• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Got my first Covid-19 shot!

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
Today I got my first Covid-19 vaccination. In three weeks, I will get the second. It's a robust vaccine, with 95% protection. They don't know, quite yet, whether being vaccinated completely prevents contracting and spreading the virus (even if you don't get sick), so still have to wear a mask and be careful. We also don't know how long the protection will last. But I am relieved to get it! Will have to see how things play out, whether I will be able to walk this Spring.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lucky you indeed :)
Two friends also got their shots already.
Have to admit, as someone likely to get my shot in the second half of this year - at best - i am a bit jealous. But i understand and accept the priorities set out.

The shot that was heard around the world!
Best news I've heard this week; That's one less person in the queue ahead of me... another billion or so to go. I don't think I've ever been in such a long line before. This must be what Sarria feels like.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Today I got my first Covid-19 vaccination. In three weeks, I will get the second. It's a robust vaccine, with 95% protection. They don't know, quite yet, whether being vaccinated completely prevents contracting and spreading the virus (even if you don't get sick), so still have to wear a mask and be careful. We also don't know how long the protection will last. But I am relieved to get it! Will have to see how things play out, whether I will be able to walk this Spring.
wow lucky you, we have barely started here in Canada and from the looks of it it will 2022 before most of us get the vaccine.

Good for you. 🙏
When everything is going to plan I got my first shot somewhere in March.

Cngratulations @JillGat!

In PA, and we are slow in this state with services. Unfortunately, we do not expect shots, till the Spring. Much confusion here. I am hoping a later shot will translate into immunity for a September trek, when I am still somewhat hopeful we may be able to Camino! Nevertheless, we are not yet sure how long the vaccines will protect us all, so we all will need to wear PPE when we travel 2021!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Happy for you! Either you're older or more vulnerable than you look, or your local waiting list is moving fast.

wow lucky you, we have barely started here in Canada and from the looks of it it will 2022 before most of us get the vaccine.
I think anyone over 60 in Canada will be in line by June or July. We are not as bad as you think given 2 more vaccines are under review and once there are 4 approved vaccines plus 2 more reliable ones lined up for approval thereafter it will go very fast.

Husband, aged 81, had his first shot on Dec 20th, Lancaster, UK

€60,-
I am jealous!

Wow, your posts and avatar are totally misleading. I take it you must have underlying conditions which you have never mentioned. I am in group 5 in the UK and have to wait until late March/ late April. So be it, it is extremely important that those most likely to die from C19 complications get protected first along with those front line workers who we depend upon for all illnesses, not just C19. Those who are fit enough and young enough to shake it off just have to wait in a very long line. A bit like crossing the meseta, I know when I leave Burgos that eventually I will get to Astorga but the time it takes tests my patience. The road can be a lot quieter, because so many have jumped ahead.

Happy for you! Either you're older or more vulnerable than you look, or your local waiting list is moving fast.

I'm not sure how I got pushed towards the front of the line. I have no underlying conditions that make me more vulnerable. The online registration asked for work status and I put "retired." For "occupation" I put "Healthcare", which is what I did before I retired. Either that put me at the front of the line or there's some kind of lottery, or the person making the decisions is somebody I slept with when I worked for the Department of Health. :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congrats! Good for you!!!
I am in the same boat as @Marbe2 - MontCo in PA. Not in any group that would be 'expedited' so to speak so just have to keep my fingers x-ed and hope that it will get to me before mid-May (figure I need a week or so before my planned departure of May 20 so I can have all necessary papers ready and hopefully fell good enough to travel)

I'm not sure how I got pushed towards the front of the line. I have no underlying conditions that make me more vulnerable. The online registration asked for work status and I put "retired." For "occupation" I put "Healthcare", which is what I did before I retired. Either that put me at the front of the line or there's some kind of lottery, or the person making the decisions is somebody I slept with when I worked for the Department of Health. :D
Maybe they want to call you back!

Anyone, anywhere, being vaccinated reduces the overall risk to everyone else, so I’m pleased for you.

I should also be pleased that I’m not in an ‘at risk’ group which qualifies for priority.

If only the plump, balding and pompous were to inherit the earth I’d already have been measured for the crown.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
... somebody I slept with when I worked for the Department of Health. :D
Well done madam! Are you certain you’re not British?

