• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Goretex Boots/Shoes and Jacket

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

Looking for your thoughts before making a few significant purchases. By way of background my camino will span 100 days from Aug to early Nov ending in Finisterre.

Goretex Boots/Shoes

Based on my review of previous posts I chose a pair of Pategonia Drifter walking shoes. So far I have been very satisfied with them from a comfort standpoint with one exception. When walking through wet conditions I find the shoes take a fairly long time to dry i.e. overnight doesn't do it.

I am also concerned that the distance of my camino will mean that I am likely to wear out the walking shoes before ending the pilgrimage. The thought has occured to me that I should consider purchasing a second pair of goretex walking shoes and bring both pairs with me for the above reasons.

Your thoughts? Is the extra weight worth it?

Goretex rain jacket vs. rain poncho

I am trying to choose between a light weight Goretex rain jacket and rain pants vs. a rain poncho such as the Altus. I am leaning towards the Goretex rain jacket as it will serve a dual purpose of having a jacket for colder evenings.

Again your comments are welcome.

Thanks

Guy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
GuyA said:
... Pategonia Drifter walking shoes.....I am also concerned that the distance of my camino will mean that I am likely to wear out the walking shoes before ending the pilgrimage.
....rain jacket and rain pants vs. a rain poncho such as the Altus.
Hi Guy, my wife wore Patagonia Nomads from SJPP - SDC - she is wearing the same boots again in two weeks Lourdes -SDC, the Patagonia vibram soles on these are great. So if they have a similar vibram sole I don't think you will need a second pair.
Last time we took rain jackets & pants (non gortex) and used ultra-sil poncho for heavy rain, this time we are taking the Altus rain Poncho, mainly due to the good reviews of others on this forum.
Buen Camino
Col

GuyA:
by the time you finish your shoes should not be worn out, but nicely worn in!
Altus poncho is a pretty good compromise as it is quite heavy duty. But any poncho which is sufficiently long and has the seams sealed (unless you are willing to do this yourself) will do the trick. If you just have rain jacket and trousers and it rains for seven hours then water will get down that gap between your backpack and back and find a way of seeping into your pack.
Unless you are actually going to be walking mid-winter, a medium fleece should be all you need to keep you warm. You can always put on everything else underneath it if necessary.
Cheers, tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Balance trainers on an SL-2 shoe last are great for walking and they dry out overnight.
I've walked the Camino in very wet conditions and had dry shoes each morning, in fact, usually within a couple of hours.

But I've said that about a kazillion times on this forum... :roll:

Hi Guy, I'm not familiar with your particular shoes but find that it doesn't really matter if the shoes aren't completely dry when you set off in the morning. As long as your socks are dry the shoes feel OK once you get over the initial "yuk" when you put them on. If it rains for days on end they're just going to get wet again anyway.

I used to go with a jacket and pack cover but now prefer to use a poncho. They're easy to put on and off if rain is intermittent, keep your pack drier than a pack cover does, weigh less and take up less room than the combination of the jacket/waterproof pants/pack cover.

Anniesantiago said:
New Balance trainers on an SL-2 shoe last are great for walking and they dry out overnight.
I've walked the Camino in very wet conditions and had dry shoes each morning, in fact, usually within a couple of hours.

But I've said that about a kazillion times on this forum... :roll:

And I'm so glad you did! I bought New Balance a few weeks ago and have done some short training walks (4.5 and 6.5 miles with pack at 13.5) - I love them. My feet love them. I haven't tested them in wet (or muddy!) conditions yet, but will do -- if we ever get some rain. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

Once again many thanks for your comments...hope the veterans realize that sharing your experiences is invaluable for us newbies/dreamers!

Have ordered the Altus poncho, ditched the idea of a second pair of shoes and will be taking a hard look at the New Balance shoes (hopefully I can find them in my home town).

If the actual Camino walking experience is even half the fun than preparing for it is then it really is something to look forward to!

Thanks

Guy

Yes, Guy. The Altus is not only waterproof but stable in wind. Most others are not.

Even though I'm a winter/spring walker, I prefer to get my feet and ankles wet, and avoid wrestling with multiple pieces of clothing + pack-cover. One pair of comfy shoes that you know should see you through, and, if you get into trouble, you can always buy a good pair of shoes in Spain. I saw heaps of reasonable outlets in Spanish towns. Of course, the shoes you know and trust are the best option.

Remember: if it gets cold, you should be wearing, not carrying, clothes. Every garment's a layer, or it's an at-home stayer!

I'm mainly just agreeing with others, but I hope this helps.

Buen Camino

Rob

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.