• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

Got my first Covid-19 shot!

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Year of past OR future Camino
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
Today I got my first Covid-19 vaccination. In three weeks, I will get the second. It's a robust vaccine, with 95% protection. They don't know, quite yet, whether being vaccinated completely prevents contracting and spreading the virus (even if you don't get sick), so still have to wear a mask and be careful. We also don't know how long the protection will last. But I am relieved to get it! Will have to see how things play out, whether I will be able to walk this Spring.

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Create your own ad
Camino Passport
Original passport made by the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Shipped from Santiago all around the world with DHL.

Raggy

Veteran Member
2017, 2018, 2019
The shot that was heard around the world!
Best news I've heard this week; That's one less person in the queue ahead of me... another billion or so to go. I don't think I've ever been in such a long line before. This must be what Sarria feels like.

nathanael

Frances, Norte, Plata,
Today I got my first Covid-19 vaccination. In three weeks, I will get the second. It's a robust vaccine, with 95% protection. They don't know, quite yet, whether being vaccinated completely prevents contracting and spreading the virus (even if you don't get sick), so still have to wear a mask and be careful. We also don't know how long the protection will last. But I am relieved to get it! Will have to see how things play out, whether I will be able to walk this Spring.
wow lucky you, we have barely started here in Canada and from the looks of it it will 2022 before most of us get the vaccine.

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Good for you. 🙏
When everything is going to plan I got my first shot somewhere in March.

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Cngratulations @JillGat!

In PA, and we are slow in this state with services. Unfortunately, we do not expect shots, till the Spring. Much confusion here. I am hoping a later shot will translate into immunity for a September trek, when I am still somewhat hopeful we may be able to Camino! Nevertheless, we are not yet sure how long the vaccines will protect us all, so we all will need to wear PPE when we travel 2021!

Last edited:

Paladina

old woman of the roads
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
Happy for you! Either you're older or more vulnerable than you look, or your local waiting list is moving fast.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
wow lucky you, we have barely started here in Canada and from the looks of it it will 2022 before most of us get the vaccine.
I think anyone over 60 in Canada will be in line by June or July. We are not as bad as you think given 2 more vaccines are under review and once there are 4 approved vaccines plus 2 more reliable ones lined up for approval thereafter it will go very fast.

basquelady

CF (2013), CF Pamplona to V del Bierzo (2014), Baztanés, then CF (2016), CF Sahagun to SDC (2017)
Husband, aged 81, had his first shot on Dec 20th, Lancaster, UK

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
I am jealous!

Camino Frances 2017
Planning for 2021
Wow, your posts and avatar are totally misleading. I take it you must have underlying conditions which you have never mentioned. I am in group 5 in the UK and have to wait until late March/ late April. So be it, it is extremely important that those most likely to die from C19 complications get protected first along with those front line workers who we depend upon for all illnesses, not just C19. Those who are fit enough and young enough to shake it off just have to wait in a very long line. A bit like crossing the meseta, I know when I leave Burgos that eventually I will get to Astorga but the time it takes tests my patience. The road can be a lot quieter, because so many have jumped ahead.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Happy for you! Either you're older or more vulnerable than you look, or your local waiting list is moving fast.

I'm not sure how I got pushed towards the front of the line. I have no underlying conditions that make me more vulnerable. The online registration asked for work status and I put "retired." For "occupation" I put "Healthcare", which is what I did before I retired. Either that put me at the front of the line or there's some kind of lottery, or the person making the decisions is somebody I slept with when I worked for the Department of Health. :D

Camino Masks

CWBuff

Congrats! Good for you!!!
I am in the same boat as @Marbe2 - MontCo in PA. Not in any group that would be 'expedited' so to speak so just have to keep my fingers x-ed and hope that it will get to me before mid-May (figure I need a week or so before my planned departure of May 20 so I can have all necessary papers ready and hopefully fell good enough to travel)

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
I'm not sure how I got pushed towards the front of the line. I have no underlying conditions that make me more vulnerable. The online registration asked for work status and I put "retired." For "occupation" I put "Healthcare", which is what I did before I retired. Either that put me at the front of the line or there's some kind of lottery, or the person making the decisions is somebody I slept with when I worked for the Department of Health. :D
Maybe they want to call you back!