The mother of a good friend of mine couldn’t narrow the paternal candidates down much closer than ‘the brass section of the band of the Grenadier Guards’.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you cannot find someone to sleep with another quite legal way to get the vaccine out of turn is to go along to the vaccination centre and wait until they finish. There is always a chance that they have some left over and like frozen chicken they cannot refreeze them and would otherwise would be wasted.This works now but will not work when other vaccines come online

I will get shot #2 next week, so feel incredibly lucky. But what is important for all of us to remember is what is still unknown. We don't know if being vaccinated will prevent us from being asymptomatic spreaders. That data is not yet available because of how the Modern/Pfizer trials were carried out. So I will continue to hunker down, post vaccination, until Dr. Fauci tells us it is safe enough to go to the store instead of doing curbside, safe enough to enter the post office where some people don't wear masks, safe enough to have gatherings inside with non "pod" members, safe enough to travel for reasons that are not essential, etc etc. We all need to protect one another. And that means no camino until at least the fall of 2021, and more likely it will be 2022. And when 2022 arrives, will we figure out that actually it will be 2023? My being more protected is wonderful, and I am grateful, but we will still need to consider the safety of the larger community.

€60,-
Gosh it’s wonderful that we on the Forum are able to share such great news - the long-awaited vaccines are happening! It’s a kind of miracle that it’s happened so quickly but of course it’s down to the extraordinary commitment on the part of all those who worked so selflessly to get the vaccines rolling out.
Best wishes and Buen Camino from Oz -
Jenny

They are trying to get health care professionals out of retirement to help. That may be why?

I got my second Covid vaccine dose yesterday and nearly cried with relief. I am a health care worker (in Obstetrics) but we have been seeing a steady increase in Covid positive pregnant ladies, this is on top of the increase in deliveries from 'Covid shut down' conceived babies ; >}. The first shot was a breeze, hurt less than my yearly flu shot, some tenderness at the site the next day. Second shot has given me a bit more arm, muscle pain but that is all. I pray for speedy inoculations for everyone who wants one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As long as you all remember it takes around 10 days On average for the vaccine to work, you are still at risk until then.

Keep safe, keep distanced and masked and keep washing those hands.

Congrats, still waiting here.

Glad you are moving along.
Yesterday I got four, count 'em four, emails from the office of my state's governor telling me I was eligible to get mine now. I see too many people who really need it more than I do, so I not signing up yet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Received my first one yesterday. No side effects at all. As a health care provider I have attended three online seminars on COVID and the development of the vaccine. I hope Spain will open its borders to those of us who have received the two shot protocol.

Cngratulations @JillGat!

In PA, and we are slow in this state with services. Unfortunately, we do not expect shots, till the Spring. Much confusion here. I am hoping a later shot will translate into immunity for a September trek, when I am still somewhat hopeful we may be able to Camino! Nevertheless, we are not yet sure how long the vaccines will protect us all, so we all will need to wear PPE when we travel 2021!
I agree we, in PA, are somewhat behind the power curve...old aviation saying...I am in Monroe County and as an active EMS responder got my first shot yesterday. Hopefully you will be called soon.

They are trying to get health care professionals out of retirement to help. That may be why?
Ugh, I wouldn't go back. I was surprised when I got the vaccine appointment and really did think it must have been either a lottery or that there was a lot more vaccine available in my state than I thought. After I got the shot, I found out that only the first priority group - healthcare workers and people who are in resident facilities - of which I don't really belong, were called. So calling me was a mistake. I'd have given it up for somebody more vulnerable, if I'd known. Hopefully things will move more quickly and everyone will soon have the opportunity to get vaccinated. The problem will be the many skeptical people who don't trust this vaccine. They will make it difficult for herd immunity to be achieved.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lucky you

Well done madam! Are you certain you’re not British?

The mother of a good friend of mine couldn’t narrow the paternal candidates down much closer than ‘the brass section of the band of the Grenadier Guards’.

No, because if I were British, it would be the Ministry of Health, not the Department of Health. :D

My son living in Austria and working in an operating theatre got his first shot on Friday. He said it was easy and he hasn't experienced any adverse reaction.

€60,-
Dear Camino friends,
I am truly happy for those of you who have received your first or even second Covid shot. There are however, many, many others who for a variety of reasons beyond their control will have to wait weeks or even months longer to receive even the first shot. Please keep this in mind and temper your personal celebration, perhaps taking a quiet moment to remember those still ill and those left only in our memories. Thank you!

