• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GPS for Valcarlos route (and "all" Caminos) available here

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
MODS not sure if the title is right or slightly misleading as you still have to do it yourself :)

Hi!
There have been a few questions on here about where to find a GPX track for the Vacarlos way.
I hope this will help others . (and i don't end up looking a numpty)

I am walking from SJPP to Santiago next May and wanted the track (as i can hardly see jack and my tab talks to me from the GPX track)
I downloaded all the GPX tracks for Spain from the Dutch fraternity of St James.
There are GPX files for devices that use this format, and KML for Google Earth and Maps.me

Link here: https://www.santiago.nl/downloads/

Forgot this bit: add/attach the track to an email and send to yourself and open it on your phone/tab (you need an app like Gpx viewer on your device)and it gives options on where to open.

If new to Osmand+ you first load World overview map and then the SPANISH/FRENCH regional maps for the Frances (New Aquitaine (not sure if i needed it but that's where SJPP is) Basque Country, Castile and Leon, Rioja and Galicia from the list; i could have just downloaded all of Spain but saved space!
In Osmand + you have to load all routes in Spain and when that map opens click on the options tab and click follow track the main Frances track is first .
On my tab i added all my sleeps to Pamplona as favourites ; one of them is in Valcarlos i had modified my track to show direction arrows and it comes out near Hotel Roncesvalles.
Buen Camino all.
Woody

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There’s a massive library of .kml files provided on a Spanish government site here:

And a converter to .GPX format here

I’m smart enough to find this stuff; but haven’t a clue how to actually use it. Long live the paper map!

MODS not sure if the title is right or slightly misleading as you still have to do it yourself :)

Hi!
There have been a few questions on here about where to find a GPX track for the Vacarlos way.
I hope this will help others . (and i don't end up looking a numpty)

I am walking from SJPP to Santiago next May and wanted the track (as i can hardly see jack and my tab talks to me from the GPX track)
I downloaded all the GPX tracks for Spain from the Dutch fraternity of St James.
There are GPX files for devices that use this format, and KML for Google Earth and Maps.me

Link here: https://www.santiago.nl/downloads/

If new to Osmand+ you first load World overview map and then the SPANISH/FRENCH regional maps for the Frances (New Aquitaine (not sure if i needed it but that's where SJPP is) Basque Country, Castile and Leon, Rioja and Galicia from the list; i could have just downloaded all of Spain but saved space!
In Osmand + you have to load all routes in Spain and when that map opens click on the options tab and click follow track the main Frances track is first .
On my tab i added all my sleeps to Pamplona as favourites ; one of them is in Valcarlos i had modified my track to show direction arrows and it comes out near Hotel Roncesvalles.
Buen Camino all.
Woody
It's in our Resources section together with instructions in English on how to use it on a smart phone

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Be wary of the publication date of these routes.
Good to know! This, together with maps.me has been my go-to for all my camino routes for the
past few years and despite an odd error has proved invaluable. I must check and see if it's up to date..

I just had a look at the gpx for the Camino Portugués and there are many places where the route is inaccurate. Two places in particular on the last day of walking into Santiago. See images below.

The first one, if you followed the gpx (green) has you walk several hundred meters along a national road in dangerous circumstances. This is my backyard and I know it very well and I cringe every time I see pilgrims walking because they would not be the first to end their days along this stretch. The second is a few km later, and the gpx again takes you in the wrong direction. In most cases it is not a matter of which option is shorter it is a matter of which is safer.

The problem with offering gpx tracks is that they require lots of maintenance, and the people who most often rely on them for navigation (the easily lost) will just as easily follow them erroneously.

REMEMBER! Always follow the arrows and other 'on the ground' signage, regardless of what your gpx/app tells you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-04 at 10.28.42.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-04 at 10.28.42.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2022-08-04 at 10.27.24.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-04 at 10.27.24.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Check this web out ;-) and this for wikiloc compilation ready to use in its app.
buen Camino!

There’s a massive library of .kml files provided on a Spanish government site here:

And a converter to .GPX format here

I’m smart enough to find this stuff; but haven’t a clue how to actually use it. Long live the paper map!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.