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
Anyone, anywhere, being vaccinated reduces the overall risk to everyone else, so I’m pleased for you.

I should also be pleased that I’m not in an ‘at risk’ group which qualifies for priority.

If only the plump, balding and pompous were to inherit the earth I’d already have been measured for the crown.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
... somebody I slept with when I worked for the Department of Health. :D
Well done madam! Are you certain you’re not British?

The mother of a good friend of mine couldn’t narrow the paternal candidates down much closer than ‘the brass section of the band of the Grenadier Guards’.

Create your own ad
Camino Masks

Massey

2017 Finisterre, 2018 Sarria, 2018 Francés, 2019 Francés
If you cannot find someone to sleep with another quite legal way to get the vaccine out of turn is to go along to the vaccination centre and wait until they finish. There is always a chance that they have some left over and like frozen chicken they cannot refreeze them and would otherwise would be wasted.This works now but will not work when other vaccines come online

Aragon/CF 08, Arles 10, Le Puy 12, Geneva 14, VdlP 15, Norte/Primitivo 15, VF 17, Levante 18, Moz 19
I will get shot #2 next week, so feel incredibly lucky. But what is important for all of us to remember is what is still unknown. We don't know if being vaccinated will prevent us from being asymptomatic spreaders. That data is not yet available because of how the Modern/Pfizer trials were carried out. So I will continue to hunker down, post vaccination, until Dr. Fauci tells us it is safe enough to go to the store instead of doing curbside, safe enough to enter the post office where some people don't wear masks, safe enough to have gatherings inside with non "pod" members, safe enough to travel for reasons that are not essential, etc etc. We all need to protect one another. And that means no camino until at least the fall of 2021, and more likely it will be 2022. And when 2022 arrives, will we figure out that actually it will be 2023? My being more protected is wonderful, and I am grateful, but we will still need to consider the safety of the larger community.

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Gosh it’s wonderful that we on the Forum are able to share such great news - the long-awaited vaccines are happening! It’s a kind of miracle that it’s happened so quickly but of course it’s down to the extraordinary commitment on the part of all those who worked so selflessly to get the vaccines rolling out.
Best wishes and Buen Camino from Oz -
Jenny

Camino Masks
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

4 Eyes

CF from SJPP 14, VDLP from Seville 15, DN&P from Irun 16, Portuguese from Lisbon 17, CF from SJPP 18
They are trying to get health care professionals out of retirement to help. That may be why?

Camino Portugues May 2019
I got my second Covid vaccine dose yesterday and nearly cried with relief. I am a health care worker (in Obstetrics) but we have been seeing a steady increase in Covid positive pregnant ladies, this is on top of the increase in deliveries from 'Covid shut down' conceived babies ; >}. The first shot was a breeze, hurt less than my yearly flu shot, some tenderness at the site the next day. Second shot has given me a bit more arm, muscle pain but that is all. I pray for speedy inoculations for everyone who wants one.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member

Congrats, still waiting here.

Mycroft

Glad you are moving along.
Yesterday I got four, count 'em four, emails from the office of my state's governor telling me I was eligible to get mine now. I see too many people who really need it more than I do, so I not signing up yet.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Frances May / Jun 2015
Camino Frances Oct / Nov 2016
Camino Frances May-Jun 2018
CF 2020?
Received my first one yesterday. No side effects at all. As a health care provider I have attended three online seminars on COVID and the development of the vaccine. I hope Spain will open its borders to those of us who have received the two shot protocol.

Camino Frances May / Jun 2015
Camino Frances Oct / Nov 2016
Camino Frances May-Jun 2018
CF 2020?
Cngratulations @JillGat!