Dear Camino friends,
I am truly happy for those of you who have received your first or even second Covid shot. There are however, many, many others who for a variety of reasons beyond their control will have to wait weeks or even months longer to receive even the first shot. Please keep this in mind and temper your personal celebration, perhaps taking a quiet moment to remember those still ill and those left only in our memories. Thank you!

Absolutely. Thank you. Part of my celebration is because the the immunization is HERE. But clearly many vulnerable people are having to wait much longer for this protection and, tragically, many have died and many more will die before this is over. If I had been able to pass my shot onto someone else who needed it more, I would have. Thanks for your reminder of this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife gets her second vaccine tomorrow (January 11, 2021). The only side effect thus far was injection site soreness for a day, but nothing else.
As I read this I thought that you were going to say:
The only side-effect so far was an inability to stop talking about it! 😁

My mother is scheduled to receive her first shot this week. I think she's a little offended to learn that she is such a high priority. Haha.

(She's not really offended. She's actually thrilled to know that it won't be too long before she is able to hug her grandchildren again).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife got her 2nd vaccine injection yesterday and once again, the only side effect is injection site soreness (Same as after the 1st injection).
Just having both injections and following CDC recommendations (Distancing, handwashing & Masking) has, for now brought a mild sense of relief to my household.

Congrats to you all who got your shots! Thought my turn would come soon but oops, the stockpile of doses they were going to release to the states turn out not to exist at all except on paper. Oh well, just have to wait longer.

I am sending this note to let those who might have some apprehension about getting a COVID shot, not to worry.

I received my first shot yesterday (Pfizer). It was a well organized event run by our county (Will) in Illinois and the shots were administered by Firemen. We signed up with our County on January 12th. The total process from entry, to shot, to recovery took approximately 30 minutes. The shot itself was barely noticeable, less than a pin prick, honestly. That evening we had a email for our next shot sign up with a four day window.

I realize every country, state, county, city etc. is probably using a different process. Some will be more efficient than others. That said, we have a vaccine, It will be coming to you in the near future and do not hesitate/or fear the shot.

My wife and I have had no side effects. Looking forward to seeing you all soon on a Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:

€60,-
I am sending this note to let those who might have some apprehension about getting a COVID shot, not to worry.

I received my first shot yesterday (Pfizer). It was a well organized event run by our county (Will) in Illinois and the shots were administered by Firemen. We signed up with our County on January 12th. The total process from entry, to shot, to recovery took approximately 30 minutes. The shot itself was barely noticeable, less than a pin prick, honestly. That evening we had a email for our next shot sign up with a four day window.

I realize every country, state, county, city etc. is probably using a different process. Some will be more efficient than others. That said, we have a vaccine, It will be coming to you in the near future and do not hesitate/or fear the shot.

My wife and I have had no side effects. Looking forward to seeing you all soon on a Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

I am sending this note to let those who might have some apprehension about getting a COVID shot.

Ultreya,
Joe
Lucky you.

I am sending this note to let those who might have some apprehension about getting a COVID shot.

Ultreya,
Joe
Nice of you to post this 🙂
I also had my first jab last week, I was really dreading it as I was quite unwell after my first flu jab last year... I assumed the Covid jab would be much worse 😱
Nope. Everything went like clockwork, couldn’t fault the organisation...
No side effects whatsoever for 24 hrs, then just a bit of nausea and tiredness... Slept it off and woke up right as rain a few hours later. My husband was exactly the same.
It was the Pfizer vaccine btw and in the UK.
Only blip to the story is that here, we have to wait for something like 12 weeks before getting the second jab...which isn’t what was recommended originally.... Nothing we can do about it 🙁 Let’s hope it works! 😳🤞
So... I know we are all different and react in different ways but from my experience and my husband’s, also a lot of my friends I have talked to, it seems we were quite worried needlessly....
Ultreia! 😉

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get #2 on Monday (Feb 22). Have a trip planned in Vermont starting Feb 25th. So, need a COVID test also on Monday.
Going for a nighttime sleigh ride and make Snow Angels.
Oh wow! 😎 Enjoy!

