• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Got limited Camino time? Leave out the last 110km!

Then they read about snoring and crowds, and choose a less traveled camino. They don't meet people, walk longer stages, and feel isolated. It really is not that surprising, when you think about it. :)

I think that can still be surprising to someone who doesn't know what to expect. Until you actually get there all the forums and youtube you can watch are still only theoretical, plus you don't know yourself quite how you're going to react.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Has this post 'gone viral'?!?!

I think I get where @H Richards is coming from. That said, I don't think I would advise anyone around it. The camino is a very personal experience, different for every pilgrim.

For me, the most valuable part of the camino is connection: with other pilgrims and local Spaniards. Those 'friendly experiences' seem to diminish the closer you get to Santiago. I chock it up to the Malthusian Effect (on the camino): specifically as more and more people enter a given space, people become less and less friendly to each other. This generalizations most obvious example is the experience of big cities vs. smaller towns.
I live right next to New York City and I don't understand why we get such a bad rap as being unfriendly. With 8,000,000 million people walking around it's very difficult to say hello to everyone lol
If you walk into a bar alone to watch a ballgame or just to have a few drinks, in 10 minutes you will be having a friendly conversation with somebody. ( if you are open to it )
And you can't judge New Yorkers in the tourist locations. Those are not New Yorkers hanging out there.

I live right next to New York City and I don't understand why we get such a bad rap as being unfriendly. With 8,000,000 million people walking around it's very difficult to say hello to everyone lol. .. And you can't judge New Yorkers in the tourist locations. Those are not New Yorkers hanging out there.

So is that 8 billion, or just a regular 8 million?? BTW I love NY City. Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It was freaking lonely a good portion of the time,

I feel like we have let you down. Rest assured that if you had been walking at the same time as us you would have been very welcome to spend as much time as you liked chatting, quaffing, munching apricots, with us as we progressed.
And we would now be friends.

ah well. sometimes thing do not work out as we hope.

Here's a photo that popped up in the Spanish Camino Facebook group this weekend. It's from an article in La Voz de Galicia on the record number of peregrinos this year. If this is the norm for 2017 then I fully understand the OP's advice!

desmadre-camino-900x480.jpg

Here's a photo that popped up in the Spanish Camino Facebook group this weekend. It's from an article in La Voz de Galicia on the record number of peregrinos this year. If this is the norm for 2017 then I fully understand the OP's advice!

View attachment 35033
Yes and no. This was a group making a collective stop. But such groups are not rare. You just notice them even more when they make a collective stop. Imagine what the albergue they stayed in was like that evening. :eek:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

View attachment 35033
Yes that view looks very familiar. This number of people was by no means an exception. Every 30 mins or so they stop to gather the group back together which has stretched out over several hundred meters of the camino. It was like this for much of the first two days out of Sarria until I got out of phase with all the groups, who tend to walk later in the day and from one large town to the next.

Of course they've every bit as much right to be on the camino as I do, but it is very jarring.

[...] You don't like the crowds from Sarria? You want your own perfect, peaceful peregrination? The school groups get up your nose and the bus tours upside your sensibilities? Other peoples' adventures are interfering with yours? Lush. You really need to walk to Santiago.[...]
Another alternative is walking the Coast to Coast trail in Costa Rica - Central America (Atlantic to Pacific oceans) and find few people trudging the tropical forests.;)

The point of a pilgrimage, instead of a hike, and yes, both are valid activities, is to arrive at a place that is sacred to the pilgrim. It is a pilgrimage to a special place and not a hike somewhere along a route. As far as I know the 100km rule has been implemented just before or for the Holy Year of 1993. Buen Camino, SY
Spain is a special place.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wow can't believe this thread went on for so long. My issue with the last 100km is not the crowds direct impact on my travels but the indirect impact. When my wife and I did the Camino Frances we would walk until we were tired , find an alburgue and sleep. We had a loose itinerary and sometimes cut our walk short or extended it to the next town if we were feeling up to it. We never had to worry about getting food or a place to sleep. That last 100km though....groups and the many alburgues and hotels that take reservations brought a rude awakening for us. We walked town to town and no one had a bed, it was June and we were getting tired. We eventually found a bar that had an enterprising owner who had mattresses on a floor in a back room. I left my shoes outside and a dog peed on them,they stank when I put them on the next day! Looking back it's a fun story to tell but at the time, it was a bit more stressful. We had gone 3 weeks without worrying about making reservations or strict plans and suddenly had to adjust due to the number of people on the Camino. My wife's vegetarian so we had limited places to eat, and many places if you didn't get there early would run out of veggie food (usually just Spanish tortilla or a cheese sandwich). And some places were small and would get overwhelmed with visitors and you end up spending 1-2 hours having a meal when you want to walk. Whenever we get back, we will probably still do the last 100km but we will be prepared.

In Finisterre I met a young Malaysian pilgrim-to-be, who hadn't begun yet. She only had about ten days and was going to walk the last nine stages of the Camino, bussing it to her start point. I advised her to avoid Sarria to Santiago and instead do Astorga to Sarria.

For me walking those last 110km was a rude awakening to school party and tour group hell, and was really jarring after such a beautiful previous four weeks. Much of the community spirit seemed to evaporate overnight on leaving Sarria. No-one greeted each other with "Bon Camino" any more, cause there's so many people you'd never stop saying it. We arrived in a Portomarin that had been booked out by school groups who weren't even doing the full Camino, just a two-day hike, but still causing the city to have to open overflow shelters for everyone else.

My point is, when you can experience this sort of crowded touristic hiking anywhere else in the world, why choose to spend half or a third or your limited Camino time doing this bit, just so you can get a certificate? Forgo the compostela and get stuck into the earlier stages, I say, where you're far more likely to have profound personal and spiritual experiences. If you're not doing it for Catholic reasons, I see no reason to see the last 100km as obligatory.

I'm pleased to say she took the advice and had a great time, reporting back that she definitely made the right choice, so I'd like to offer up the idea here to any other future pilgrims who are on a tight time budget :)
I totally agree with this. Last year I started in Pamplona with two friends. We walked for four days and hired a car to get us to the second last stage of the route so my friends could experience walking into Santiago, ( I'd been there a few times having walked the Portuguese Camino, so arriving from a different direction ). The last two days of the French route was a real disappointment compared with our first four days out of Pamplona.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back