• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gossamer Gear backpack options

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hello!

I am walking the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 for 14 days.

I’ve done a fairly exhaustive search for a backpack that was lightweight and would easily pass carry-on regulations.

I’ve narrowed it down to Gossamer Gear backpacks and would love input on if you’ve had experience with them, which would work well, and which would be overkill.

FYI, I’ve never done a long through-hike before like the Camino, so while im hoping to travel light (try to keep it 10% of my body weight - 15 lbs), I’m not very experienced. I’m mindful of the Primitivo being unpredictable weather-wise and should plan to pack for that. I should mention that I’m also packing a small travel camera.

G4-20 Ultralight Backpack (30 L in main compartment and 12 L supposedly in exterior mesh pockets)

Gorilla 50 Ultralight backpack (32 L in main compartment and remaining 18 L supposedly from exterior pockets)

Mariposa 60 Backpack (36 L in main compartment and 24 L in exterior pockets)

Thank you for your feedback!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have just invested in the Gorilla 50 for each of us - we are walking the Frances from SJPDP in September and wanted as lightweight pack as possible. We bought my husband's pack first to "road test" it first and he is very pleased with it. He has used it several times now on 10-15km day hikes and says its very comfortable and the harness fits well. He says he has now found the perfect backpack! I've just bought the yellow version (he has the grey) - there is only one UK stockist where it is out of stock but I managed to purchase it from a Swedish outdoor company Backpackinglight.dk - which was incidentally £50 cheaper than the UK stockist, with a very reasonable £10 shipping fee and and no customs charges. I'm about to walk the Portugues in a few weeks so shall be putting it through its paces then. But my initial view is that its very well made, very lightweight, and the design is simple but well designed. The exterior pockets are extremely roomy - perfect for water bottles or stashing a jacket.

The Gorilla 50, whilst a 50l capacity backpack, can comfortably work as a 35 - 40l pack as it is a "tube" type shape and you just just fold down whatever is left after filling it and then clip the straps and adjust accordingly.

I'm a fan of the G4-20. The additional 12L is handy. The 30L should do you fine for the required kit. I start my Camino end of March and that is what I will be bringing along!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm a fan of the G4-20. The additional 12L is handy. The 30L should do you fine for the required kit. I start my Camino end of March and that is what I will be bringing along!

Thank you, both. Before posting this message I was initially thinking either the G4-20 or the Gorilla 50 would be the sweet spot. I guess it’s a question of whether the extra L would be helpful.

Hello!

I am walking the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 for 14 days.

I’ve done a fairly exhaustive search for a backpack that was lightweight and would easily pass carry-on regulations.

I’ve narrowed it down to Gossamer Gear backpacks and would love input on if you’ve had experience with them, which would work well, and which would be overkill.

FYI, I’ve never done a long through-hike before like the Camino, so while im hoping to travel light (try to keep it 10% of my body weight - 15 lbs), I’m not very experienced. I’m mindful of the Primitivo being unpredictable weather-wise and should plan to pack for that. I should mention that I’m also packing a small travel camera.

G4-20 Ultralight Backpack (30 L in main compartment and 12 L supposedly in exterior mesh pockets)

Gorilla 50 Ultralight backpack (32 L in main compartment and remaining 18 L supposedly from exterior pockets)

Mariposa 60 Backpack (36 L in main compartment and 24 L in exterior pockets)

Thank you for your feedback!
Last fall, I used the Kumo 36 (20oz) for the Norte & Ingles. I have used an Osprey Talon 33(under 2 lbs) on previous caminos- also a good pack but slightly heavier
I used several ultralight dry bags to separate my gear inside. Since there is no internal frame, I relied on these stuffed dry bags along with the back pad to make a nice solid pack structure.
The side, back, strap and waist pockets are extremely useful for easy access rain gear/cold weather/hydration during the day.
The neck pocket needs improvement - low capacity.
I replaced the foam pad with a folded 1/8” closed foam cell pad. It was cushier and didn’t absorb sweat or water and could act as a seat, or possible sleeping pad if I had to bivy. The waist band & shoulder straps were comfortable as well.
Buen Camino

If you are confident in dialing in your packing list, you could also have a look at the 36L Kumo. This does not have a frame, but if packed right thats not much of an issue.
I walked my first camino with the even lighter Murmur, which really cuts down on anything (ca 375g) and was fine for most days. Just a few days i missed the padding on the straps, so my next camino will be with a slightly heavier pack (around 500g).
Anyways, both the Gorilla and the Mariposa are well recommended and well tested packs, if you feel you need the features, i guess you can't go wrong with either.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have only used Osprey packs with the trampoline style back and have been very satisfied, but I must admit that the huge mesh pouches on those Gossamer Gear packs look awesome indeed and quite tempting; they are the biggest ones I've seen so far.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The GG mesh is super stretchy—it makes the exterior pockets extremely useful. I have backpacked in the NoCal Sierra with the Mariposa and Gorilla, taking full cooking and sleeping gear and shelter/tent. As you don’t need these items for the Camino, the Gorilla should be plenty large.