Yesterday, I discovered that I was on the list of persons of a certain age (all the seniors not already vaccinated) to receive my vaccinations, beginning sometime in April. This is very good timing for me, as I should have my second dose before the fall, and hopefully by September Spain will be fully opened up for pilgrims. Also, I hope to be in good shape for the walk, having had knee replacement surgery in October. As I am an Albertan, I do not know when @nathanael will be vaccinated, depending on his province of residence and the decisions made there as to who should be vaccinated when. I hope that it will be soon for everyone and that our Prime Minister's promise for all Canadians to be vaccinated by September will be carried out. Congratulations to all who have received their shots already.

haha 'some one I slept with' I'm sure you would like to think that :) but more because you put health care worker when your not, as you are retired and not a healthcare worker anymore. Not luck at all, just sneaky answer !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Ultreya,
Joe
My wife & I unexpectedly were called by our county Health Dept as we deliver Meals on Wheels to house-bound people. We got our 1st shot on Fri 2/19. Hope to do a Camino sometime, but in the meantime I'm doing a virtual Camino in rural Wisconsin. I'm 61 miles in, with 421 miles to go.

haha 'some one I slept with' I'm sure you would like to think that :) but more because you put health care worker when your not, as you are retired and not a healthcare worker anymore. Not luck at all, just sneaky answer !
No, no, no!! I would gladly have given my shot up to somebody who is more vulnerable, if that's the way the system worked. I did not mean to "sneak" a vaccination. I did put "Retired" in the first question and the second question asked, "Occupation," which I took to mean generally what area my work was in. I did indeed work in healthcare. The process was flawed, to give me priority. But at that point, I decided that the more people who get immunized, the better. And, unfortunately, there are some who really should be vaccinated and opt not to.

No, no, no!! I would gladly have given my shot up to somebody who is more vulnerable, if that's the way the system worked. I did not mean to "sneak" a vaccination. I did put "Retired" in the first question and the second question asked, "Occupation," which I took to mean generally what area my work was in. I did indeed work in healthcare. The process was flawed, to give me priority. But at that point, I decided that the more people who get immunized, the better. And, unfortunately, there are some who really should be vaccinated and opt not to.
all good, just so true - the more we get immunised the better- then hopefully we can all go walk the Camino again! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got my first vaccination on Wednesday.
Second shot will be in May since the vaccine is Oxford / AstraZeneca.

I'm still a bit confused because it feels like I have won a strange lottery.
The Dutch 'system' is an odd mixture of age groups, risk groups, regions, available vaccines, several health organizations and the 'strategy' changes per week if not per day.

Out of this hat a rabbit hopped, with a card with AstraZeneca on it and my name.

I would have preferred Pfizer, but the best vaccine is the one you can get.
Reading about AstraZeneca I found that it is a lot better than its reputation and the good news keeps coming.

I had a sore arm on Wednesday, the arm that the needle had NOT touched, and the other arm was a little sore the next day.

Well said! Absolutely.
I didn’t care what vaccine I got, the only thing that worried me was the long delay (in the UK) between the 1st and 2nd jabs.
I had the Pfizer and I still don’t have a date for the second vaccination (Should be 11 to 12 weeks so we are told).
My friends and family in Spain and France (all older than me) still have not been vaccinated 🙁

Australia has only started vaccinations this week - and how I long to have those shots and be able to travel again. We are being told to be patient as we don't have any local transmissions - it is over a month since one was diagnosed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Australia has only started vaccinations this week - and how I long to have those shots and be able to travel again. We are being told to be patient as we don't have any local transmissions - it is over a month since one was diagnosed.

I just had my second Moderna shot, and I fear that its immunity will expire before I am able to travel again!

Yesterday, I discovered that I was on the list of persons of a certain age (all the seniors not already vaccinated) to receive my vaccinations, beginning sometime in April. This is very good timing for me, as I should have my second dose before the fall, and hopefully by September Spain will be fully opened up for pilgrims. Also, I hope to be in good shape for the walk, having had knee replacement surgery in October. As I am an Albertan, I do not know when @nathanael will be vaccinated, depending on his province of residence and the decisions made there as to who should be vaccinated when. I hope that it will be soon for everyone and that our Prime Minister's promise for all Canadians to be vaccinated by September will be carried out. Congratulations to all who have received their shots already.
If you follow current protocols, you should get your second within three weeks. Got first 1 Feb and second 22 Feb. No side effects!
Buen “shots R US” Camino
Arn

Thanks, Arn. Canada approved the AstraZeneka vaccination yesterday, even for seniors, although the maker does not recommend it for seniors. I believe from what I have read that the effectiveness of that vaccine, which has been set at 62.1%, may increase if a longer period is given before the second dose. So I really don't know what to expect, except that I would prefer not to be given a vaccine with such a low efficacy compared to Pfizer and Moderna. All is unclear at present, except for the anticipated month of my first dose.
I am not a doctor, that said, from all I have seen, if any government goes for the “quick fix” it may not be the right fix. Pfizer is proving effective. The current fatality rate is so low, I’d likely wait for the best option.
Bless you and yours!

