• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GPS coords PLS! SJPP

K Turner

Time of past OR future Camino
August-October 2019 CF
I'm in SJPP, it's dark, no one is out except drunk people. I think Google Maps has me turned about. Where is the start of the Camino??

I think I'm on D933.

Signed,
Standing here lost.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Head over the river from the Pilgrim office and towards Porte d'Espagne. Look out for signs.

Or you join the drunk ones ;)

Buen Camino!
Several quite happy drunk people invited me. They were a bit too hands-on, LOL.

The only light is the moon. I hear a river and a rooster. Think I'll sit and pray someone comes by at some point!

I believe I'm on D933.

Several quite happy drunk people invited me. They were a bit too hands-on, LOL.

The only light is the moon. I hear a river and a rooster. Think I'll sit and pray someone comes by at some point!

I believe I'm on D933.
Find your way back to PO. If you step out of the office you have to descend to the right, go over the river, continue straight on to and through Porte d'Espagne and as I remember then there's a Y fork where you take the left one.

Here's a WikiLoc track if it would be helpful:
North is up but you are heading "down" so turn the map/track around to have better view.

you want the D301 then the D428.
The D933 will take you up towards Valcarlos.
Unless you want to go that way, backtrack to the old part of town, find the bridge by the church, and head South (across the bridge away from the church).
Edit - If you have no sense of direction, wait until it's light - there are many waymarkers.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, you're warmed up at least. ;)
Better safe than sorry; you were really smart to reach out and turn around.
Buen camino...onward and upwards!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
According to plan? LOL. It's all good, right? I'm back at the municipal (#55, just up from the PO). 2.5 hours of walking and I'm back where I started! Live and learn.
You are not the first... My first Camino I followed an Italian who 'knew the way' and we ended up walking 28kms and arrived in Valcarlos, some 13kms from SJPDP. I still look fondly at that GPS track! Laugh it off and enjoy the rest of your day!!

According to plan? LOL. It's all good, right? I'm back at the municipal (#55, just up from the PO). 2.5 hours of walking and I'm back where I started! Live and learn.
Better to get lost in the town than later on in the hills.

Anyway if you are fond of walking that early still in the dark I would suggest that the afternoon before you check the exit from town/village.

All will be good :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm reminded of an early scene in The Way when "Tom" steps out of the hotel to start walking the camino. He turns left and walks out of sight and then we see a group walking into view going the opposite direction followed a few seconds later by Tom. In the real world Sheen walked first in the correct direction, downhill towards the town gate.

@K Turner, may this be the worse that happens to you. Buen Camino.

You are not the first... My first Camino I followed an Italian who 'knew the way' and we ended up walking 28kms and arrived in Valcarlos, some 13kms from SJPDP. I still look fondly at that GPS track! Laugh it off and enjoy the rest of your day!!
These unintended detours do provide memories! Admittedly I was a bit grumpy this morning, but I feel better about it now. The albergue last night was surprisingly comfortable and everyone has been very friendly. (Maria at the PO is an absolute angel!)

Why do people leave in the dark?
:::then she thinks and remembers getting lost in the dark:::
That cured me!
Just wait until sunrise - if you're having to race for a bed, walk shorter distances.
ENJOY the Camino ... don't race through it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm reminded of an early scene in The Way when "Tom" steps out of the hotel to start walking the camino. He turns left and walks out of sight and then we see a group walking into view going the opposite direction followed a few seconds later by Tom. In the real world Sheen walked first in the correct direction, downhill towards the town gate.

@K Turner, may this be the worse that happens to you. Buen Camino.
That scene definitely wasn't shot on the Rue de la Citadele in which case your remark would be correct. I think it was shot on parralel D933 which slightly ascend towards the bridge over Nive as I remember.

But only few seconds later there is a faux-pas after talking to police inspector. Camino doesn't cross that wooden bridge. The bridge you want to cross you can see in the back of that shot. But the direction is the right one ;)

Why do people leave in the dark?
:::then she thinks and remembers getting lost in the dark:::
That cured me!
Just wait until sunrise - if you're having to race for a bed, walk shorter distances.
ENJOY the Camino ... don't race through it.
I tend to walk early. I have some medical issues that don't go well with heat. I will adjust as necessary here and just do what I can.

If you must, you must, @K Turner, nothing wrong with that at all - just scope out the exit from town the night before. ;)
Or if you want to play it absolutely safe (especially if you don't have mapreading skills and a sense of direction), use wikiloc tracks overlaid on a map app (like OSMand) on your phone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Did you get to Roncesvalles ok? How did it go?

I remember on the Le Puy route I once left a village in the rain and 8 hours later arrived in the same village. In the rain! It was really pretty though, I loved it! :cool:

Buen Camino!
Davey

You can download and install the Buen Camino app onto your phone, and you will always be able to find where you are on the Camino, or if you aren't on it!

Are you sure it wasn't a Brazilian called Paulo Coelho?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did you get to Roncesvalles ok? How did it go?

I remember on the Le Puy route I once left a village in the rain and 8 hours later arrived in the same village. In the rain! It was really pretty though, I loved it! :cool:

Buen Camino!
Davey
I have a couple of memories of adversity on the Caminos...In hindsight they make great memories and stories to share. 😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Better to get lost in the town than later on in the hills.

Anyway if you are fond of walking that early still in the dark I would suggest that the afternoon before you check the exit from town/village.

All will be good :)
This is good advice for every stop on the way, i make a point of checking the route the night before as it of looks different in the dark.

This is good advice for every stop on the way, i make a point of checking the route the night before as it of looks different in the dark.
So true! I walked around SJPP at least a half dozen times and had no trouble at all. Once dark though, it was a different story. No lights, etc. I think I got turned around with my online map and the multiple people still partying. Two locals invited me for a beer at 0430, a Welshman came over and hugged me, and a Frenchman really wanted me to eat some chocolate he was carrying. It was all pretty funny and definitely made my first SJPP morning interesting. I don't know if there are always parties going on all night there or if it was just because of all the holidays/events right now. Everyone has been beyond kind and compassionate!

That scene definitely wasn't shot on the Rue de la Citadele in which case your remark would be correct. I think it was shot on parralel D933 which slightly ascend towards the bridge over Nive as I remember.

But only few seconds later there is a faux-pas after talking to police inspector. Camino doesn't cross that wooden bridge. The bridge you want to cross you can see in the back of that shot. But the direction is the right one ;)
Actually we started our camino on that small wooden bridge. We walked it in the reverse way that "Tom" did, from the campground to get to the bridge at the town gate. I think it was filmed that way to avoid pilgrims messing up continuity.

You are correct about the hotel @KinkyOne. I thought I had sometime previously checked the location of the Hotel Continental and found it uphill of the gate. I think getting older is damaging my brain. At least on the Camino I won't be operating any dangerous heavy equipment.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back