• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gossamer Gear G4-20 Review

ClaytonR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Pimitivo
I recently ordered a new Gossamer Gear G4-20 backpack with the intention of using it next Spring on the Camino. This was my first experience with an ultralight frameless backpack. I just returned from a week of backpacking in Yellowstone NP and I used the G4-20 exclusively. I ordered the "Feedbag" accessory that attaches to the pack straps and I used it for a bear spray canister. I also purchased the Lightrek Hiking Umbrella which I carried attached to the side of the pack.

When I received the pack I was immediately weirded out by the lack of structure. I played around with packing methods and found that by not compressing my down jacket and other soft items I was able to get the pack filled out a bit. I was very skeptical when I departed for the trip. I did several hikes including an 11 mile backcountry hike, often off-trail. I was carrying relatively light loads of around 10-14 pounds, using water bottles in the side pockets.

Conclusions? I love this pack. I literally forgot I was wearing one, which in my mind is the highest praise I can give a pack. It was so comfortable with the lighter loads I was carrying it just disappeared. I flew down trails dodging bison and bears and had a blast. I struggled a bit getting water bottles in and out of the side pockets while wearing the pack, but I can easily rectify this with a longer water bottle. It had more than enough volume for an extended day hike, swallowing down and rain jackets, water shoes, food, bear spray, first aid kits etc. I think it's going to be a perfect choice for the Camino for me.

I may try to stiffen the back a bit with a different back pad, but beyond that it's perfect. It looks like a lump when sitting on the ground, but comes through on my back and that's what matters.

IMG_3034.JPG
G4-20.jpg

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Nice write up, Clayton. I noted that was the first extended use of a frameless backpack? There is a bit of experimenting that many folks do on first use, while discovering what packing method works best for them. I agree that for a smaller frameless backpack it is a good choice for the weight that you carried.

Thanks for your review, which prompted a visit to the GG website for more detail. Iā€™m impressed with the thoughtful improvements that GG has made to their packs over the years. We dumped our heavy packs for the early GVP Gear pack and then have stayed with the first edition of the Mariposa, Your pack is tempting, but Iā€™m afraid our Mariposa packs still have life left in them. One small point. I assume that your pack has a strong lifting strap, which isnā€™t displayed in GG website. I regard that as an essential component of the pack since it helps extend the life of the straps.. As a young boy I was taught the ā€œproperā€ way to put on a pack, a Duluth pack with leather straps, which was to face the straps, pick it up by the ā€œearsā€ (canvas bag top), lift it up onto a bent knee, grab the strap opposing the knee with the arm on that side, and then thread the other arm and shoulder through that strap and around down to the bottom of the pack. With the hand supporting the bottom of the pack, swing the pack around onto your back, thread the other arm through the remaining strap while straightening up. No stress on the pack or your back. Hope this isnā€™t too confusing, or presumptuous. A broken leather strap with many portages and many days to go on a canoe trip was to be avoided. I see most hikers slinging their packs on by grabbing one strap. Strap failure is the only pack problem that Iā€˜ve observed with other hikers. And even with the graceful, low stress method described above using the lifting strap, the only minimal repairs needed on our old Mariposa packs has been to reinforce the strap stitching. (Bring a needle and use dental floss. No weight penalty} I enjoy the way a good piece of equipment recedes in importance, once under way. Have a wonderful journey.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Did you get a sweaty back?

Did you feel the (admittedly little) weight was on your shoulders or on your hips?

I have a couple of frameless sacks which I persist in trying because so many are convinced of their merits; but itā€™s an uphill battle for me.

I do not find any real merit in a frameless backpack over an internal framed pack. When comparing the larger and more fully featured Gorilla 50 internal frame with full hipbelt, to the G4-20 smaller frameless backpack, there is only a 4 oz difference. A weight difference that is more to differences in volume capacity than anything els.

For a light daypack or for those that are looking to save every ounce and do not need the flexibility, hipbelt, and space of the Gorilla, the G4 will do a fine job. But my choice personally will be the Gorilla regardless of the amount or weight carried on a long walk or backpacking trip.

Individual comfort and aesthetics and usability are not able to be objectively quantified. One person's nirvana is another person's hades. :)

Clayton, you mentioned trying to stiffen the pack. The early Glen Van Peski pack used 4 folds of a Zrest pad. I stiffened that with two wood arrow shafts (Port Orford Cedar) placed between the outside folds. That was an easy improvement with available materials that held up just fine. However, with my large size pack and the design of the waist belt , that modification didnā€™t transfer load from the waist belt very well compared with my wifeā€™s small pack. Any way, our much better designed, early Mariposa has two composite rods serving a similar function, probably fiberglass. Carbon fiber salvaged golf club shafts would work too if you go that route. You probably have already discovered that stuffing your sleeping bag behind a roll of your spare clothing gives helpful shape to the bottom of the pack where it rests in the small of your back. I think the minimal structure from the arrow shafts were also a modest benefit when packing up the empty sack. Happy trials.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.