• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Got home and received medical bill, how to pay?

Dogmom0926

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
I received a bill for my ER visit from 4 months ago and I'm wondering how to pay it. I see an option for a bank transfer but when I took the bill to my bank they said there wasn't enough information on the bill to do a wire transfer and an international wire transfer is $45 (my bill is only 74 euros). Is there another way I can pay this? I looked up international money orders online and it looks like Spain doesn't take them. Has anybody gotten a medical bill once you got home and if so how did you end up paying for it? They sent it via registered letter so it seems like they are serious about getting paid.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have had medical bills from France. Fortunately my wife has fluent French: she telephoned the hospital and was able to pay by credit card.

I have had medical bills from France. Fortunately my wife has fluent French: she telephoned the hospital and was able to pay by credit card.
Thanks. I was wondering if you could pay buy credit card. The bill doesn't seem to indicate this as an option. Here there would be a box to fill in with your number and you could mail it back. My mom used to work at a hospital and is friends with a Spanish translator so I might be able to get her to help me out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I received a bill from Leon University Hospital for an emergency treatment and paid using a cashier's check from my bank in U.S dollars at the exchange rate of the day I purchased the check. I don't think they mind if it is a few dollars short due to fluctuation of the exchange rate. I think they are grateful that you paid. The way things are going, the exchange rate maybe at their favor while the check is in transit. I was more than happy to pay the bill which seems to me very reasonable ($134) for the treatment I received.

I received a bill for my ER visit from 4 months ago and I'm wondering how to pay it. I see an option for a bank transfer but when I took the bill to my bank they said there wasn't enough information on the bill to do a wire transfer and an international wire transfer is $45 (my bill is only 74 euros). Is there another way I can pay this? I looked up international money orders online and it looks like Spain doesn't take them. Has anybody gotten a medical bill once you got home and if so how did you end up paying for it? They sent it via registered letter so it seems like they are serious about getting paid.
Usually the most important piece of info your bank needs, is the physical address of the bank in Spain.

We got a bill from Leon's health services months ago and have not yet figured out how to pay. They accept cash, checks or bank transfers. They do not accept credit cards (I've asked.) They almost supply enough information for the bank transfer but what they don't supply is the name of the PERSON getting the money. In the U.S. this is required (I suppose to counter money laundering.) I've emailed the health service a number of times about this but I never get a usable answer.

I THINK that in the E.U. bank transfers are free or low cost but I've run into the same $40 or so fee requirement from my bank. However Western Union will do a transfer using your credit card for about $10 (online). I keep running into the name requirement issue though even when trying to get a paper check to physically mail (at about the same $40 cost.)

Calls to the local Spanish consulate for information go unanswered. Stopping by there recently when nearby I found the office closed after 1:00 (Of course! Spain.)

Peg and I marvel at the health service received but the billing is a real mess. By the way, when in Astorga Peg had to stay off her feet for a few days so I went to the tourist office to find out where I could rent a wheelchair so we could tour the town. There was no place. I suppose if you need one in Spain the health service issues you one. The tourist office contacted the Red Cross and they delivered one for a few days for free (donation accepted and given.)

Rick

P.S. This is my first forum post. My account isn't even quite setup yet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Perhaps a good moment to remind Europeans from within the EEC to get an EHIC card (European Health Insurance Card) which is free and enables EEC residents to get free health care.

I do not understand why an individual person's name is required as recipient. You are making a payment to a corporate entity. This is no different to making a payment for goods or services purchased over the Internet, except that you are making payment after receipt.

I'm sure that Western Union (other international money transfer organisations exist) would deal with this at their usual rates and you can forward a copy of the transfer receipt to the relevant authority as proof of payment.

I received a E115 bill from Leon University Hospital for emergency treatment. I got that sum in cash in Euros from my local bank. I mailed the cash to Spain. It was received w/o any problem.

I might not have done that had the bill been much higher!

(BTW, the treatment I received was world-class.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In 2014, my wife needed treatment for blisters and we used the ER at Pamplona. We tried to pay that day but we were told ( via translation software on a computer) that they could not take the payment....they would send us the bill. Two months later the bill arrived. The cost was about 70 euros. Our bank in Canada was able to wire the payment to the hospital with the info provided --no names, just an invoice number. The transaction was pricey ( $30 Cdn) but the payment went through.
I would expect that a bank draft purchased in euros would suffice.

I received a E115 bill from Leon University Hospital for emergency treatment. I got that sum in cash in Euros from my local bank. I mailed the cash to Spain. It was received w/o any problem.

I might not have done that had the bill been much higher!

(BTW, the treatment I received was world-class.)
Had I known what I was about to go through in my attempt to pay them, I certainly would have done the same. I was fortunate that in the end, my bank waived the $45 fee because they knew the time and money I had already put into my 'due diligence'. But the care I received was more than satisfactory. They were great. And then little Spanish I had learned certainly helped.

Our bank in Canada was able to wire the payment to the hospital with the info provided --no names, just an invoice number. The transaction was pricey ( $30 Cdn) but the payment went through.