In PA, and we are slow in this state with services. Unfortunately, we do not expect shots, till the Spring. Much confusion here. I am hoping a later shot will translate into immunity for a September trek, when I am still somewhat hopeful we may be able to Camino! Nevertheless, we are not yet sure how long the vaccines will protect us all, so we all will need to wear PPE when we travel 2021!
I agree we, in PA, are somewhat behind the power curve...old aviation saying...I am in Monroe County and as an active EMS responder got my first shot yesterday. Hopefully you will be called soon.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
They are trying to get health care professionals out of retirement to help. That may be why?
Ugh, I wouldn't go back. I was surprised when I got the vaccine appointment and really did think it must have been either a lottery or that there was a lot more vaccine available in my state than I thought. After I got the shot, I found out that only the first priority group - healthcare workers and people who are in resident facilities - of which I don't really belong, were called. So calling me was a mistake. I'd have given it up for somebody more vulnerable, if I'd known. Hopefully things will move more quickly and everyone will soon have the opportunity to get vaccinated. The problem will be the many skeptical people who don't trust this vaccine. They will make it difficult for herd immunity to be achieved.

Camino Norte and Frances Sept 6 - Oct 11, 2016
Lucky you

JillGat

la tierra encantada
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Well done madam! Are you certain you’re not British?

The mother of a good friend of mine couldn’t narrow the paternal candidates down much closer than ‘the brass section of the band of the Grenadier Guards’.

No, because if I were British, it would be the Ministry of Health, not the Department of Health. :D

Camino Passport
Original passport made by the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Shipped from Santiago all around the world with DHL.
Create your own ad

Kiwi-d

Camino Frances Sep/Oct 2014
My son living in Austria and working in an operating theatre got his first shot on Friday. He said it was easy and he hasn't experienced any adverse reaction.

Frances 2016; Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre/Muxia 2017; Aragones 2018; Suso/Yuso, Meseta 2019
Dear Camino friends,
I am truly happy for those of you who have received your first or even second Covid shot. There are however, many, many others who for a variety of reasons beyond their control will have to wait weeks or even months longer to receive even the first shot. Please keep this in mind and temper your personal celebration, perhaps taking a quiet moment to remember those still ill and those left only in our memories. Thank you!

JillGat

la tierra encantada
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Dear Camino friends,
I am truly happy for those of you who have received your first or even second Covid shot. There are however, many, many others who for a variety of reasons beyond their control will have to wait weeks or even months longer to receive even the first shot. Please keep this in mind and temper your personal celebration, perhaps taking a quiet moment to remember those still ill and those left only in our memories. Thank you!

Absolutely. Thank you. Part of my celebration is because the the immunization is HERE. But clearly many vulnerable people are having to wait much longer for this protection and, tragically, many have died and many more will die before this is over. If I had been able to pass my shot onto someone else who needed it more, I would have. Thanks for your reminder of this.

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
My wife gets her second vaccine tomorrow (January 11, 2021). The only side effect thus far was injection site soreness for a day, but nothing else.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
2021 Camino Guides

Raggy

Veteran Member
2017, 2018, 2019
My mother is scheduled to receive her first shot this week. I think she's a little offended to learn that she is such a high priority. Haha.

(She's not really offended. She's actually thrilled to know that it won't be too long before she is able to hug her grandchildren again).

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
My wife got her 2nd vaccine injection yesterday and once again, the only side effect is injection site soreness (Same as after the 1st injection).
Just having both injections and following CDC recommendations (Distancing, handwashing & Masking) has, for now brought a mild sense of relief to my household.

4 Eyes

CF from SJPP 14, VDLP from Seville 15, DN&P from Irun 16, Portuguese from Lisbon 17, CF from SJPP 18
Congrats to you all who got your shots! Thought my turn would come soon but oops, the stockpile of doses they were going to release to the states turn out not to exist at all except on paper. Oh well, just have to wait longer.