As others have stated, however, the Kumo may be an even better option. I tried out an inexpensive REI pack on the Caminho Português last fall, due to airline requirements. The Kumo is likely going with me the next time.

I have Kumo 36 of Gossamer Gear and have walked with it different sections of the Frances, Mozarabe, and VDLP. I am very happy with it, light and easy to operate. I want to walk as light as possible.

Oh man after reading this I realize that I NEED a new backpack 🎒. I didn’t realize this until just now! I’m sure Dawn will understand…after all my backpack Osprey 48l is 9 years old and well we all need something new sometimes..so will be pouring over the Gossamer Gear website for fun!

Guy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like the Osprey’s mesh back as I find that any pack that sits tight against my back causes heavy sweat. Also if the Gossamer is frameless how does the hip belt support the weight without slumping down and putting weight on the shoulders?

Feedback?

The g4-20 has a sit pad that acts much like a support. It can be taken out but I never have done so. The sit pad prevents sweating regardless of the fact that it is frameless. Highly recommended. One of my sons through-hiked the AT and took a look at my G4-20 - he loved it.

I like the Osprey’s mesh back as I find that any pack that sits tight against my back causes heavy sweat. Also if the Gossamer is frameless how does the hip belt support the weight without slumping down and putting weight on the shoulders?

Feedback?
Yes. What @stevepjq said. Some GG packs have a type of frame too. They also publish weight limits. Stay within those limits (or slightly over, in my experience), and they work fine. I, too, liked the Osprey’s back—until I tried lighter packs.

You might also look at the Six Moon Designs Swift X. Treeline published a great review comparing it with the Mariposa, etc. Still, the capacity of these packs is greater than needed on the Camino. The Kumo is a great size for people not carrying tents, cooking gear, filtration, sleeping bags and pads, bear canisters, and food.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh man after reading this I realize that I NEED a new backpack 🎒. I didn’t realize this until just now! I’m sure Dawn will understand…after all my backpack Osprey 48l is 9 years old and well we all need something new sometimes..so will be pouring over the Gossamer Gear website for fun!

Guy
Yes! Check the weight on the newer packs, and you’ll be sold. You can save pounds before loading anything—leaving more than enough capacity for a luxury item.

Feedback?
If you want a lightweight pack with the mesh trampoline style back look at Zpacks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another vote here for the Kumo 36 - at 23 ounces what's not to like?
I modified mine to be more like an internal frame pack by inserting a piece of rigid ABS the same size as the foam, between the foam and the pack body. Much improved! Now I don't have to worry about how I pack it.
Recommend this mod if you're up for it. Even if you don't it's a bomber with pockets everywhere - and it's light!

I'm Osprey fan, but for my first Comino (starting on April 30 in Porto) I wanted something light, so I'm very excited about Gossamer Gear G4-20

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We have just invested in the Gorilla 50 for each of us - we are walking the Frances from SJPDP in September and wanted as lightweight pack as possible. We bought my husband's pack first to "road test" it first and he is very pleased with it. He has used it several times now on 10-15km day hikes and says its very comfortable and the harness fits well. He says he has now found the perfect backpack! I've just bought the yellow version (he has the grey) - there is only one UK stockist where it is out of stock but I managed to purchase it from a Swedish outdoor company Backpackinglight.dk - which was incidentally £50 cheaper than the UK stockist, with a very reasonable £10 shipping fee and and no customs charges. I'm about to walk the Portugues in a few weeks so shall be putting it through its paces then. But my initial view is that its very well made, very lightweight, and the design is simple but well designed. The exterior pockets are extremely roomy - perfect for water bottles or stashing a jacket.

The Gorilla 50, whilst a 50l capacity backpack, can comfortably work as a 35 - 40l pack as it is a "tube" type shape and you just just fold down whatever is left after filling it and then clip the straps and adjust accordingly.
Agree about the roll down, gives capacity if needed

I ordered a G4-20 and it is due to today. I'll be taking it to Yellowstone in a few weeks and I'll and I'll post a follow up after the trip.

This post is for the shorties out there…I just got a Gossmer Gorilla on Saturday and will be returning it today. The specs say a small will fit torsos from 11 to 17 inches. My torso is only 14 and the pack did not come close to fitting. Meanwhile, I went to REI and got a perfect fitting Mystery Ranch Scree 32. Interesting company with roots in military gear (Dane Designs) and now make consumer stuff under the Mystery Ranch label. Favorite features: patented Futura Yoke easily micro adjusts to the torso length allowing the proper amount of stand-off between the back and frame, and 3-zip access to the interior. Pack weighs just 2.8 lbs, so while not ultralight it is still on the lighter side but with lots of back support.
I took it out for a 10k test walk yesterday with a 13 lbs (plus pack) and it felt great! I will be selling my old Osprey Sirrus, which has too wide of an aluminum frame for small bodies and it has been painfully rubbing right where hip meets the back.
Can’t wait to get to the Norte next month!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My torso is only 14

Who assessed, or how, was you spinal/torso length assessed? I am curious because that issue with the Gossamer Gear pack should not have occurred. When you stated that the fit was not even close, what was it that didn't fit correctly?