I don't think we will be given a choice. Cost, local manufacture, ease of transport are all things that different countries will have to consider, as well as efficacy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just had my 2nd, but I'm not sure I want to get on a plane yet... -- just me, and MY choice. I don't want to start an issue about airlines and such... 😐

I don't think we will be given a choice. Cost, local manufacture, ease of transport are all things that different countries will have to consider, as well as efficacy.
As a mod, you have to be careful what you “appear” to support.
There are OTC options such as Invermectin that clinical trials prove effective.
We may never know!

Why not read the Edinburgh and Israeli studies of the Astra Zeneca vaccine in actual real life situations, I believe the WHO has published them.

One thing is for certain and without conjecture, is that we need as many people as possible with antibodies, however that happens throughout the world.

I got my first vaccination on Wednesday.
Second shot will be in May since the vaccine is Oxford / AstraZeneca.

I'm still a bit confused because it feels like I have won a strange lottery.
The Dutch 'system' is an odd mixture of age groups, risk groups, regions, available vaccines, several health organizations and the 'strategy' changes per week if not per day.

Out of this hat a rabbit hopped, with a card with AstraZeneca on it and my name.

Reading about AstraZeneca I found that it is a lot better than its reputation and the good news keeps coming.

I had a sore arm on Wednesday, the arm that the needle had NOT touched, and the other arm was a little sore the next day.

Idem for me @MinaKamina : first shot Astra Zeneca next Wednesday, second one end of May. Not in a risk group or due to age but because of my profession.

I love to hear that people are getting vaccinated! The more the better as we are still in the very early stages of herd immunity. This gives us so much hope and hope is a huge gift!

It's such a great feeling to get the vaccine! I got my first shot three weeks ago (I work at the public schools.) My second one is next Saturday. :) I hope to walk the camino in the Fall-- being more thankful than before!

As a mod, you have to be careful what you “appear” to support.
There are OTC options such as Invermectin that clinical trials prove effective.
We may never know!
As a Mod it's really difficult for me to get involved in these discussions. Most of the time I just sigh, ignore, or delete. But Invermectin, Invermectin? There are days when I despair.

Invermectin is a brilliantly effective anti-parasitical with a really good safety record and high effectivity. Unfortunately Covid-19 isn't a parasite. It's a virus, and Invermectin is about as effective against a virus as a baseball bat.

I'm from Toronto and hoping the same thing. I thought perhaps to go in May 2022 but that's just too far away! September would be fabulous, as long as Spain will let Canadians in again. Fingers crossed. 😊

As a Mod it's really difficult for me to get involved in these discussions. Most of the time I just sigh, ignore, or delete. But Invermectin, Invermectin? There are days when I despair.

Invermectin is a brilliantly effective anti-parasitical with a really good safety record and high effectivity. Unfortunately Covid-19 isn't a parasite. It's a virus, and Invermectin is about as effective against a virus as a baseball bat.

COVID-19 aside, Ivermectin is great for persistent head lice. "Hair's to yer Health". :)

Last edited:
Goodness! What a dream it will be to be able to get back on the trails! Glad you got the vaccine. My age and work demographic will be one of the last to receive it - so I hope that I am able to get back on the trails by August (so long as the countries re-open)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Goodness! What a dream it will be to be able to get back on the trails! Glad you got the vaccine. My age and work demographic will be one of the last to receive it - so I hope that I am able to get back on the trails by August (so long as the countries re-open)
Hello, danalivingabroad , and a warm welcome to the Forum.

If you are not familiar with APOC, here is a link which also may be a good Camino information source: American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a Camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

If there are specific subjects that you are looking for information about during your time here, we have a great search engine function. It is located at the top and to the right of the Forum pages.

Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.