My bank was also very happy that there was a SWIFT number on the invoice. I have no idea what it's for but they were happy.

Ron

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife has used medical services in Spain, France and Portugal, including Xray, Doctors, stitches, injections, perscriptions, on and on, the cost compared to the U.S. were always minimal, which we paid at the time. When we returned to the U.S. we sent the bill to our health insurance company and they reimbursed us in total. It has never been a problem.

Have you checked with your bank to see if you could buy Euro travelers checks? I'd think the hospital would accept them as they are considered the same as cash, but safer to send in the mail.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 2014, my wife needed treatment for blisters and we used the ER at Pamplona. We tried to pay that day but we were told ( via translation software on a computer) that they could not take the payment....they would send us the bill. Two months later the bill arrived. The cost was about 70 euros. Our bank in Canada was able to wire the payment to the hospital with the info provided --no names, just an invoice number. The transaction was pricey ( $30 Cdn) but the payment went through.
Not sure why you were unable to pay the account "on the spot . I attended the Salamanca University Hospital back in May 2013. They gave me an invoice at the conclusion of the treatment. I came back later in the day with the E104.30. Yes the account did have the bank transfer/BSB details but they were more than happy to take the cash " on the spot" .
So a word of warning - if you attend a Spanish ER and are not an EU citizen - ask for an account and try to arrange to pay before you leave Spain. Cheers :rolleyes::);)

Last edited:
Have you checked with your bank to see if you could buy Euro travelers checks? I'd think the hospital would accept them as they are considered the same as cash, but safer to send in the mail.

Brilliant idea BShea! Thank you.

Since I live near a big city I shouldn't have a problem getting traveler checks in euros.

So this looks like the plan: Get the checks and send letter/email to the health service that traveler check numbers A-C are being sent by mail to pay bill number D. Put a copy of that letter in with the traveler checks so cashier is on warning that the checks are not for personal use. If the checks do not get cashed or if they are cashed and the bill still is not paid then I contact the check issuer and the health service.

Like on a regular check, there is a "pay to the order of" line where you can put the hospital's name. This should keep someone from personally cashing them. That said, I think I would take a photo copy of the checks showing they were made out to the hospital before sending them along, just in case you need to make a claim.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife has used medical services in Spain, France and Portugal, including Xray, Doctors, stitches, injections, perscriptions, on and on, the cost compared to the U.S. were always minimal, which we paid at the time. When we returned to the U.S. we sent the bill to our health insurance company and they reimbursed us in total. It has never been a problem.
I put in a claim with the holder of my medical insurance and in turn received a 12 page form to fill out!. Because my bill wasn't a large amount, I opted to pay myself then claim it on my tax return.

I would like to thank the Portuguese and Spanish doctors and assistance for the excellent care provided to my wife's poor battered feet. We paid for the dressings with cash and the help with gratitude......... Willy/Utah/USA

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would like to thank the Portuguese and Spanish doctors and assistance for the excellent care provided to my wife's poor battered feet. We paid for the dressings with cash and the help with gratitude......... Willy/Utah/USA
I walked 800 kms in gratitude…. Those of us who received medical bills, there was no system whereby to pay cash, so we waited for bills. It really depends on where you are getting treatment. As I said in earlier posts. my treatment was wonderful and I was more than grateful. It just took two months to pay it. Their choice…note mine.

Interesting thread. We met plenty of pilgrims who told us they were charged nothing for medical care on the Camino. I wonder if they received bills after getting home. I had two experiences. Attended clinic in Fromista, during "pilgrim hours" and had to pay e76 cash up front to see a doctor. Turns out they couldn't do anything as the nearest xray was 55k away, still was charged the e76. This was in Sept and I still haven't received reimbursement from my insurance co. At the hospital in Sarria I was told in order to see a doctor, to expect a bill in excess of e300 when I returned home. I decided it wasn't worth it, as it was a pre-exisiting injury not covered by insurance, but the dr saw me briefly for free. These experiences, and talking to others, reinforced for me the necessity for travel medical insurance, however the charges in Spain seemed quite reasonable. Good luck in getting your bill paid, how frustrating.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Believe it or not, there are clinics that do NOT offer cash payment….but I like your idea of return :>)
Yes, go and pay by credit card . . .

What I take home from this conversation is that the medical attention in Spain is very affordable, furthermore they trust us to pay the bill after we are long gone from their country. I'm glad to hear that we all made sure that the bills were paid once we got them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What I take home from this conversation is that the medical attention in Spain is very affordable, furthermore they trust us to pay the bill after we are long gone from their country. I'm glad to hear that we all made sure that the bills were paid once we got them.
Very well stated Christian.

As a followup to my (excellent) care on the Camino, my bill was mailed to me in Canada, so when I received it I purchased the appropriate Euro money order and sent it 'Express" mail with a 'Return Receipt Requested". That was on Dec 8. I just received it today, so just know that things do move slowly, but it does get done.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.