Again, my questions are out of concern about the quality control of the company, and not a challenge to what you observed. Also, which Gorilla model was it? Did you also order it with the small size hipbelt rather than the medium size that automatically is include unless specified differently?

Regardless, that Mystery Ranch backpack is a terrific backpack.

Last edited:
Just an offer to folks that are unsure about a backpack fitting correctly. If you feel that I may be able to offer assistance, you can contact me through the PM function here, or preferably, at the email address that is specifically for members of this Forum. dave1bugg@gmail.com

This is a separate email account from my private and business accounts, so there have never been security concerns at all. So if I can help, just holler. :)

Who assessed, or how, was you spinal/torso length assessed? I am curious because that issue with the Gossamer Gear pack should not have occurred. When you stated that the fit was not even close, what was it that didn't fit correctly?

Again, my questions are out of concern about the quality control of the company, and not a challenge to what you observed. Also, which Gorilla model was it? Did you also order it with the small size hipbelt rather than the medium size that automatically is include unless specified differently?

Regardless, that Mystery Ranch backpack is a terrific backpack.
Dave, thanks for all your great advice. I always read your posts to see what I can learn.

My torso length was measured at home per the instructions you cited in the previous post using a cloth measuring tape. I am confident that the torso measurement is correct. However, I have had it measured before at REI when I bought my Osprey Sirrus. That backpack was really close to a fit for me for torso length, but the shape of the frame was not a good fit for my body shape because my hips must be too narrow for it.
The only thing I can say about the Gossmer quality control is that their sizing chart might be a bit misleading. For a small it gives these specs:
"Small 17.25” (11.5" - 15.5" torso)
(29 - 39 cm)
Generally fits people 5'6" and under"

I'm only 5'1. I got the small hip belt from Gossmer--it fit great--but when I positioned it properly on my hips, the shoulder harness tightened an appropriate amount by pulling straight down with my torso upright after the hip belt was in place still had about a 3/4 to 1" gap above and behind my shoulders. Additionally the shoulder harness, in that position, hugged my neck too close for comfort. So lesson learned...ultralight is attractive, but super light doesn't necessarily give the best result.
Hats off to Steve the wise pack-fitter at the big REI in Denver. I wore my Osprey pack in fully loaded so he could see what was ailing me. Fortunately the Mystery Ranch was in stock. (Only 3 weeks until my departure!) I have now carried it with 15 lbs on five 10K training hikes and am loving this pack.

If ever in doubt, go see a pack fitter, and be as specific as possible about what you like and don't like so they can help you dial in to the best option for you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dave, thanks for all your great advice. I always read your posts to see what I can learn.

My torso length was measured at home per the instructions you cited in the previous post using a cloth measuring tape. I am confident that the torso measurement is correct. However, I have had it measured before at REI when I bought my Osprey Sirrus. That backpack was really close to a fit for me for torso length, but the shape of the frame was not a good fit for my body shape because my hips must be too narrow for it.
The only thing I can say about the Gossmer quality control is that their sizing chart might be a bit misleading. For a small it gives these specs:
"Small 17.25” (11.5" - 15.5" torso)
(29 - 39 cm)
Generally fits people 5'6" and under"

I'm only 5'1. I got the small hip belt from Gossmer--it fit great--but when I positioned it properly on my hips, the shoulder harness tightened an appropriate amount by pulling straight down with my torso upright after the hip belt was in place still had about a 3/4 to 1" gap above and behind my shoulders. Additionally the shoulder harness, in that position, hugged my neck too close for comfort. So lesson learned...ultralight is attractive, but super light doesn't necessarily give the best result.
Hats off to Steve the wise pack-fitter at the big REI in Denver. I wore my Osprey pack in fully loaded so he could see what was ailing me. Fortunately the Mystery Ranch was in stock. (Only 3 weeks until my departure!) I have now carried it with 15 lbs on five 10K training hikes and am loving this pack.

If ever in doubt, go see a pack fitter, and be as specific as possible about what you like and don't like so they can help you dial in to the best option for you.

Thank you for the info. Gossamer Gear does, frustratingly, list a general range of heights to match their recommendations, which are based off of torso lengths. A person 5' 1" tall is at a size where recommendations must take a backseat to actual stated measurements. At smaller heights - and this can apply to those who are very tall - there can be other factors than just the torso length that need to be double checked when trying out a backpack.

My wife had a similar issue with two Gossamer Gear models. Body types cannot be measured and matched automatically, there are too many variations to account for. Jill ended up feeling most comfortable with the Gregory Jade after ordering and sending back three backpack brands and at least 6 models within those brands.

I applaud you for being selective and knowing what you wanted. I know the Denver store, and the salespeople have done a great job when I have seen them with customers.

Not that it matters now, but boy would would I have loved to have tried some tweaks I know that may have made a difference with the Gorilla- - or maybe not. But you have a backpack you love and THAT's what counts.
Dave

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.