I had my second dose of the Pfizer product two days ago. The first dose had me feeling a bit 'flu-like' which I had expected, with a bit of a sore area around the injection site. This second dose, where the jab was in a different arm produced no soreness, and no real noticeable symptoms.

I do have my COVID vaccination record-booklet tucked safely away with my American Passport, as it will likely be required as proof of vaccination to either get a COVID 'passport' for travel, or to be able to show the vaccination record itself.

If you cannot find someone to sleep with another quite legal way to get the vaccine out of turn is to go along to the vaccination centre and wait until they finish. There is always a chance that they have some left over and like frozen chicken they cannot refreeze them and would otherwise would be wasted.This works now but will not work when other vaccines come online
On the Big Island (Hawaii) we are vaccinating 75 and older, plus teachers, medical, first responders and essential services workers. As a retiree volunteer with the state disaster recovery teams, I’ve been working in multiple clinics each week. Happy to report that we are within a few days of having all of the seniors in group homes vaccinated, as well as nearing the end of the teacher and Med worker tranches. We are opening up to >70 group in a couple of weeks. Many jurisdictions need additional volunteers to help out with non-medical parts of mega-clinics (setup, registration, data entry, observation, tear down, etc...). The National Guard medics have been extremely helpful in extending the reach of the Dept of Health medical staff so we can reach 800-1000 jabs per day. [Side benefit is that volunteers get vaccinated to protect them and the people coming through the clinics.] We have been using gymnasiums (all doors open and fans blowing), as well as several large car parks (for drive up clinics). If you have time and inclination, reach out to your state or local health department and offer to help out. If we rely only on our state or provincial governments to get the vaccinations done it’s going to take a very long time. They are woefully understaffed (and underfunded) to deal with the scope and scale of the pandemic response, so whatever I can do to move this along...I’m all in.
See you on the trails...Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all!
Happy to say i had my first jab on 17th February next one 10th May!
Had man flu for three days;but kinda expected that !
I am so glad to have at least some protection from this virus after a year of waiting; the relief i feel is enormous.
I posted previously on another thread that the odds for me were not great;if i caught the virus with my solitary kidney running on 40%! I believe i would probs have become another statistic could be wrong but i was scared.

I think that we should all recognise the benevolence invested in the vaccines for the good of all.
Those who are in some way understandably sceptical could perhaps come to terms with the fact that;no government would be willing to risk millions of it's citizens by the injecting of a substance that's toxic at a cost of millions and to what end!

Woody

I love to hear that people are getting vaccinated! The more the better as we are still in the very early stages of herd immunity. This gives us so much hope and hope is a huge gift!
Especially as the World population is c.8 billion, unfortunately World herd immunity will be years away.

I am delighted by the uptick in vaccinations, and I think it’s really helpful to remember that vaccinations are showing themselves to be far more effective than first anticipated *and* that while it might be too early to measure how effective they are for reducing infection-spread, we are seeing a number of things already (even with the variants cropping up all over):

1: Reduced illness experience in those with infections (there are a few factors that go into this, but not every variant will be more virulent; and possibly vaccine effectiveness for reducing illness in those who do acquire infection).

2. Reduced infection rates even though the world N of the equator is still in the prime of cooler months that generally help viral spread.

3. Improved treatment outcomes for those who do have more serious illness (much has been learned in clinical medicine in one year).

The PHAC (Public Health Agency of Canada) is now indicating that with a 3rd vaccine just approved, and with the J&J likely to receive it soon, they are working on actually empowering pharmacies to deliver the vaccines (just as they do with flu vaccines) so that we might hit a combination of 60% of the eligible population either having *had* COV-19 or having had a full vaccination round by June.

I like to keep in mind that so far there is no indication that under-age 18 will be receiving vaccinations... and that cuts down on the world population required to hit a threshold in which the virus becomes an ordinary risk (in line with one’s daily commute on a highway, or other risks we have normalized as part and parcel of living).

We shall see!

I’m starting to think that I just might be back in actual on-campus classrooms (no windows, 50-70 students, about 400 square feet) 4 times a week by September.

Then I will start riding the LRT again, and from there, work my way up to the train to nearby big city... and then maybe return to the flying I used to do 3 times per semester to the Nation’s capital... and *then* think about a transatlantic flight...

