anyway. You need to have another pair for walking around after you are finished for the day. How are you going to dry your boots if you're always wearing them? Your feet also needs rest. Have a pair of GTX as your main shoe and pair of non-GTX for "leisure" time. These you can also use for walking the Camino also.

GTX isn't really such a big problem as a lot of people make it out to be. Your feet won't die from heatstroke. Walking around in the rain, on a muddy path with 9kg on your back in "running shoes" is a much bigger issue. If it NEVER rained, then no, you wouldn't need GTX. But I can GUARANTEE it WILL RAIN. The question is rather how much and how often it will rain and what time of the year will you be walking. Summer will be safer with non-GTX as it won't be so cold that wet shoes is a problem.

Buen Camino!

I nearly lost my two baby toes because my expensive Goretex Boots shrunk after drying. Blisters formed and despite topical treatment serious infection set in. No Goretex ever again on long hikes for me.
That has more to do with wrong type of boots/wrong size of boots than with the GoreTex. Synthetic boots doesn't shrink (and doesn't expand much either). Leather might shrink or become stiffer after it has dried, but stretches more during the day. Feet will swell when you walk several days in a row, some feet will swell A LOT. Lengthwise AND in width.

You need to make allowances for up to 1-1.5 in size variation as you walk the Camino. Thicker socks in the beginning, thinner for when your feet are bigger.

For me the best is no waterproof shoe! I use hoka bondi, wide, one size larger to account for swelling and breathing. If wet conditions I put on waterproof socks. This combination has worked for me over many caminos with no blisters and great comfort
I don't understand waterproof socks. Why?

I agree with the critics above. I think Gore-Tex is basically a fraud. Water gets in but doesn't get out, and on top of that the shoe is hotter.

Really?

I wear gore-tex boots on Camino.

No water gets in.........at all.

Also never had blisters, re earlier posts.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

€149,-
Sealskinz or Dexshell are the ones I know. Dexshell cost a lot less here (in Australia) and seem just as good. They come in a wool lined version and also a cool max type of liner. But I don’t rely on that; I usually wear a pair of soft thin merino socks as an extra liner.

What type of ankle guards did you use?

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.