Yep, yep, yep... that’s a tiny glimmer of hope right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm feeling hope - so much so that I'm very gently starting to walk a bit. There are a lot of extra layers on my body that need removing before the next Camino. And they are not clothes, or muscle. But the prospect of being able to travel to Spain is a strong incentive.

I had my first Jab, AZ, on the 3rd Feb so the next one should be the last week of April, which after 2-3 weeks hopefully should give me at least 5 months cover and/or at very least reduce my viral load if I do get it and I am unfortunately passing it on.

I'm feeling hope - so much so that I'm very gently starting to walk a bit. There are a lot of extra layers on my body that need removing before the next Camino. And they are not clothes, or muscle. But the prospect of being able to travel to Spain is a strong incentive.
Same here @Kanga 😳😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As of today all three elders in my family have been fully vaccinated: dad 90, mom 89, aunt 82. As my mom’s full-time caregiver I was able to receive the jab and I am also fully vaccinated.

Now, I can hang out at cousin’s home on cookout Sundays, still wearing my mask and not worry so much about giving or getting COVID.

Gosh, I wish I were boarding a plane to Spain tonight. I could use a camino right about now.

Now, I can hang out at cousin’s home on cookout Sundays, still wearing my mask and not worry so much about giving or getting COVID.
Agree that you need not worry so much but currently, as you are doing, everyone needs to still take all precautions as the vaccinations are not 100% (but not far off after 21-28 days) although they do stop "major issues" and reduce the chance of you passing it on should you contract the virus.

Just wanting to illustrate the difference the vaccination can make. No politics or vaccine nationalism intended, just an illustration of the effects.

There are two sources of information on infection rates - the EU one using a 14 day rolling average, and the UK one which uses a 7 day average. I've taken a pic of Kent and Calais which are 20 miles apart but are under two different vaccine regimes.

Around Xmas Kent was very high at 1200/100K. It is now 58. Calais is over 500/100K and in Dunkerque it is reported as over 1000/100K. The information was used to demonstrate that COVID is not seasonal as some have argued, unless Kent is now mid-summer.

PS I've been "shot" too.

Attachments

• Calais.jpg
    Calais.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Kent.jpg
    Kent.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 28
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think that the argument is that in winter/cold months people stay indoors and the virus is more easily transmittable. It is 6 degrees today in Dover so all things being equal there shouldn't be much changed in the rate in Kent from Christmas apart from a) people's behaviour, b) stricter lockdown from 5th January or c) vaccination. I have no knowledge of the action taken in Northern France.

It is because the air is more moist in colder months and the virus hitches a ride easier in a moist environment. Also indoors tends to not have as much ventilation as outdoors meaning that if someone is a passer then their breath will make up a larger percentage of air per cubic yard indoors than in a well ventilated area I. E. Outdoors.

This is also how influenza gets about.

€46,-
And colds and other infectious airborne diseases. 😉
I truly believe we need a rerun of the public infirmation campaign started in the USA in 1918, and taken up all over the world and certainly on UK TV in the early 60s.

" Coughs and sneezes spread diseases."

Maybe time to be updated and put out there.

I am not a doctor, that said, from all I have seen, if any government goes for the “quick fix” it may not be the right fix. Pfizer is proving effective. The current fatality rate is so low, I’d likely wait for the best option.
Bless you and yours!
Just saw this on the Irish RTE news
Sorry it's a bit disjointed but as I'm not able to transfer the link onto the post...
A couple of screenshots showing a little bit of good news!!
We got ourOxford jabs five weeks ago
It seems that ONE dose of either the Oxford or Pfizer jabs cuts the risk of the over 80s falling severely ill by 80%(UK health secretary this evening)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 23
  • image.png
    image.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
You can get those symptoms with any of the vaccines. If it helps I had the Oxford vaccine with absolutely no side effects, didn't even feel the injection. Any vaccine is lifesaving and lifesaving so long as you don't relax the way you have been careful face mask, distance, ventilation etc. All good news.

I will get my first shot in two days. I feel very lucky to have gotten an appointment on the first day my age group is eligible in Ohio. The sooner we all get vaccines, the sooner we can get back to Spain! Stay safe everyone!
Cat, they are vaccinating 40 year olds in Ohio?

Lucky you indeed :)
Two friends also got their shots already.
Have to admit, as someone likely to get my shot in the second half of this year - at best - i am a bit jealous. But i understand and accept the priorities set out.
Me too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.